Sign in to follow this  

Doggin my Lil Red

Last Saturday had a crew of friends over for a ride on the trails by my place, I mostly rode my new steed the CRF450X, but then got back onto my XR250R (2004 model) it has brand new Kenda Milvilles on it and stuck like glue everywhere it went. But! I found myself pushing Lil Red harder than ever before. WFO on the straights and rowed it hard through the gearbox - only to approach turns, by clamping on the binders and throwing it down under hard throttle. The engine screaming! and bam shift, 3rd, 4th, 5th, full throttle....not a wimper not a complinat not an odd sound at the end of the day. Over logs, not a problem, uphills wheelying... :bonk: jumping over clumps of ferns and old logs, full on throttle chasing the CRF crew, and often in the mix with the CRF250X, my new 450 would pull away from everything in straights and I found that I was indeed faster on the 450. Sad to say...

I have an 03 XR250 now and am looking to upgrade to either a CRF250X or CRF450X. I ride a lot of tight single track and love my XR but I want to go with something with e-start. Based on your experiences, would you recommend the 250 or 450?

I have an 03 XR250 now and am looking to upgrade to either a CRF250X or CRF450X. I ride a lot of tight single track and love my XR but I want to go with something with e-start. Based on your experiences, would you recommend the 250 or 450?

Man.... if you've never ridden the new CRF450, let me tell you.. I also own an '03 XR250, and it's a HUGE difference in every conceivable aspect when you bounce back and forth between the 2 bikes.

Friend of mine has a CRF450R and I've ridden it a bunch of times. Those things are frickin unbelievably fast. They are also geared insanely high... too high for the woods or anything tight without lots of clutching. That front wheel comes up on throttle alone in 3rd gear when you stab it, and over the bumps, you can go at them so much faster and more confidently in the CRF than in the XR, and it springs into the air when you hit jumps and lands smooth as hell. That engine revs very high too and the power delivery is very linear from off-idle all the way up to the high revs. It took me a while to get used to riding a bike that has the ability to rev that high too, because our XR's aren't particularly high RPM type bikes and I used to always unknowingly short shift by a good 4K RPM's at first when I started riding the CRF when I was really getting on it.

It's an incredible rush and a ton of fun, but too much bike for tight stuff. If you ride tight trails all the time, I feel like the CRF450 is a disaster waiting to happen. After going back and forth between the 2 bikes, anytime I get back on mine... it literally feels like it has a weedwacker for a motor.

Oh.. and the other thing that sucks is that the CRF always seems to need work done to it. Not the most reliable bike. It can be a bitch to start when hot too, despite the Hot-Start switch... of course, my friend has the CRF450R which is kick start, and the X that you mentioned would be E-start.

I find it odd that you would even try to compare the CRF450 to a XR250. Apples and oranges.

I have a 2000 XR250 and went to a WR450 this summer. Yea I know. It was a tuff decision for me because I am a lifetime Honda rider. But now that I have done it, I am very happy. I felt comfortable on the WR from the first ride. The power is very controllable and the suspension, while stiffer than the XR, still soaks up the bumps nicely.