Sam Houston National Forest

No more Cycleland?

TRH is also being pushed out of their Skull Creek lease. OSHA got involved when a new mining operation took over and said no more motorcyles after Jan 1 2015.

That doesn't make sense but with OSHA that is the norm. :lame:

Yes. TRH has shared Skull Creek with mining ops since the early 90's....now it is a problem????

And from what I understand the hunting lease guys get to stay.....

TRH is also being pushed out of their Skull Creek lease. OSHA got involved when a new mining operation took over and said no more motorcyles after Jan 1 2015.

Howdy Jake. I heard about this Saturday at the SH Coalition meeting and was really surprised. Is TRH looking at any other areas to move to?

Jay how the hell are ya? The Skull Creek proprety owner has offered use of another property to the club.....BUT....it has no trees and has been mined out. So it is nothing but levees and craters. They tell me it has a good sized lake, but i have not been there.

There was someone talking about Cherokee on TWT the other day and I thought about you, Hippie, and Sandman. I'm trying to get back into offroad riding; have had 2 operations on my legs and have been out for a couple of years.

Hope the new location works out.

Last time i saw/rode with sandman was before Cherokee closed.

Hippie got divorced and moved to Virginia, I heard from him about a year ago he still rides the WR and has a razor.

I am headed out to Skull Creek this weekend for the TRH Christmas party. We will ride most of the day the party is at 7 ish. If you are interested let me know.

FYI. We are going to be cleaning the trails on the west side of the SHNF on 1/10/15 at 8:30am Saturday morning at the west side trailhead located off Stubblefield rd on FS 208.

Please try to attend.
The Forest Service just doesn't have the man power to do it.

Is this cleanup doable on foot? I won't be able to get on the bike for awhile, but would be happy to show up and help out if hiking it works. 

All systems go.

Ranger Jason said, "Rain or shine the work day is on".

30% rain Saturday. Highs of 40F.

Lunch will be served.

I'm not bringing my bike. You can drive to your assigned trail section.

Bring loppers and water.

I am working this weekend, so I went ahead and did a little work on the Northwest Ballon Loop yesterday. We started at the Northwest Trailhead off FM1791 and worked towards the trail intersection. We didn't quite get that far, we stopped right before the second pond. There was a very large new, still green, tree that had fallen across the trail I believe somewhere between the ponds that was too big of a job for me, my wife, and 10 yr. old son to handle.

Just a word of advise, be sure your chainsaw sharpening tools fit your chain. I bought the wrong ones the first time, and apparently the second time as well. I had a spare chain, but instead of small, very manigable logs, due to the dull chains, we had bigger, less manigable logs. But, we still got about 6 trees bucked and other smaller face slappers. There was still more that I could have done that we passed, but it wasn't impeding the trail. My son on his CRF 70 was able to go over everything we left. Again, there is still some left to do, but we ran out of daylight and only cleared stuff that we were able to clear and that we were not able to get over with his bike.

Hope y'all don't get too wet!

Edited by Wisewr
  • Like 1