Sign in to follow this  

Weatherman questions

I assume that the weatherman sits up on a big hill in Baja and is a relay for communications during the the race, right?

So, what is appropriate to relay on his channel. Only emergencies or is saying 502x is at mile 250 and hope that gets relayed to my pit crew ok or will that be frowned on since it is not an emergency?

You know me, don't want to piss anyone off:ride:

Gary

Your crew should only listen and never use the WMan channel unless it's an emergency. They should unplug their mic, just to eliminate any possibility of keying it.

Status on WMan is a no no generally.

If he refers to you or your crew as Richard Cranium you might be able to pull the 'Bama card, maybe he'd understand.

Your crew should only listen and never use the WMan channel unless it's an emergency. They should unplug their mic, just to eliminate any possibility of keying it.

Status on WMan is a no no generally.

If he refers to you or your crew as Richard Cranium you might be able to pull the 'Bama card, maybe he'd understand.

Good to know. I'll keep that Bama card just in case.

So does each team just select their own channel? Is there any common channels that position relaying and such is ok? Does Baja pits and all the others have there own channell? Am I going to crash my brains out messing with my radio?

Not sure if all pit services do this but your pit service should have its own frequency and your chase crew can listen to that to get updates when you pass through a pit. You can't 100% guarantee the pit will radio you came through or even have a record of you coming through though. Texting seems to work in a lot of places for chase crews to communicate.

Oh yes, and BBM didn't mention the most entertaining comments that Weatherman saves for the poor, hapless soul, who only wanting to get status on his racer or to inform SCORE that his racer is out of the race, offers up a Ham radio frequency in the 144 - 148 MHz range. If you think "Richard Cranium" is hard to take, just use a Ham radio frequency for your team frequency and listen to the response.

Why do you need a radio?
To find out how far behind me surfnride is?

.... :bonk: Oh my... I laughed out loud with that one! Good one!

I assume that the weatherman sits up on a big hill in Baja and is a relay for communications during the the race, right?

So, what is appropriate to relay on his channel. Only emergencies or is saying 502x is at mile 250 and hope that gets relayed to my pit crew ok or will that be frowned on since it is not an emergency?

You know me, don't want to piss anyone off:ride:

Gary

You'll hear people all day long asking weatherman for the time of day, status reports, or at the end of the race... telling jokes. All-in-all... it's best to use your pit crews channel (Mag7, BajaPits... your own) to relay as best you can, saving embarrassment for when you say your race number (dead give-a-way) ... and ask weatherman where your wife is at, or how to get to check 1. :bonk:

I know your a one family show down there, so using a SPOT device for family to check up on your position back home (updates as often as every 10min, to a website and map)... and relay that to your chase/pit team via text (cellular) messages. AT&T works phenomenol down there (just be sure to add Mex service before crossing in).

The pick-a-channel works, as not too many racers use a "registered" channel... not bike teams anyway. Just don't pick one that everyone uses... or have multiple programmed in. More than likely, you won't be able to talk bike to chase. Only chase to main pits (Mag7, BajaPits... or guys with big radios and big antennas). Even when pre-running, you can't rely too much on radios. Race day, I use a radio... put it on my pit support channel and let them know when I'm a mile out (Mag7 has signs starting at a mile out before the pits, then 1/2 mile, and sometimes 1/4 mile)... worked good for all situations as I came in and said; "17X race... just gas and water" or after a wad up, and had to remove whats left of a handguard; "17X race... need gas and 4mm allen wrench - remove left handguard" ...etc.etc.

If you need to borrow radios, I can loan you 3 portables and a mobile... as long as I'm not chasing someone myself (email me for more info).

JAT you may be heading back down south?

"may be"? ... naaa, plan is that I 'will' be heading down. Either to pre-run, or be there race weekend for other means. Or both. Not sure yet. And you Blake??

Thanks for the info guys. Just was not real sure but I think it is crystal clear now. Stay off the weather man channel unless blood is involved. JAT i've got a couple of radios so I think I am good but thanks.

What was so funny about wanting to know were surfnride is? Rumor has it that a person could cash in if he ( Ron) has some problems...I'm just saying.

For anyone that is interested I am planning on starting pre riding Sunday the 15th at rm240. Meet me down there and get your Alabama souvenior. Roll Tide!

Holliday rooooaaad!

19 days till I leave, shit the bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Anything can happend in Baja just ask Patrana. Just saying.......

Us the pit frecuency during the race and use the chase radio to listen only. Keep a note with the frecuency of the Pit services and weatherman just in case the chupacabras sends you on the wrong direction.

As JAT mentioned, using the IRC for tracking online is nice for family/friends back at home to send updates via texts but it will cost you another $150. This tracker is different and it failed on our team at the 500 so we got penalized for no data even though we ran a clean race.

Online tracking example: just pulled into Santo Tomas and make phone call at last year's 1000 to girlfriend for rider update, where is he, she says he is at Santo Tomas, I say I gotta go, next bike through (right behind a trophy truck) is our rider. Good thing we were looking for cuz his googles where un usable due to fog dust combo along the coast.

I was trying to decide wether to pay the extra $150 so my peeps back home could track me. It was then pointed out that when it quits at rm150 my Dad will be sending out the troops to scrape up my remains while I am doing 75 at rm300. No thanks. I'm sticking with just the cheapee and hope for the best. Besides I can only sell so much blood...was that the ups guy with my $800 exhaust system?

I was trying to decide wether to pay the extra $150 so my peeps back home could track me. ............

Spend that extra $$ on the SPOT Tracker... Attach it to your shoulder somewhere (high up and visible to the sky - as well as "in reach" when you detach from the bike) and share the SPOT link with everyone in your family. Add all your emergency contacts into SPOT to text them if you hit "okay" or "help"... etc.etc. Then use it when you go home... and are boar hunting, you just never know when you'll need "help". :bonk:

:bonk: I thought the E-Track (or online tracking) wasn't available this race?! Or is it, but they've just stopped manufacturing new units and are renting their in-house stock?! :bonk:

yeah, the spot tracker is a really killer product, I dont dont ride without it.

Yep! Ill be down there pre running the weekend before, heading back to Temecula Sun Night/Mon morning, and then going back down Thurs morning to enjoy the festivities and run a chase truck during the race for the team.

-Blake

"may be"? ... naaa, plan is that I 'will' be heading down. Either to pre-run, or be there race weekend for other means. Or both. Not sure yet. And you Blake??

according to Steve Myers from IRC, there will be no live tracking available for MC's for this race.:bonk: