Sign in to follow this  

Which 250 Trail Bike

I'm looking to buy a trail bike over the winter and was hoping to get some advice. Here is what i'm looking for specifically

-250cc 4Stroke Liquid Cooled

-Headlight/Taillight for night riding

-E-Start and Kickstart

-something that can get me through the sand and climb some hills too.

-I'm not looking to do any big jumps with it so that is a non issue most of my riding will be trail except for the occasional sand pit

I have been reading a lot and so far i have taken a liking to the Yamaha WR250, and Honda CRF250X primarily. But today i noticed the kawasaki KLX250S, but it is a dual sport and i really wonder how good the gearing is going to be for off road.

Does anyone have any other models i should be looking at? I'll entertain older models as well but preferably nothing older than 2002, maybe i would consider a 2000 for a good price. I'm mechanically inclined and have no problem working on my bikes.

I'm dead set on the 250 4T so power and everything is figured out. Unless you guys now a bike with similair output, weight etc that would be a better choice. Thanks in advance for all the information.:bonk:

Thanks, it's just nice to get some input from others in case i missed a bike with all my research. There are so many out there i wouldn't be surprised if i did.

MadRiver10-78038.jpg

Buy a KTM 250 xcfw. If you can find an 08 they are a great deal now.

Lightest most powerful 250 4 stroke out there, I've tried them all to compare.

Mine cruises at 60 with a top speed of 80 and still chugs easy in first so the wide ratio gear box on the KTM is great. Valves on these bike never move either. Very dependable IMO.

Not to start the 2T and 4T debate but don't rule out any 2T's. I have had both and my newest was a WR250and was an awesome bike. Depending on the type of riding and where the WR seemed big and heavy in the tight stuff. But the smooth power delivery and torgue were a plus. I then picked up a KTM 250 XC-W and couldn't be happier. Just love the power and the weight difference is amazing! Just my opinion.

I'll check out the KTMs too thanks for the info. I would love one just have to save a little bit extra. And 2T are not completely ruled out if there are ones out there that can do what i'm looking for. I just haven't found any.

If you are looking at e start KTM 2 strokes the the KTM 250 xcfw e start they weigh the same 227 lbs ready to ride no gas no lights.

However the 250 4 stroke gets better mileage so you will need to carry more fuel on the 2 stroke so that means the 4 stroke will actually be lighter by about 5 to 7 lbs at the start of the ride anyway.

If you ride very much DS at all the 4 is better for that too IMO.

The e start KTM 2 strokes are cool though and if I didn't ride this 250 xcfw I would ride a e start 250 xcw 2 stroke. I just like the torque on the 4 stroke though and it makes it easier to ride longer. For me anyway.

Pretty hot looking GG !!!

Looks like a Yami engine in there? What gearbox? the mx or the wr?

I'll check out the KTMs too thanks for the info. I would love one just have to save a little bit extra.

I paid $5500 out the door for my KTM and it came with $1200 in hardparts...

Not bad IMO.

I did pay for a Sicass racing dual sport kit though but it has a 65 watt halogen bulb in the head light that runs off the stock stator.

husky wr125 is the 2t equivalent to a 250f enduro

BTW a kx125 has a better range than a crf250x

Edited by minimotos95

Pretty hot looking GG !!!

Looks like a Yami engine in there? What gearbox? the mx or the wr?

WR engine and gearbox. They offer a 290cc athena big bore too.

I paid $5500 out the door for my KTM and it came with $1200 in hardparts...

Not bad IMO.

I did pay for a Sicass racing dual sport kit though but it has a 65 watt halogen bulb in the head light that runs off the stock stator.

Nice price it is looking good for me then :bonk:

Sweet looking GG you got there! I don't know how to even obtain one of those i have never seen them in my area at any dealer.

If you are looking at e start KTM 2 strokes the the KTM 250 xcfw e start they weigh the same 227 lbs ready to ride no gas no lights.

However the 250 4 stroke gets better mileage so you will need to carry more fuel on the 2 stroke so that means the 4 stroke will actually be lighter by about 5 to 7 lbs at the start of the ride anyway.

If you ride very much DS at all the 4 is better for that too IMO.

The e start KTM 2 strokes are cool though and if I didn't ride this 250 xcfw I would ride a e start 250 xcw 2 stroke. I just like the torque on the 4 stroke though and it makes it easier to ride longer. For me anyway.

For me a 250 2T is just more power than i feel i will need that is why i'm looking at a 4T. When i was riding the CR80 i totally forgot how much a 2T can put out for something so small. The front would lift up regularly at full throttle. Also i haven't seen any 2T set up with lights already, and i'm going to need it since i work a 9-5 and it gets dark early sometimes and would like to ride after work.

But lets keep the advantages and disadvantages of 2t vs 4t out of it. I did consider a 125 2T but the frames seem a lot smaller than the 250s, correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't ever intend on DSing the bike.

Does anyone have any other models i should be looking at? I'll entertain older models as well but preferably nothing older than 2002, maybe i would consider a 2000 for a good price. I'm mechanically inclined and have no problem working on my bikes.

Husqvarna TE250. If you want more info let me know. I love this bike!

southernutah007.jpg

I tried a 2 smoker and I was actually faster smoother on my 4 stroker 250.

reddog2010.jpg

I tried Husky for a couple of years but once I went with KTM I have never looked back. While this is a pic of my TC250 I had several TE 450's and TE250' 05, 07 etc...

tableforone010.jpg

Just saying I have tried a lot of optons and ridden a bunch of miles on them and overall for what you are asking for I think the KTM 250 XCF-W is a more than good choice. You toss a HT racing big bore on it and well ... Do a search here on TT and you will find it pretty well accepted.