XR400 forks into my XR250R

Just a quick question. What years fit? My XR250R is a 1998 and I found some 2000 XR400 forks. The only I notice from the pictures and parts manual is that the axle is different. Other than that everything else is good? Thanks in advance.

I believe you'll find that the XR400 forks are 43mm while your 250 forks are 41mm. Unless you aquire the entire 400 front forks and triple clamps, I don't think it will be as easy as simply sliding the 400 forks into your existing clamps. What are your plans for your 250 forks? I may be interested in them. Please PM me with your details. Thanks.

Well I was told it was a simple swap. I am looking for some updated forks and I weigh 220 so also something a little beefier. I am up in the air on selling the old forks or not. If I have to get new triple clamps they can be found. I am a little more concerned with the axle and such.

This question is along the same line........Will stock 2000 xr650r fork springs fit in 1998 xr400r forks? I'm trying to firm up the front on the 400.

i've just fitted 2001 400 forks to my 03 xr250r. not simple at all but worth the effort as the front feels way better now. heres a quick list of stuff you have to do if you have the forks AND yolks.

cut off your lock stops and weld them back on a little lower down the frame (line them up with the luggs on the 400 yolk first!)

get a 400 spindle and speedo drive

change the bearings in the front wheel for 400 ones

drop the oil in the forks and flush them through with parts cleaner-then replace with 5w fork oil- i read somewhere (here i think) that the 400 takes 580cc per leg

these forks are far better than the stock 250 ones and are made by showa.

they are also adjustable two way

If you suffer like me with pins and needles in your fingers when you've been out for a while, try filling the void down the handlebars with building silicon, then before it goes off ram some big threaded bar up each end as far in as possible. let it go off and cut off the surplus. acts as a steering damper too, for about fifty pence!

my mates laughed at it but i'm sure it worked

Andy

Just a quick question. What years fit? My XR250R is a 1998 and I found some 2000 XR400 forks. The only I notice from the pictures and parts manual is that the axle is different. Other than that everything else is good? Thanks in advance.

You need the clamps and the front wheel with odo drive gear or spacer.

A guy I know swapped XR forks onto his 03 250, and he had issues with the hub being centered properly. Here is what he wrote to me in an email:

the hubs are definitely different, the center bearing spacer is 4-5mm longer than the 250 also the 400 bearings are narrower. I talked to a guy on thumper talk who said it was a matter of changing bearings. Maybe he got it to work but I am much happier having the right parts.

After I sent him a front hub he lace it up and things went together perfectly for him. He also likes the XR400 forks much better on his bike.

Well I just picked up the forks for 80.00 bucks and they are in really good shape. I will do some investigating while my bike is down for a rebuild. I will post some pics and what I did to get it done.

ah, sorry-i assumed the wheels were the same,only the bearings were different when the 250 spindle was too small. i used an old 400 wheel ihad in the shed, and planned to do the bearing change on the straighter 250 wheel later.

wont bother now then!!