CFC Case Savers

So I just got my case savers and decided to go out and find some adhesive to stick it on with...

I FOUND NOTHING!! I went to 2 auto places and 2 hardware stores and all they had were sealants and liquid nail adhesive and lots of gasket sealant. Nothing like a high temp silicon adhesive...

*** do I use?

I used the Ultra black RTV....because that is what I use when I assemble an engine...and what I had on hand.

The stuff will work just fine....in fact...I knew a guy that used some on a pan gasket on a 302 ford engine. Had to tear down to rebuild after a race. We were picking up the entire short block by the pan...had a heck of a time getting it to break loose.

I used the Permatex "blue" colored silicone. Whatever that was, since it's the only one I had laying around. Worked well, and the case savers are still on. :bonk:

Has anyone removed the case savers after being on there for quite sometime?

Been contemplating on replacing mine with another. :bonk:

Permatex clear, I believe the tube says adhesive/sealant or some nonsense. I have 3 tubes in various colors. I can photograph one if yuo like.

Be sure to tape them on until it sets and wipe off any excess BEFORE it sets. I ruined my timing plug by gluing in in there.

Photograph would be sweet!

I work in the aircraft industry so I see a lot of these high temp adhesives. The one that comes to mind is RTV 106. It's made by General Electric, the same GE that manufacture gas turbine engines. Probably costs a shitload and is an ugly orange colour but it's the shit for high temp applications. Google it and check it out.

after trying a few different sealants and having them fall off after a few rides. i used jb weld, been on for 3+ years. watched my drz fall from about 3ft onto a pointed rock, dented but did not fall off. inspected inside of case cover during an oil change, small depression was all i found. jb weld is cheap and easy to find also!! just don't weld your timing bolt in place!!!

after trying a few different sealants and having them fall off after a few rides. i used jb weld, been on for 3+ years. watched my drz fall from about 3ft onto a pointed rock, dented but did not fall off. inspected inside of case cover during an oil change, small depression was all i found. jb weld is cheap and easy to find also!! just don't weld your timing bolt in place!!!

The prep is the key, De-grease with a solvent or brake cleaner or risk losing parts on the trail.

My WR426 CFC armor has been on for over 5 years and has taken a beating.

:bonk:

If you want a picture of it done well it won't show much, and if you see a picture of it done wrong why would that help you? Put RTV on the protector, stick the protector on the bike, PUSH HARD, and make sure to wipe anything that doesn't look nice off the bike before it hardens. Done.

I sprayed , wiped off and sprayed again with brakleen , http://garrettindustrialsupply.com/store/images/crc-05089.jpg

both cases and the case savers , even though the case savers are brand new they have a dirty grease like film on them . Some brakleen and a white towel will show this .

The tt case savers had instructions , cover the inside of the case saver with a even 1/8" of rtv , best to use a latex glove and your finger to spread it and even it out..Press the case saver on the motor , I gave mine a little twist back and forth then tape it in place and let it sit for twenty four hours ..

I would think the rtv once dried in its rubbery form would help absorb an impact.

Most important steps , properly clean , evenly cover the surface , secure it in place , let dry 24 hours.

I used the ultra black rtv , tried to pry one off just to test it out and it didnt budge , worked great.