what is stock postion of forks/ dr650

where is the stock position of the forks on a dr650? previous owner has them sticking up about an inch above the triple tree for faster turn in.

The top of my clamps are dead even with the top of my tubes. Then the top cap of the tubes sticks up like 1/16th past the clamps.

Thanks, I figured thats where they should be, but I would asked anyway.

That sounds like the "quick and dirty" lowering cheat -- the Suzuki dealer pulled that on me.

Check to see if the rear is lowered (as per factory standard). Rear is easy to lower, but you have to disassemble the fork to alter the front. My (former) dealer just lowered the fork in the clamps so the bike would be level. If the back IS lowered and you correct the forks, you throw the bike "back." I mention this in case you are OK with the stock (higher) ride hight: fix the forks and re-do the rear to match.

If you're into heavy off-road, the forks like you (and I) have could cause the tire to hit the fender (my winter project is to re-do my forks myself).

That sounds like the "quick and dirty" lowering cheat

nah, the bike was used for track days. it has been motarded out. lowering the front helps with quicker turn in.

I doubt this bike will see much dirt if any. I have thought about buying a drz400 for the dirt though. trail riding is all new to me, unless its a 4 wheeler. but I may branch out soon :bonk:

That sounds like the "quick and dirty" lowering cheat -- the Suzuki dealer pulled that on me.

Check to see if the rear is lowered (as per factory standard). Rear is easy to lower, but you have to disassemble the fork to alter the front. My (former) dealer just lowered the fork in the clamps so the bike would be level. If the back IS lowered and you correct the forks, you throw the bike "back." I mention this in case you are OK with the stock (higher) ride hight: fix the forks and re-do the rear to match.

If you're into heavy off-road, the forks like you (and I) have could cause the tire to hit the fender (my winter project is to re-do my forks myself).

If you have lowered the rear per factory specs it's not too much easier, or harder depending how you look at it, than the forks since you need to remove the shock and flip the spring collar to limit travel. :bonk: