fire damaged yzf250 help!

ok, so i searched and couldn't find any answer to this...

if a bike was in a building that caught fire can it be rebuilt? like will i run into any mechanical problems? there are no cracks in the engine and the frame seems sturdy. would the suspension still be ok? the radiators?

i want to rebuild the bike into a street legal bike and i bought the engine, frame and suspension like this but wondered if i should even bother?

how badly burned ?

pics?

It really depends on how hot the fire got and how long it was burning, and to a lesser extent what sort of bike (frame materials, etc) it is.

it's a yz250f, the subframe is junk but the frame seems alright. would the engine be bothered? and it didnt seem too burnt, the tire wasn't melted and the fork guards were only halfway burnt. ill upload some pics in a lil

Seals and maybe gaskets are probobly shot. Are you going to go through the whole engine?

i was probably going too, might as well, i have time. would you recommend it?

Damn. Looks like you will need to rebuild anything that has a seal in it. Not sure on the frame. It really depends on how hot the fire was and how long the bike was exposed to the high tems.

I have a 03 frame and swing arm if you are looking for parts.

i dont need the frame, and yeah, ill probably have to mess with the seals.

would the 03 swingarm work? i never looked into yamahas, i just found this cheap and jumped on the opportunity

Dam Bro! :bonk: That thing is crispy! You'll definately need to go through the whole engine and reseal everything. One thing I know about something burned like that, you never get the smell out.

dude seriously?? junk it, the frame is more than likely heat treated either as an assembly after its welded up, or at least the forged parts are cold worked, and fire will change the strength properties of the metal..

dude seriously?? junk it, the frame is more than likely heat treated either as an assembly after its welded up, or at least the forged parts are cold worked, and fire will change the strength properties of the metal..

I agree. The engine might be OK with some work but no way would I trust the frame.

haha i dont really notice a smell? and i was gonna tale it somewhere to get looked at, or do you really think its that bad?

Depending on the alloy used for the frame it may be OK. It was reported on another thread that the some of the bike manufacturers use 7020 aluminum which age hardens naturally, it doesn't require heat treating. The result is the aluminum recovers hardness naturally after exposure to heat such as welding, or a fire.

Insured? Sure hope so.

Looks like a loss to me.

i would waste my time on it if I were you.. its a total rebuild and i wouldnt trust the frame especially after that..

That thing is toasted. I'd say open up the motor and part out whats not burnt.

I would guess wiring and ignition are toast.. I think it would cost way to much to get it fixed.

Looks really fried! might end up with metal fatigue. IMO I'd junk it.