Sign in to follow this  

what's so great about KTM's?

I've ridden yahama and Honda bikes my whole life. I've felt more at home with the yahama but whatever. anyway I hear all the time how people switch to ktm. and they never wanna go back. what's so great about a KTM? I've never touched one btw.

They make enduro specific bikes instead of MX conversions, on the trail the difference is significant.

• Like 1

i have a yz250f 06 and a 300 exc 08 so i am qualified to comment.

KTM make a superior enduro machine by virtue of rideability and you can customise the power easier.(2 stroke that is)

I love working on my ktm and build quality seems a touch better.

I have both because i beleive the Yami is a far better MX bike, i would only sell it if i had sx suspension to fit to the KTM.

Comparing an MXer to an enduro is probably not an accurate asessment although i have ridden a 250sxf 08 and rated it highly against my yamaha both in suspension performance and power.

• Like 3

They make enduro specific bikes instead of MX conversions, on the trail the difference is significant.

Agreed, I love the out of the box ready to race Enduro and Harescramble bikes!!! I rode Yamaha bikes for years (off-road, street, atv's) and just recently switched to a KTM (2009 200 XCW), honestly I can't see myself going back to the Yami (although I do still have an old IT200 for a winter beater). Superior OE components and build quality.

build quality is better, thier motors are really strong, but generally the handling and suspension is not as good as the jap machines, though i believe this is changing...i switched from ktm partly b/c it was a stroker, and personally i thought the internal components were weak, bike felt delicate, it broke a lot, cost me lots of dough, it feels like my rm is much stronger and durable....on the other hand they look great, plasics are quality..etc..

Ive had

07 yz450

08 crf 450

08 rmz 450

09kx 450

and now a 2010 ktm 450sxf.

Ktm's are built like no other machine.They come stock with all the stuff I buy aftermarket such as the best brakes made..Billit hub oversize spokes, fat bars, adjustable clamps for taller riders ,hydraulic clutch, electric start, heavy duty chain guides,easy access air filter and a super reliable motor.

The kx450 had a monster motor as did the crf450.Both were very hard pulling both great bikes.The rmz had decent bottom no top end u had to remap it to get some ponies in the right area.The yz was mellow very stable.

As for the ktm it turns better than all of them.. The kawi turned best of all the jap bikes for me with 20mm rg3 clamps.. All my jap 450's had RG3 suspension which were all awesome. Everyone talks bad on the ktms but its really just finding a good suspension guy that knows how to make them right. I know alot of guys that ride both Japanese and ktm bikes with stock suspension and love them both I think its all up to the individual .. Ktm motors are in between the kx 450 and yz 450 ..Its almost electic feeling very smooth and they pull forever..I like all the bikes can have fun on all of them. I personally like the ktms not only for all the great stock stuff you get but the bikes are easy to go fast on with there motors.. Turning has alot to do with fast laps and the ktm can turn better than all of them with the suspension set up right. Dont know if its the frame, offset,no linkage I dunno but they turn great. Everything on them is top notch. I have nothing bad to say about any of the other 450's they were all fun bikes and had zero issues with any of them.. Ive sold them all to people I know personally and they have had no issues either. I was just telling my buddy today they just picked up a used ktm 250sxf its his first ktm.. After you see all the stuff the bikes comes with stock, and put some time on them its hard to go back to Japanese bike.. They are high quality machines that are very reliable .. Ive had 6 ktms the 10' 450 is by far my favorite with the suspension working great on it. I wish they would stay with no linkage but seems ktm is giving in to the customer when before they did there own thing and it finally works perfect. All the brands have there good and bad thing is I cant find much bad on the ktm. Most people that diss them either have never owned one and put time on it or they had one that they could not get set up right. Having a good suspension guy is key for most people but as I said there are people loving them with stock suspension.. I know a few pros that race local on bone stock bikes not even bars on them.. "Ready to race"

I've become a KTM believer myself. I finally bought one, and it has so many nice features that you think all bikes should have. My race performance (harescrambles) has also improved dramatically.

• Like 1

I think what norcal_hoss said is on the money. The KTM's come "race ready" which is why they're so expensive in part. Best chains, brakes, etc. Even stock Motorex fluids. There is very little you need to upgrade on a KTM (Unless you're Mike Lafferty) that isn't to say that the jap bikes are of inferior build (my KDX has not given me a SINGLE problem) but the KTM's are the all out race machines. They put out impressive power too. My KDX would get raped by a 200XC or XCW, with 20 fewer CC's.

Basically, it's the little things. But little things add up, and so do their price.

I think what norcal_hoss said is on the money. The KTM's come "race ready" which is why they're so expensive in part. Best chains, brakes, etc. Even stock Motorex fluids. There is very little you need to upgrade on a KTM (Unless you're Mike Lafferty) that isn't to say that the jap bikes are of inferior build (my KDX has not given me a SINGLE problem) but the KTM's are the all out race machines. They put out impressive power too. My KDX would get raped by a 200XC or XCW, with 20 fewer CC's.

Basically, it's the little things. But little things add up, and so do their price.

Well the price is no longer an issue.. 2010 yz450 are going to sell between $8300-$9000 OTD I have lots of friends that own dealerships thats the price. My 2010 ktm450 was $8128 otd cheaper so far than a yz or crf (from what I been told they will sell for) Ktm is no longer more money you get more for your money tho imo.

Well the price is no longer an issue.. 2010 yz450 are going to sell between $8300-$9000 OTD I have lots of friends that own dealerships thats the price. My 2010 ktm450 was $8128 otd cheaper so far than a yz or crf (from what I been told they will sell for) Ktm is no longer more money you get more for your money tho imo.

WOW $8300-$9000:ride:

Kind of curious what dealership that is.

norcal is right. The brakes are amazing!!! Bigger rotors make all the difference. Not to mention all the other stuff he said. I have been accused of being "rich" because of my purchase but I compared what my dealer was going to sell me a YZ 450 for and I paid $200 more. For me it is a no brainer. I won't have another brand for me to ride. The bike makes me feel like a hero when I ride. For me it does everything excellent.

I agree with this. I bought my 200XCW to race Hare Scrambles for $7200 at a local dealer. Retail at the local Yami dealer on a YZ 250 is $8299, plus I'd have to revalve the suspension for off road and the OE equipment was not as good as the KTM. For comparison sakes the YZ 125 is $7399. These are all Canadian prices.

I think it has more to do with the fact that there are now 5 major players "in the game".

Making the switch from one brand to another is a very difficult and often costly decision to make. Especially when your dealing with a list of parts that you would like to carry over from your old bike. When you switch brands, most of your parts do not carry over, and not to mention all your gear no longer matches :bonk:

Very few people ever comment on their "current" bike as being poor. Its ALWAYS the best!! It does not matter which brand you are talking about, nobody is going to say "I just dropped 10K into this bike and hate it". That goes for any brand. KTM riders are usually "ex-Japanese" bike riders, so of course are going to hype up their new bike choice .... because it was a major change for them, a big financial decision, and somewhat of a risk given they were used to riding a different brand before. I am sure that would apply to ANY bike brand switch though. :bonk:

Having owned several Jap bikes (to many to count) and over the last 4 years a few KTM's as well. I think I can say with some qualifying experience that KTM does in fact build a higher quality machine than any of the Jap's. I'm currently on a 07 WR450 and it's setup is perfect for me with all the custom stuff I've done. However it's still not as good as my 09 KTM 450XCW out of the box and still totaly stock minus jetting. The KTM's are just better from every facet, currently trying to unload the WR as it's just not up to par so there is no point in keeping it.

KTMs are light, fast, and have good suspension.

You do, however, pay for the privilege.

Dave