Help On A Stripped Hex Bolt.

I own a 2008 Honda CRF250r and I cannot change the oil because I have a stripped hex bolt on the oil check bolt! :bonk:

So, I have tried hard to loosen it, but nothing seems to work. Can anyone give me some advise on how to get the bolt out?

Screw extractor kit? Vise grips? You could try to hammer a smaller size 12 point socket onto it(use an SAE size to step down one size).

Is it an Allen head cap screw or just a regular hex head bolt..got a picture? I'm not familiar with the Honda engine.

YOU CAN TRY THIS......Take a Dremmel with a small grinding wheel and cut a line into the head so you can use a screwdriver to unscrew it. If you don't have a dremmel, you can try a rotozip. Not as nice a cut, but it works. Go deep on the cut and easy on the screwdriver so you dont break the walls.

Used this technique a million times already and it works EVERY TIME.

Hope this helps??

YOU CAN TRY THIS......Take a Dremmel with a small grinding wheel and cut a line into the head so you can use a screwdriver to unscrew it. If you don't have a dremmel, you can try a rotozip. Not as nice a cut, but it works. Go deep on the cut and easy on the screwdriver so you dont break the walls.

Used this technique a million times already and it works EVERY TIME.

Hope this helps??

Anytime you post and that avatar is displayed, it helps.:bonk:

lol....

The oil check bolt ? Do you really need to have a check bolt ? Just drain all the oil and fill with the correct amount as per the owners manual. No need to check.

ez-out works for me. it can be a pain but they always come out

Regardless of what you use on it. First give a good hit with a punch and hammer to jar it loose a bit. Just be sure where your hitting it at is not doing more harm to the bolt.

Thanks for the help. I am probably going to use a screw extractor kit. As for the type of bolt, it is a cap bolt. Just like this, allen-cap_10588935_250x250.jpg

And when I get that bolt out, I am going to go to the hardware store and try to find a bolt the same size, but a socket bolt. Is there anything wrong with not using the OEM bolt? As long as I get the right size, it should be fine, right?

Thanks for the help. I am probably going to use a screw extractor kit. As for the type of bolt, it is a cap bolt. Just like this, allen-cap_10588935_250x250.jpg

And when I get that bolt out, I am going to go to the hardware store and try to find a bolt the same size, but a socket bolt. Is there anything wrong with not using the OEM bolt? As long as I get the right size, it should be fine, right?

Don't drill too deep or you'll break the head off the bolt. Try using the screw extractor without the bolt since it is an allen head.

You can use a regular hex head bolt but you'll have to make sure the head fits the space. Usually, when there is an allen head bolt, it is because the head of the bolt fits better in the space provided. When you get the hex head and put it in, you'll see what I mean.

If I were you, I'd get 1 allen head bolt and 1 hex head bolt so you don't have to make two trips. :bonk: