Ladies, need some advice!

Last Month, I bought a new '09 Suzuki RMZ 450 after riding a two stroke for the past 30 plus years, yes, the very same bike.

Now that I have the new four stroke, I have taken it out most weekends to get it broke in and also get use to the four stroke power band.

My problem: My girlfriend has decided that reading a book in the truck while I play on my new toy is no fun for her. I have brought out the four wheeler and let her putt around while I hit the trails, but now she seems to think that a dirt bike is next for her so she can ride with me.

I don't mean to sound insensitive or mean, but I don't think I will have the patience to slowly putt around for a year with her trying to pick up the skills and training to become a regular dirt bike rider. I have 42 years experience and she has about two hours worth. Besides, the new RMZ will tend to overheat if I just slop along in 1st and 2nd gear watching what she does and offering advice.

I guess my first question is what do you suggest in the way of a starter bike for her? and , secondly, would I be too out of place to just tell her that I need a few weekends a month to just go ride and enjoy my new found toy with other experienced riders?

We are both past 48 and she is about 5'8" and slightly top heavy at about 178 lbs. (she wouldn't tell me exactly).

On one hand, I like that she wants to spend the time doing what I like, but should I sell the RMZ and get a milder machine like a DRZ and then we just ride slow together as we head towards them "Golden Years"?

I have other hobbies that she is content to allow me alone time with, but I guess the amount of "new Bike time" is really taking my time away from her, so I should feel honored that she wants to enjoy more bonding time.

Do I have a single leg to stand on here or should I check my attitude at the garage and change my ways? Be gentle, as I DO spoil her when I get off the two wheels.

In the three different locations that I have riden so far, I have never seen any other female riders out there that I might (don't get mad) pawn her off on and let them teach her pro's and con's of the dirt.

Just wanting some "other side" feedback before I speak my piece and maybe end up in the doghouse and the couch. Thanks, Old Sarge.

yes, she needs to let you go enjoy that new piece! if she doesn't understand, she has no buisness getting into the sport. but you need to give her a shot at dirtbikes too. it might not be for her, or you might make yourself a live-in riding partner. never know until you give her a chance to learn.

i don't like the idea of 'pawning her off' to another rider. you've been riding way too long not to share your experience and teach her the basics. she'll either get it or she won't, but if she's been watching you and paying attention, it shouldn't take long.

has she ever ridden a dirt bike before? i'm the same height, age, 175ish & top heavy too.. xr200 was ideal for me when i started taking riding seriously- I outgrew the power in about 3 months.. graduated to the xr600, rode it for a year- then settled in with a new xr250. sure, the smaller bikes are easier to handle for a beginner- but no fun for me.. being 30-40 lbs heavier than the average female my height, i need more hp/torque! lol

having someone riding a big bike right next to you yelling in your ear while you're learning is a big distraction- take a few minutes/hours-where you stand in a spot watching her ride around the area, trying her skills-riding back to you for advice, then trying it again. after all, she's been sitting there watching you for a long time, right?

hope this helps.

Since I only started riding 6 or 7 years ago, I can relate to all of it. But thanks to my wonderful husband, we've gotten all that stuff ironed out.

Can you borrow something smaller for her to try at first and see if she gets into it? That way, you won't spend a huge amount of money if she decides it's not for her.

With whatever kind of bike you decide on, I would make sure she could touch the ground comfortably. There's no substitute for confidence. I have a lot of friends of both sexes that tried to ride ancient heavy bikes that were entirely too tall for them, they got hurt and now won't touch them, no matter what kind of bikes there are now.

Also, I would always start someone on a four-stroke vs. a two-stroke so that the powerband doesn't scare them to death and they quit. But that's just me. She's fairly tall - maybe something like a TTR 230? I personally love the TTRs, they take a LOT of abuse and are pretty indestructible.

Are there any dirt bike riding instructors in your area? Maybe she can take lessons and learn the basics that way.

As far as time riding, I know a lot of people that divided up their ride time - Saturdays were for riding with the wife, Sundays were for riding with friends. You could do something like that. And sooner or later she will have the skills so everyone can go together. :bonk:

I think that when someone has ridden for a long time, they tend to forget what it was like in the beginning and how frustrating it was. It's doubly frustrating when the person teaching is way bigger and stronger than you. Just try to be patient.

I have an idea of what it's like to be the faster one now from teaching other people and it's hard sometimes to just putt around. But it'll be worth it in the long run.

Well, what a shock! I sort of expected about six quick replys, all telling me to come off my high horse and just babysitt the lady. She doesn't have any dirtbike experience, only a mini-bike way back in the late '70s. I say minibike, but hard bound scooter with a 5hp lawnmower engine and automatic clutch.

She doesn't seem to operate the Yamaha warrior clutch very well as she either lets it out all at once or then doesn't apply any throttle. I know they say it's not true, but I say the blond has a tiny bit to do with it. It doesn't seem that operating both hands and then both feet can be matered by her. I would sure want her comfortable with shifting and stopping before I even think about the dirtbike investment.

Against my better judgement, I have been looking around and all that seems to be for sale are used YZs and way older Hondas '72-89. Being a hard natured Harley rider, I have always suscomed to two schools of thought: 1- Riding a Honda is like kissing your sister on the lips, - it feels good until someone see you doing it!

and 2- I would never ride a Yellow motorcycle.

Looks like now I will have to conceed on both of my thoughts.

I did watch a video clip of a female riding around the track and the biked looked waaaayyy too small for her but there is a lot to be said for touching the ground when you want to stop. You can't really lower a decent dirt bike to make flat footing standard, then raise it back up in about six months achieve standard height. 3-5 inches would be about the limit and I would have to give up a gentle ride on the bike just to allow both feet on the ground.

She rides in my four wheel drive F-250 HD Diesel and always complains about the stiff ride and you can just look over and see that the truck suspension is playing havioc with her upper body. Not trying to make light of the female form, but I am sure that off-road riding takes it's toll if you're not straped down pretty firm.

I tend to think that if I took up bungy jumping, she would want the same time in order to be together, but I never have figured women out and don't plan any intense course of study in my future.

I hate to buy a used bike that needs constant work just to get her out on the thing, but on the other hand, I would sure hate to fork out more bucks for a newer bike and then find out when the Texas heat comes back, that she can't stand the sweat, dust, and longer rides than just 15 minutes. I paid for scuba lessons and she didn't like the water getting in her eyes when you have to unmask under water, so she is very content now to stay on shore or in the boat to just haul up what I find in the water below. Diving can be a rather short adventure depending on how deep you go and how many spare tanks you tank along. Maybe knowing that I'll surface within 45 minutes gives her satisfaction, whereas, when I take off on the RMZ with all my spare fuel in the pack, I can be gone all afternoon.

Winter is coming, even though we don't get much here in the Lone Star State and she hates to be cold, so that will pretty much dampen her spirits until the Springs rolls around I hope. Problem is, we don't get winter until January and then by mid Feb. , it is gone. There are some good Thumpette stories on here that I wouldn't mind her reading, but once she discovered my complaining on this site, I could be in worse hot water than I am now. Appreciate your time in replying and maybe in the coming weeks as I can run the new bike harder and faster after break-in, she will see that dirt slinging and leaving the ground with both wheels is not her idea of fun. I would let her try out my older 2 stroke, but that will be tuff to learn on like you say and it's getting to be a classic antique that I want to restore and sure don't want any crashes on the orange monster. I'll check for further posts for awhile and see what comes down the line. Of all the needlepoint and soap operas around, why did I have to find the Linda Evans of Motocross? Built-in padding when she does fall off the bike, so I guess I should be happy there. Old Sarge

My first bike was an old xr200 also, pretty easy for you to set up for her, cheap to buy, easy to ride. I was 44yo at the time, but had been riding street for 20 years.

Being stacked has its problems - we did have a discussion a while back on jogbras and chest protectors, you can probably do a search and get more info. But she needs to anchor and protect her puppies if she's going to ride comfortably.

Some of the best times my hubby and I spend together are out on rides, and I know he had a difficult time while I was learning, but it's great now. Teach her the basics, be patient, DON"T YELL AT HER (haha), find some classes she can take. And if you find other folks to ride with, she'll probably be happy to go off with the girls while the boys go out and try to kill each other.

They say, "you never forget your first time" and I am sure banking on that! We attacked the dunes and river bottoms up by Waurkia and the state line and I swear that I told her at least six times about using the back brake when going up a hill. Did it sink in? Nnnnooooo, halfway up the hill (about five foot), she slowed down then grabbed in the clutch, mashed on the back brake and end over end she went. After all the spitting, coughing, and a few choice words, I could have sworn that I heard her say " I won't be trying that again ever"

Now this was all on the four wheeler, so maybe with a dirt bike, she might have lucked out and just fell over. Anyway, that ended the riding lessons for a saturday and we made very little progress with clutch and shifting. Maybe a few bruises come morning will re-enforce the need to sit and read while watching the other folks take all the spills.

I am waiting with fainted breath to ask if we should return back on Sunday and try it all again. Anybody taking bets?? Trying times for sure. Old Sarge

My first bike was a yz80 last year and now i have a yz125 but i am smaller than your wife. 5'1" and about 105 lbs.

That being said, my bf raced hairscrambles and is way better than me. We do everything together and it is very frustrating when someone is really good and has to slow down and teach someone else. I started in the woods but then went to the track and found other people to ride with. I have taken a few classes at the track with local pros and I can honestly say that helped so much. Now we both ride together at the track and share the awesome sport of motocross. Don't feel bad about not teaching her because it is frustrating in the beginning...just be supportive. Have fun riding!

Enroll her in an MSF course. She'll learn the basics on the street, on THEIR bikes, and will have a better idea of what its all about, and if she wants to continue...plus, it'll be way more relaxing for both of you, trust me!!

I went thru the same thing.... best thing to do it try and find a bike for her to borrow and she how she will like it.... Ended up my wife hated riding and would just rather let me spend time with the boys.... I also try to make time for her and encourage her in her hobbies also (photography) so I can do my thing when I want.

Enroll her in an MSF course. She'll learn the basics on the street, on THEIR bikes, and will have a better idea of what its all about, and if she wants to continue...plus, it'll be way more relaxing for both of you, trust me!!

DING ! DING!:bonk:

Also works for skiing,swimming, Driving a car ,etc.etc,

just had to say yer making me laugh! I'm thinking an xr200 would be great for her. On the other hand if she can't pick it up something like a ttr125 is easy to learn on and not intimidating at all. Of course buy used.

Your lady gets points for wanting to ride with you, do you know how many women DON"T have any sort of interest in even being near a bike? Just show her the basics, set aside your "ive been riding for a gazillion years I'm so hot" tude for awhile(it puts pressure on the woman to perform for your pleasure). It's also perfectly fine for you to take your guy rides to get the farts out too--dont' ever feel guilty about that.

Hopefully she'll LOVE it. I started out just wanting to toodle along behind my kids when they were little, now I got my own big "real" bike and I'M the rabid rider of the fam.

BTW my grandparents spent their golden years putting around the AZ desert in the 70's, heh, so it's not unheard of!

That is awesome that she wants to share your interests and try.

You are both gonna have to be patient with each other. Its hard sometimes having an SO teach you something. Patience is not always there. You're gonna have to realize that you're gonna have to take her out on those "slow training" rides and she's gonna have to realize that your gonna want to go out without her on the "fast boys" rides. Its a 2 way street.

I finally picked up enough speed that my hubby enjoys riding with me alot on trails(not that he didn't before but its way more enjoyable now for him). I do stupid funny stuff on my bike. My crashes are always good for a laugh. BUT I always encourage him to go without me on those "fast boys" rides. He appreciates it and will always ask me if I want to go because of it.

The most important thing is you both have fun!!!

My advice is be patient and compromise. My husband had lots of riding experience when I started to ride last year. He took me out and taught me the basics, then I went to MSF dirt bike school. I highly recommend having her take a class. It really helped without putting a strain our relationship (I'm sure you know what I mean). When we ride we split our time between trails I can do ( I ride with my 8 year old daughter) and the brutal stuff my husband and 10 year old son like to do. He also gets his weekends to ride without the wife and kids. When I was first learning I never thought I would make it more than a few miles, but my daughter and I just did our first poker run and we rode 24 miles. Good Luck!

My advice is be patient and compromise. My husband had lots of riding experience when I started to ride last year. He took me out and taught me the basics, then I went to MSF dirt bike school. I highly recommend having her take a class. It really helped without putting a strain our relationship (I'm sure you know what I mean). When we ride we split our time between trails I can do ( I ride with my 8 year old daughter) and the brutal stuff my husband and 10 year old son like to do. He also gets his weekends to ride without the wife and kids. When I was first learning I never thought I would make it more than a few miles, but my daughter and I just did our first poker run and we rode 24 miles. Good Luck!

Well, I wanted her to master the clutch and shifting process last weekend, so I had her take the four-wheeler back out and get past second gear. She had a tip over from using only the rear brake on a very small hill, but it was enough to sour her dirt experience. She was so brusied come Monday morning, that she called long distance just to cuss me out. Something about girls not wanting to display those black & blue marks where they can be seen in public. I think the ride ona four-wheeler is much softer than what a dirt bike can dish out and her upper body (chest) was wore out just from under an hour on mostly semi-flat ground. I don't know if they make sport bras in 48DD, but she will need something if any future rides are in our future. I think the MAN sport is about to enter her mind and thought process as she did ask about just taking pictures of me during the next outing.

I would feel far better if I was training someone maybe 38-45, but 50 plus is going to be a hard process for her to tackle without any sports or physical background to draw from. Not to mention, she can't stand to be away from her cell phone for more than a hair brushing moment.

I'll bit my tongue for another month and see what develops, but with cooler weather coming on, my crystal ball says that a good book inside the travel trailer will better suit her weekend needs while I go play. I have undertaken some pretty rough chores over the past 50 years, but I think this has been about the most hair pulling event yet, and I don't have much left to spare. Another few weeks and I'll be forming my "Dear Abby" letter. The more bouncing she does, the more I have to suffer, now that ain't fair!!! Old Sarge.

Yay! another chance to show off my grandma and her little dirt bike in AZ. She learned to ride(albeit not very "technical" stuff :smirk:) in her late 50's back around 1970 when barely any women (let alone one over 50) learned to ride. She had DD's too. snort. they didn't even have sports bras back then. Get her off the quad and borrow a pw80 so she can get the clutch down. Then get her a ttr125 or a xr100, something cheap and indesctructible. BTW I see a lot of grandmas on quads out in the dez here in Oregon. Maybe you need to move(heh).

grandmasnake.jpg

W... I think the ride ona four-wheeler is much softer than what a dirt bike can dish out and her upper body (chest) was wore out just from under an hour on mostly semi-flat ground. I don't know if they make sport bras in 48DD, but she will need something if any future rides are in our future. I think the MAN sport is about to enter her mind and thought process as she did ask about just taking pictures of me during the next outing.....

Yes, actually they DO!

http://www.laurensilva.com/Glamorise_Front_Closure_Sports_Bra_p/glam-1206.htm

http://www.laurensilva.com/Glamorise_Superior_Support_Sports_Bra_p/glam-1006.htm

http://www.laurensilva.com/Goddess_Sports_Bra_p/godd-5056.htm

Did the four wheeler land on her??? Why is she all bruised up?

Maybe she needs to learn to drop the offending machine and walk away??? Instead of riding out a fall in a death grip???

Second, if it is your goal for her to learn to use the clutch, brake, etc. it would probably be better for her to be doing that in a completely FLAT area so she can focus only on those things and not the surrounding terrain. When she gets that down then start adding small hills and ditches.

Yes, actually they DO!

http://www.laurensilva.com/Glamorise_Front_Closure_Sports_Bra_p/glam-1206.htm

http://www.laurensilva.com/Glamorise_Superior_Support_Sports_Bra_p/glam-1006.htm

http://www.laurensilva.com/Goddess_Sports_Bra_p/godd-5056.htm

Did the four wheeler land on her??? Why is she all bruised up?

Maybe she needs to learn to drop the offending machine and walk away??? Instead of riding out a fall in a death grip???

Second, if it is your goal for her to learn to use the clutch, brake, etc. it would probably be better for her to be doing that in a completely FLAT area so she can focus only on those things and not the surrounding terrain. When she gets that down then start adding small hills and ditches.

Yes the Warrior did land on her, but not full force. If you saw the tiny incline that she tried to climb, you would laugh. It was only steep enough so that if you pulled in the clutch, you would roll back down at a very slow pace. No higher than a board with a milk crate underneath it.

She waited until full rolling speed backwards to apply the rear brake only, and then the slow motion back flip took place. If she had leaned forward, the whole process would have stopped, but in the process of rolling backwards, she looked towards the rear and that just placed more weight on the wrong side of center. She wasn't actually hurt in the roll over, just that the sand, dirt, and some grass was allowed to enter her shirt and face.

After the fact, she tells me that wearing work boots makes it hard for her to shift with, so I adjusted the shifter for more space with the big toe boots. She thinks shifting will be far better with her sneakers, but that ain't going to happen on my watch.

Those so-called Motorcross boots are extremely over rated and do hinder foot movement about 42% even with good, broken in boots. I do however highly reccomend them for starters and kids as they are somewhat decent to prevent foot and lower leg injuries. I, myself can do far better in Special forces boots with some soles that will leave tread marks on most Hondas and soft metal!

She hasn't decided if "dirt Riding" is going to be her thing or not yet, so we stayed home this weekend to help rot out the teeth of all the neighborhood kiddos. Couple of kids got as far as the door step, then I fired up the RMZ in the garage. Guess that was worse that hearing a chain saw in a graveyard as I lost sight of them about 1/4 mile down the road. Only good thing was that they dropped all their candy, so I had more to hand out that night.

Not having any luck finding any used bikes under the 350cc range unless they are pre-1980 and haven't been started in 15 years. I really think the hot crablegs and seafood buffet last weekend took her mind off anything with wheels and and an engine. Trying to be patient. Santa, please bring me a used 175cc that still has some power left in it. Please include crash bars, training wheels, and a mirror that can be flipped open to check hair and make-up. If not, then maybe a slightly used 42 year old blonde with some athletic ability and more desire to ride the harley back seat on the hard surface. Looks are important, but can be overlooked if she comes with a fishing boat and her own tree stand! Yes, I have been a very good boy all year long, except for them Oboma jokes that I passed along!

Old Sarge.

Yes the Warrior did land on her, but not full force. If you saw the tiny incline that she tried to climb, you would laugh. It was only steep enough so that if you pulled in the clutch, you would roll back down at a very slow pace. No higher than a board with a milk crate underneath it.

Doesnt matter...a small bike would be easier to ride on than a quad, especially if she has no dirt experience at all. Plus I think that bikes are safer than quads.

Dont be so hard on her, it sounds like you are giving up just as easy as she is. Hang in there it can only get better riding is a great sport!

I would start her off on an XR100 or maybe a 2 stroke 85. I would also put brand new aggressive knobbies on it to help keep her off the ground.

Also, could we see some pics of these top heavy women?

I would start her off on an XR100 or maybe a 2 stroke 85. I would also put brand new aggressive knobbies on it to help keep her off the ground.

Also, could we see some pics of these top heavy women?

I don't think you could handle what a "REAL" woman looks like. 50 does look nifty when your toned and very experienced! Nuff said! Old Sarge