Sign in to follow this  

Unbalanced with stiff rear spring?

I have my sag right, 103mm rider and 28mm static (for enduro), but the spring is a 6.0kg and my fork springs are stock, will it really make the bike unbalanced? Are there any negatives to running the stiff spring?

2008 Yz 250

Like rks1 said so you may want to play with fork ht. in the clamps to help counter it some.......just start lowering them a cpl mm's at a time untill you like it.

doc

Thanks doc and Rks, I had them up 10mm through the clamps, should I go 5 down or run them flush?

Also will the valving on the shock cope with the stiff spring? Should I add more rebound damping than I had with the 5.5kg spring, and less comp?

I re-measured today with my tripper full (3litres) and my bumbag on with tools, and a full tank of gas and got 104mm rider with 24mm static, is this ok, I have heard that for enduro you can run as much as 105mm rider and 30 to 35mm static

Not to confuse you or throw a wrench in your sag setting, but I know a few ISDE racers who will ride with a little less sag at the beginning of a race - when their bikes are clean - if they know the majority of their day is going to be riding a mud-covered bike, one that can be 20 or more pounds heavier. They also change their usual "woods" compression and rebound to combat the extra weight on compression and stored energy return on rebound.

I re-measured today with my tripper full (3litres) and my bumbag on with tools, and a full tank of gas and got 104mm rider with 24mm static, is this ok, I have heard that for enduro you can run as much as 105mm rider and 30 to 35mm static

If you run with too much race sag like 105mm shock may feel harsh and there may be side to side effect also. There is allways deep ruts in enduro routes and that can cause problems if the rear is too low. Your footpegs start to touch the ground... no good.:bonk:

Settings and nitrogen pressure has also affect your sag numbers.

The YZ250 is a machine that is already very stable, on the verge of being too stable. I would stick to 100mm of sag. I know mine becomes a runnaway train at 105.