Sign in to follow this  

Beta 525 RS: want grab bar/rack

I am looking for a nice small grab/rack for the rear fender. I have seen a variety out there . Something like the pro billet size would be fine. The flatland looks sturdy but not so easy to grab. There is another on ebay that runs around $70 that looks nice... The KTM version looked good. I was wondering if one could be adapted . Anyway, just looking for ideas. I have heard that someone from Beta is working on this but I don't necessarily want to wait that long to get it. Thanks ahead of time.:bonk:

Ok...I know I can't be the only Beta guy who feels his rear fender/sideplate area pull out and bend. Maybe I am the only guy who is working on this? This is just a prod ....It would be great if someone had a rack that fit or could be adapted quickly. :bonk:

I was thinking about using a strap. Not anything metal. Just a thought.

I was thinking about using a strap. Not anything metal. Just a thought.

I have a tugger strap on my cr and it is ok. The leverage could be better. It is super light and easy to put on though. I bought grab bar called "animal handles" It isn't very attractive but works well and is pretty cheap for my honda. I'd like something nicer for the Beta. There is much more leverage and it's overall easier moving my bike with it on. I was looking at some racks from lc4 640 KTM's from around 2000. Those are nice, light and look like could work well. The BETA has that triangular air vent behind the seat so I am not sure if it would fit past that piece. I gotta get something in hand or get some dimensions to see if it would work. I don't like how when you grab the back fender to move the bike the plastics bend and act like it's about to break apart. I see where the new pics of the 2010 have a nice grab handle by the seat/rear fender. I have an RS so it would be ok to have something other than just my back pack to tie small things to. I might also put a very small bag for tools or whatever. :bonk:

Talked to my dealer today and he tells me a rack for Betas are soon to be available. If I got it right it is something like $160 retail and should come out in around a month. No pictures yet. I hope it looks good. That sounds reasonable enough especially if I can go home and just put it on instead of adapting something else.:bonk:

I finally got that one . It does look good. I didn't put it on since I was riding my cr getting ready for a possible mud bath hare scramble. It didn't rain so it was a uncharacteristically nice race on the 13th. I have a stripped insert on one of the seat mounts on the Beta so that's another thing. I gotta find a nice small bag to attach it to. I saw a nice bicycle bag at walmart that might work well. :moon:

I have a stripped insert on one of the seat mounts on the Beta so that's another thing.

On my 400 the pem fittings were removed and drilled and tapped the inside of the subframe.. good for just the seat but not good for mounting the rack.

I need to make a better seat mount bolt on the left side for the Baja designs side tank.. so I'm taking my 525 sub-frame to my welder next week. he is going to drill out were the pem fittings are and weld in solid .500 aluminum rod. will have to drill out some of the square bracing but that will help with strength.

from there I'll drill and tap the rod to fit the seat/side gas tank bolts.

I'm sure this would work well for the rear rack as well.

I'll get some pictures posted when I get it done.

On my 400 the pem fittings were removed and drilled and tapped the inside of the subframe.. good for just the seat but not good for mounting the rack.

I need to make a better seat mount bolt on the left side for the Baja designs side tank.. so I'm taking my 525 sub-frame to my welder next week. he is going to drill out were the pem fittings are and weld in solid .500 aluminum rod. will have to drill out some of the square bracing but that will help with strength.

from there I'll drill and tap the rod to fit the seat/side gas tank bolts.

I'm sure this would work well for the rear rack as well.

I'll get some pictures posted when I get it done.

As usual thanks very much. I have been lucky guys like you have gone through Beta issues and shared with the rest of the gang. Thanks for being so nice. My mods have been much less difficult because of this.:cheers::moon::smirk:

here are pictures of the modded sub-frame

pulled seat mount PEM fittings and drilled and inserted 3/8" or 10mm solid aluminum rod.. then I drilled and tapped

should give more mounting support for the rack and my side gas tank

009.JPG

010.JPG

There's got to be a better way here. Everytime the filter is changed the bracket for the rack has to be perfectly aligned on both sides with the number plate, seat,rack and assorted washers and allen screws . I didn't think much about it till I started fooling with this yesterday. I can see why the new 2010 bikes have a newer easier design.

Think Boano racing made some side entry air box covers so that you don't have to take off the set to take out the air filter.. might be a little tight but you might want to look into that.

I'll take a look as I have the sub-frame off the bike.. there could be a way to hinge the left side and do a DYI mod..

Think Boano racing made some side entry air box covers so that you don't have to take off the set to take out the air filter.. might be a little tight but you might want to look into that.

I'll take a look as I have the sub-frame off the bike.. there could be a way to hinge the left side and do a DYI mod..

I went on the Boano racing site and didn't see it...can you point into where you saw this?...I will continue looking. Sounds like a good idea though.:moon:

It's in their carbon race parts section

holly cow..not cheap

looks cool

2_489.jpg

1_489.jpg

Check out these fittings similar to the airbox door fittings shown.

http://www.southco.com/landingpages/dzus/

I am trying to figure a system for a quick release seat . I just watched the 2003 ISTD video and saw a bike that had a quick release fitting on the seat of one of the bikes. I know someone out there has seen one of these and may have some ideas. I think one of the older ktms (maybe an old 640?) come with one of these. If the seat has a quick release I can avoid the pain it is to align plastic,seat mount , subframe and washers on each side to make air cleaner and battery maintenance easy . Any ideas? info ? links?:thumbsup:

Haven't got my Beta yet - it is supposed to be delivered today! :thumbsup:

...So I'm not quite sure what you are up against, but how about a pair of ball-lock pins? Such as:

http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/index.cfm/27625071F0B221118070C1C513E111D081B0006280B1713050245221E0107070F1A3C3B2853564A

Thanks! This looks like a piece that can be used. I am still in the beginning stages of this. I like kenaroos setup. I may do it that way but still want a way to get the seat on and off fast. I put the rack on the back so there is a great grab handle now. What Beta are you getting? Congrats!! I love my bike. I am sure you will too.

Thanks! This looks like a piece that can be used. I am still in the beginning stages of this. I like kenaroos setup. I may do it that way but still want a way to get the seat on and off fast. I put the rack on the back so there is a great grab handle now. What Beta are you getting? Congrats!! I love my bike. I am sure you will too.

When the truck came, it was the first time I ever saw a Beta - Wow, what a beautiful machine. It is a '08 RS450. Came very secure in a big steel cage from Cameron @ IndyMoto. I love it!

DSC01606.jpg

DSC01620.jpg

And with my other baby...

DSC01629.jpg

Edited by 451sonex