Sign in to follow this  

What should I buy

I am 6'2 195 pounds. I can ride a dirt bike, but it has been about 15 years since I have owned one. I am interested racing hare scrambles and enduro starting in the spring of 2010. I am located in new england. I was thinking a wr450/crf450x or possibly a straight up motocross bike. Would an xr 400 or 650 be a good idea?

thanks,

Greg

if your racing i will suggest a wr/crf450x.. the yzf/crf450r's are a baddass bike as well.. the motocross bikes are very strong, lighter weight but will require a susp. job to meet the demands of offroad, i know a few guys who race offroad and wished they bought a motocross bike instead.. i suggest riding them all and deciding from there.. the xr's and such are bullet proof, no radiators to worry about, but the handling and power isnt up to par with the others..

what about a 250 2t?

all those choices are fine for the trails, i am about the same size as you and i love my 250 smoker in the trails, though it can be very surprising power at times, sometimes its mellow, sometimes it hits like a mf, i think it makes it more fun...if you get an xr, it will have lots of low end torque, but not much mid or top end, hammer down power like the two-strokes do.. its nice on the trails except for the weight, its kind of tall too, but i would worry about that at your height, as for the wr/crf/x, just remember that they are basicly 4-stroke racing engines(though toned down a bit) which means maintenance, less than a crf/r, but more than the xr.

heres what you are looking at for maint. this is average trail riding not frequent racing

XR: change oil/ filter every 2-4 rides, clean aiir filter..1-2 rides

250 two-stroke: trans oil every 2 rides, air filter every 1 or 2, top end every 1 year(piston kit, gaskets, plug, etc.) top/bottom end every 2 year

450 trail bike: motor oil and trans oil every 2-4 rides, air filter every 1 or 2,top end every year or so, along with new valves, retainers, seats cut, new cam chain every 2

wow, thanks for the info so far. So do you guys think a 250 2 stroke would be a good trail bike? Do you think this would be a more versitile bike as far as racing and trail riding with friends?

If your intent is to race harescrambles I would suggest a KTM300. Light weight, powerful but luggable like a 4stroke.

250 2stroke's with electric start...light, powerful with , flickable, look at the KTM's. Very good bikes and there are alot of them in woods racing. They are race ready right from the dealer. And the electric start is priceless. They are expensive but if you do your homework and search for it you can find a great deal on one. They are race ready from the dealer too so all you'll need is handguards and skidplate and you're good to go.

If you want 4stroke look at the 250's. KTM's are great. Yamaha wr250 has a bulletproof motor. It needs a few adjustments to uncork the power but it is very easy and well documented in the WR250 forum. The Honda 250X is a nice bike but the valves are an issue.

The 450's are nice with all the power and torque but the weight is noticable and you will feel it after riding compared to a 250 or 2stroke.

Go to a few Harescrambles and see what guys are riding. Make sure to hit different locations and talk to guys and pick their brains a little after the race.

Edited by ohioryder

all those choices are fine for the trails, i am about the same size as you and i love my 250 smoker in the trails, though it can be very surprising power at times, sometimes its mellow, sometimes it hits like a mf, i think it makes it more fun...if you get an xr, it will have lots of low end torque, but not much mid or top end, hammer down power like the two-strokes do.. its nice on the trails except for the weight, its kind of tall too, but i would worry about that at your height, as for the wr/crf/x, just remember that they are basicly 4-stroke racing engines(though toned down a bit) which means maintenance, less than a crf/r, but more than the xr.

heres what you are looking at for maint. this is average trail riding not frequent racing

XR: change oil/ filter every 2-4 rides, clean aiir filter..1-2 rides

250 two-stroke: trans oil every 2 rides, air filter every 1 or 2, top end every 1 year(piston kit, gaskets, plug, etc.) top/bottom end every 2 year

450 trail bike: motor oil and trans oil every 2-4 rides, air filter every 1 or 2,top end every year or so, along with new valves, retainers, seats cut, new cam chain every 2

I think you are a little misleading him on the 4stroke. The top end will by no means need new valves, ect every year or so. He would get many years out of it if properly maintained. The valves do need checked and on some brands adjusted occationaly but they wont need replaced. Honda, maybe...but that is why I suggested the WR250. Those motors are bulletproof and the valves rarely need adjusting.

valves every 2 years, not 1.. and you have to keep in mind that they are high performance race motors, not last forever trail beasts like the xr's were. they have large valves and aggressive cam profiles that put strain on the head..

999th post :bonk:

Durability issues are very bike and somewhat user maintenance specific. Honda's not very durable and require many adjustments. Yamaha very durable and very little adjustments. Ktm's very durable but much adjustments.

Do not be affraid of a 4stroke over a 2stroke simply on a maintenance standpoint. They both require the same amount to keep them in optimum condition, and over the course of time the same $$$.

Check out the races. Read the model specific forums. Look for the demo rides at the tracks and wood races and then make an educated decision.

Durability issues are very bike and somewhat user maintenance specific. Honda's not very durable and require many adjustments. Yamaha very durable and very little adjustments. Ktm's very durable but much adjustments.

Do not be affraid of a 4stroke over a 2stroke simply on a maintenance standpoint. They both require the same amount to keep them in optimum condition, and over the course of time the same $$$.

Check out the races. Read the model specific forums. Look for the demo rides at the tracks and wood races and then make an educated decision.

yea you know how those honda xr's arent very durable at all:bonk: and every yamaha is bulletproof... you just cant compare racing engines in terms of maint cost..2strokes are a lot cheaper.. for example, i have heard many stories od crf250 intake valves going far out of spec at only 30 or so hours, the amount of time after a reccomended top end! and a complete valve job costs upwards of 600 bucks,4 strokes are great bikes but the manufactureres have squeezed so much power out of such a small displacment motor that durability has been sacrificed...with aggresive cam profles, large ti valves, harder springs, and aluminum in stead of hard steel..makes it much weaker

the price of the top end job is even further incresed by pistons that are expensive as hell...upwards of 200 bucks, not to mention that they are getting even more pricey to start out with compared to say a new yz125

yea you know how those honda xr's arent very durable at all:bonk: and every yamaha is bulletproof... you just cant compare racing engines in terms of maint cost..2strokes are a lot cheaper.. for example, i have heard many stories od crf250 intake valves going far out of spec at only 30 or so hours, the amount of time after a reccomended top end! and a complete valve job costs upwards of 600 bucks,4 strokes are great bikes but the manufactureres have squeezed so much power out of such a small displacment motor that durability has been sacrificed...with aggresive cam profles, large ti valves, harder springs, and aluminum in stead of hard steel..makes it much weaker

the price of the top end job is even further incresed by pistons that are expensive as hell...upwards of 200 bucks, not to mention that they are getting even more pricey to start out with compared to say a new yz125

the older hondas had airbox issues where the mating seam leaked.. the crf's can built with oem parts with seats cuts for around 450 bucks.. 600 is around average for yzf..

as for pistons 160-200 for most aftermarket H.C. pistons and you can buy oem for 80-100 bucks if you shop around..

but i agree these are race motors, dont expect XR life out these bikes.. especially with proper routine maintenance