Downhill 2 strokes

it scares the shit out of me...hahaha, but i am a new rider and the lack of engine brakes is kinds scary when going down steep hills, i try to use both back and front but its hard to find the "sweet spots" to not lock them up. So most of the time i either just use little to no brake and try to stay on hauling ass, but more often i am jerking back and forth from applying to much brake.

When i tried on the 4 stroke, it was so easy and comfortable, but the 2 stroke is just plain scary.

is it better to stand up or just lean your weight back?and should i go fast or go slow i dont have a lot of traction (loose sand).

I'll do the best I can with this one, but since I do not own a 2t those owners can feel free to correct me at will.

I've done a lot of mountain biking as well so I'll use that knowledge base.

Basically a few things to try and do:

1. Momentum is your friend. You can keep more speed then you think and be okay. 12" of suspension travel is also your friend. You'd be surprised how much impact a fork can take.

2. Keep your weight back. You want to keep the front end light enough so that when it hits a rock it absorbs it and does not deflect to the side and/or stop cold at the rock. That said, keep your weight enough forward where there is some steering traction on the tire.

3. The front brake is another one of your friends. You have much more control with your front brake. If you lock your rear you slide, use it sparingly. Your foot does not have as good of a feel as your right hand. Try to use as much of the front as possible as it does approximately 80% of your braking.

4. Practice. You'll get it! :bonk:

If anyone else has other great suggestions please feel free to build on this.

I went from a 4T to a 2T, and you need to get used to it. Stand up, all your weight on the pegs, keep your ass over the rear fender, and use your front brake and just lightly touch the rear. You will get it, but DO NOT lock up the front tire or you'll be off in the trees for sure! I usually pull the clutch in if it's a long hill to prevent oil starvation, or give it a shot of gas every 10 secs or so.

You'll get it, just get some seat time. 2T's make you a better rider by forcing you to control the bike more.

like they said. Thats how I do downhills too.

Butt far back, arms extended but not locked, I use front and rear brake.

I use the front brake harder and longer on downhills than any other situation. Most of your weight is on the front tire so more braking is possible. If you lock up the front or rear, you need to modulate the brake to get that wheel spinning again.

And I pull in the clutch all the way down.

I alternate between a 4 and 2 stroke, basically you have to make up for the engine braking with carefully applied rear brake, it isn't easy. With the 2 stroke I generally have the clutch in so I don't stall it with the brake, on the 4 just pick a suitable gear. I'm assuming we're talking killer steep root infested rutted rocky hills.

• Like 1

Here's what I do for really long and steep sandy downhills:

Most of the time I lock the rear brake - sometimes the hill is soo steep that using the front brake anything more then sparingly would be painful! This is mainly because a lot of steep downhills (where I ride) are not straight, but zig zag instead.

As others said, I put most of my weight on the back on my seat, but not enough that the front gets too light and you loose control. Most of the time the motor is dead and in first gear with the clutch in.

Kind of like snowboarding down steep hills, I use my butt and feet to shift my weight, from side to side, so I can 'carve' left and right.

I think the best thing you can do is watch others go down the hill and determine the best line for you. Then, as you go down, work hard to keep in that line/rut.

I modulate the front brake at the top of hill, and anytime the decent straightens.

Toward the bottom of the hill (assuming it's straight at the bottom section) I let go the brakes, shift up a gear high, bump start the bike, and gently roll into the throttle at the bottom. It gives you more control when your controlling the speed of your forward momentum.

Best thing you can do is practice a familiar hill a lot and work on choosing the best line. Don't practice alone!

I pull the clutch in pretty much anytime I'm coasting so it's natural on downhills. As everyone has stated, clutch in, weight waaay back.

One of Mike Lafferty's riding tips I read one time stated "set your speed at the top of the hill, it's easier to maintain speed rather than reduce it after you've alread started down the hill" (rough translation, he may have worded it a little differently, but the gist is the same).

And a road racing tip comes to mind too.. be SMOOTH with your control inputs. No jerking or yanking levers allowed. You'd be amazed how much more brake you can use when you squeeeze the lever, rather than a quick/panic yank on it.

so its better to pull the clutch in and not use the little amount of engine break? doesnt that speed you up and give you less traction? but ill try it next time im out.

It's bad for the engine. When you're not on the gas in a 2 stroke there's no oil going to the engine and it can screw it up. Unless it's a REAL short hill pull the clutch in.

On really steep technical downhills, I always pull in the clutch and kill the engine. That makes it easier to hear and feel when the front or rear wheel locks and let off a little.

Unlike most people here, I do not shift my weight far back - I shift back a little, but no more than absolutely necessary. This comes from lots of experience riding really steep trails. It's easier to control your bike when you're up on top of it in an aggressive balanced riding position, rather than hanging off the back with your arms and legs straight and the seat trying to bump you over the bars.