450 vs 400

hi i was thinking about getting a woods and play 4 wheeler and i am getting either a 400ex or a kfx450 i was wondering witch u think i should get

do u ride in very techincal tight woods or are they a bit open trails , the 400 ex does well in techical woods were the kfx450 will need to be kept in its revs more and doesnt like to chug or lug down like a 400ex

tight trails but i play on the track and do wheelies and stuff

def go with the 400ex there alsome for tight woods and there bulletproof u can run the hell outa them and they keep coming back for more , and there great for wheeling 99-04 dont have reverse so if u want reverse which is great go with a 05 an up

im gettin a new wheeler as in new but i want 1 with good suspension bcause i ride crazy bumpy trails

Go with the Kawasaki, liquid cooling, fuel injection and a motor that packs a lot more punch than the 400ex. The ex is a solid machine, but you'll get bored with the power over time.

you can bolt on stock 450r shocks on the 400ex and that makes a big diffrence if u plan on jumping otherwise the stock pogo sticks work well in the trails , my 400 was on the trials 80% of the time the other 10 % i hit up my local mxtrack and i thought the 400ex had enough punch for what it was mine also had a stage 1 hotcam and a 10/1 wiesco pistion and a aftermarket pipe and airfilter for more low to mid power

400ex has an xr400 motor, thus the reason it's so bulletproof. i haven't ridden a stock one, i rode one with a new cam and a pipe, and i was thoroughly impressed. definitely packed a punch.

i love too scamble and ride a yfz450 and its a great trail/race bike (CQR will be able to vouch for that after i race w/ him this weekend :bonk: ) the only thing that sux is that it has no reverse but i think the kfx does and once you get used to the power of a 400 in the woods i would also think u would have wished you got a 450, given it be a kfx,trx,yfz or an outlaw 525. The 400x is fun like playing on a raptor 660 when it comes to wheelies but if you ride w/ bike or faster quads the 400 ex cant keep up.

everybody i ride with has a "faster quad" than i do mostly yfz's but there not faster in the trails!!! im usually the one stopping and waiting to see if their still coming!!! and i do ride with bikes too just went a couple weeks ago. they left me on the flats but i left them in the trails.point is its all about the rider! lol one more thing if its really tight trails 450's clutches tend to heat up and start slipping not the ex though keeps on chuggin.

A well built 416 or 426ex will keep up with just about anything on the trails and be very reliable as well.

I would not get either. I would get a Suzuki 450R or the new Yamaha 450X. The LTZ400 is a great machine too.

My vote goes for the 400EX to play with in the woods and on the track.... shock changes are definitely in order.....if you get serious and decide to race then you might want to look at some 450s......:smirk:

Go with a new Z400 - good suspension, fuel injected, bullet proof liquid cooled engine.

I just got rid of my KFX450 for an LTR450, the KFX was terrible in the woods - don't let the has reverse and only 46" wide fool you. The gearing sucks, the quad is twitchy at speed (and it's not even that fast stock). The rear suspension was the only thing I liked on the KFX.

I'd rather push my LTR backwards then deal with the other short comings of the KFX.

YFZ 450 for sure.. or a TRX450R.. the 450's are top notch now days. You will be happy with either and they are really reliable as both models have been out for several years. If you do find any problems with them ppl have fixes for.. I have a few friends that race xc with the kawi's and seem to be good quads after you figure out all the little electronic giggs.

The 400EX is the all time best tight trail quad, along with its little brother the 300EX! In this kind of stuff, you want an engine that will lug down. You aren't ever going to get out of 3rd gear, so having a bunch of overrev is useless.

All the 450's need to be ridden reved out, so there is going to be lots of clutch slipping required on a tight trail....gets very old very quickly. One of the magazines reviewed the new YFZ450X, and they said they rarely got out of 1st gear!!!

A good compromise for something that is more all-around, is the Z400! The Raptor 700 might be another choice if you want a torque monster, but all those cc's are just wasted on a tight trail.

I think it is funny that everyone thinks what they own is the best. The best thing to do is go to each dealer and test ride a few bikes. This is what I did and in the end the 09 Z400 is what felt the best. Price, looks, power and the way it feels sitting on it and the way it handles is what convinced me. The one thing to remember is that the 450's are set up for the track, so if you are planing on a woods bike, keep this in mind, they are going to be lower and wider.

everybody i ride with has a "faster quad" than i do mostly yfz's but there not faster in the trails!!! im usually the one stopping and waiting to see if their still coming!!! and i do ride with bikes too just went a couple weeks ago. they left me on the flats but i left them in the trails.point is its all about the rider! lol one more thing if its really tight trails 450's clutches tend to heat up and start slipping not the ex though keeps on chuggin.

sounds like you could be on a 450 and they could be on a 400 and you would still w8......... I just think the 450's and up give you something to grow into...... my wife will be trail riding my yfz this coming year cause i am getting a crf450r and she has never been on a quad.........

Edited by yfz_luv
sounds like you could be on a 450 and they could be on a 400 and you would still w8......... I just think the 450's and up give you something to grow into...... my wife will be trail riding my yfz this coming year cause i am getting a crf450r and she has never been on a quad.........

good luck with your clutch and overheating!!!my bike is the best in the woods everywere else not so much. im not into straight lines.when i get some shocks lookout on the motox track!!!