Sign in to follow this  

FCR Humor....

So, the local stealership wants to charge me $200 to install the TT FCR kit. LMFAO!!! ROFL!!!

Before I laughed at the overpaid moron, I asked, why so much? Lamo proceeds to tell me they charge the same amount to SWAP a carb as they do to CLEAN a carb. Huh? Are you freakin' serious??

Told this butt-nugget it should take a trained professional NO longer than the amount of time it should take to jet a carb. Gomer just couldn't understand. :bonk:

Yeah, I know, I know....it's suppose to be an "easy" install, but I've read of guys doing the install and running into a few problems. Namely, tuning. Since I have NO experience with carbs and NO time, I thought I would just pay someone.

Oh well, looks like I'm doing the carb myself. :bonk: I'll probably F it up, but oh well. it's better than paying the ridiculously over-inflated $200 price. Shi%, that's a cam.

Anyway...thought this would be funny to share. Thought I was gonna call and get an $80 quote or something. Stupid me for thinking an honest price.

Edited by n2stackin
do i need a reason??

Thought I was gonna call and get an $80 quote or something. Stupid me for thinking an honest price.

Would you feel better if they phone-quoted you 80 dollars and then wanted to charge you 200?

When you install it yourself, try not to screw it up more than 200$ of repairing, then you'll be ahead.

Nay. Call me crazy, but I'd feel better if they said $80 and charged me $80. Guess those glory days are long over and now we're in the rape 'em till they bleed days.

If you don't have the proper skill set to do it yourself don't knock a guy trying to make a living that has taken the time to get the proper skills to do such a job.

So, going by your logic, this guy can charge me $1,000 to do it and I should just shut up and pay the guy. WOW...that makes perfect sense. Huh?? LMFAO! You must be the person who actually pays the fools, or you work there. lol

Look, sorry about the sarcasm. Not trying to start a hate thread. Just thought it was a bit excessive. That same shop jetted my carb and tuned it for $80 4 months ago. It basically entails the same thing, so I figured it would be around the same price. They pull the carb, put it back in and tune it. Same thing to me.

Shops around here get 90 dollars a hour, i can see 200 bucks to swap and jet a carb. Its a legit number. Thats why i do all my own maintenance.

I see what you're sayin. I just need to suck it up and do it myself. Again, sorry for the smart ass reply.

Do it yourself and start learning. If it does now work right post back up and their is tons of help here.

You don´t have to pull the carb off the bike to change the jets.

To swap a carb is much more work than to jet one.

A pro mechanic can do a carb swap in 45 minutes, working slow. You average shade tree wrench will take two hours. Tesll you a lot about the shop if they think it will take over two hours.............

ummm.

I believe the amount of time it takes might depend on the bike model. Some are easier to work on than others.

Yeah do your own maintenance it will pay off. I do all mine and it pays off I might not get it right the first time but the second time I learn. If you learn it will help you macgyver stuff on the trail because you know how your bike is put together. Get a manual off ebay and a starter mechanic kit from sears craftsman is great tools and affordable. Thats all I do and I wrench on my family's 5 bikes from any thing from lowering links to full rebuild of my crf250x. I can remembering *** am I doing the first time took my bike apart but it went back together if it takes me 3 hrs to switch carbs then its saving money.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

IMO, all they have to do is pull off the old carb and put on the new carb. The new carb is already jetted by TT, so they don't even have to take it apart. All they have to do is plug in the computer and tweak it a little. There is no super jetting expertise and/or skill involved with this procedure. They straight up told me that when I was introduced to the mechanic that jetted my stock carb 4 months ago. The mechanic told me it took about 20 minutes to take it off because he had to wiggle it out. He also said the jetting specs I gave them were off when they put it back in, so they plugged it into the computer and tuned it in about 5 minutes. All in all, about 30 minutes worth of work. Double that and it's only 1 hour.

I guess my main complaint is they seem to be gouging us due to current market conditions. I agree an increase may be warranted to help them stay afloat, but a $120 increase is kind of crazy.

Oh well, blessing in disguise I guess. A buddy and I are going to dive into the carb this weekend and hope not to F it up too bad. lol

Bingo...much easier to swap some jets out than to change a whole carb. Maybe you should do some research before bashing a shop. I mean, I know dealers charge a lot but if they're charging you $80 to change the jets, then $200 isn't far off for installing an FCR. You said yourself that its not the easiest install and that people always run into snags so why would it be any different for them?

Since you're going to do it yourself now, I bet it takes you more than 2 hours to install that carb from start to finish. Like from when you get it up on the stand to firing it up afterwards.

If you don't have the proper skill set to do it yourself don't knock a guy trying to make a living that has taken the time to get the proper skills to do such a job.

you talk to the service writer who doesnt even touch the bike in most dealerships.. not to mention a $65+ hr shop fee in which the service technician doesnt even see 20% of.. so in all your just knocking the dealership's owner out while hes driving his bmw around town.. if anything take it to a local private shop where they actually take care of their techs, or otherwise learn to do it yourself

To swap a carb is much more work than to jet one.

Depends on the bike? I can get my carb completely out of the bike (KDX 220R) in less than 2 minutes. 2 screws and a fuel line. Comes right out the side.

This goes to show what brand bike is being used.

On my kx working diligently I can have the carb out the new one in and started in less then an hour. If jetting needs to be done on the new carb as long as it's the same size with just alterations the primar jetting won't be diffrent then the stock carb. As long as the stock carb was jetted right. Add 5 mins to swap jets.

If a full jet is needed add abot 30 minutes.

So. If it's just a carb swap with no jetting needed a 1 hour shop charge is it. And that shouldn't be more the. 100 bucks.

If jetting is needed then 200 could be exspected.

Depends on the bike? I can get my carb completely out of the bike (KDX 220R) in less than 2 minutes. 2 screws and a fuel line. Comes right out the side.

Of course it depends a bit on the bike. But you don´t have an FCR carb:p

Well, I took my time and got my FCR on, but boy was it a PITA!! Super tight fitting parts, a rubbing choke on the petcock, and the Merge Racing APS spring was not as "easy" as they stated it would be.

But all that being said....HOLY SHIT what a difference!! I now pull through all the gears and hit 80 mph in the time it used to take me to hit 45 mph. lol Craaazy!

Hands down, this should have been my first investment.

Thanks for all the do it yourself you effn lazy ass talk. I needed the push.

:bonk::banana::bonk::banana::bonk::banana::bonk::banana::lol::banana::lol::banana::worthy: