XR650L Versus KLX650

How does the KLX compare to the XRL? KLX i think has advantage with USD forks and water cooling. Both come with E start and have similar characteristics. What about longevity? Maintenance cost? Power?

My opinion is based on 1kish miles on a 93xr650l and a few hours on a 96klx650r.

the klx I ride has no estart, very nimble, lots of power, suspension is ok, turns tight and would smoke check a 650l IMO.

The 650l estart, crappy suspension, brakes suck, good lowend grunt, handles like it has flat tires all the time and is way heavy.

If you are looking for something as a woods bike, get the KLX but be advised there isn't much support for them. You will have to do a lot of part number cross referencing to get decent stuff. Power is more linear than the L, and the kickstart is easy if you get the "sequence" down.

The 650L is a better road bike than woods or tight trails. It's heavy and shows it, suspension is very mushy (I'm 200+lbs), e start makes you lazy.

You could try a Google search, search our forums, then maybe look at the bikes yourself. There are lots and lots of reviews on both. Either one will get the job done.

Did you post the same question in the KLX forum? I'm sure they all say Honda. haha.

Anyway, a dualsport is what it is. Maybe not the BEST bikes for the dirt but they will get ya where you need to go. Are you in a race? Probably not. The same goes for the street, not the best for street use but you'll get there.

Get what you like or what you can find a good deal on. It's mostly what feels right to you.

The best advice would be to at least sit on them both before you decide.

Good luck.

It seems that the KLX may be a bit more dirt worthy that the XRL, but there is not nearly the aftermarket network for the KLX. If you catch the "mod bug" with the KLX, you'd be pretty limited.

Also (and maybe most importantly) owning a KLX might lead one into considering buying a KLR which is reason enough to RUN AWAY! :bonk: I park next to a couple of couple of KLRs at work... what a confused motorcycle. :bonk:

Stay away from KLR and Kawasaki in general. First day on the KLR650, oil plug drops out, dumping the oil and then seizing the engine. Kawasaki refuses to fix the bike. POS manufacturer!

Really? Wow. Was it a brand new bike? If so, I'd file a lawsuit. It's cheap to do, and methinks they'd start having second thoughts and opt to fix the bike for you.

I can't comment on the KLR, but the XR-L is so closely related to the XR6, that you can definitely make it as dirt-worthy as you want. I haven't weighed the battery and starter together, but I'd believe that once you strip most of the extraneous crap off the L, it's probably only 10#'s heavier than the XR6. If you can live with that (older and air-cooled vs. liquid cooled bling aka CR X/R), you'll be happy.

All this talk about how the XR650L isn't dirt "worthy" is horsesh!t. I just bought one two weeks ago. I've been tearing around all through the Sierra Nevada Mountains on the thing. Sure, it's a little heavy, and the suspension a little soft, but it's by no means out of it's element.

Not sure everyone here noticed the question is about a 308lb KLX dirt-only bike, not a street-legal KLR that weighs about, what, 380? 400?

That makes the question mnore like, "Which is a better dirt bike, an XR600R or an XR650L?"

I've never seen a KLX650 in person, but it looks like a pretty good bike.

Dave

Not sure everyone here noticed the question is about a 308lb KLX dirt-only bike, not a street-legal KLR that weighs about, what, 380? 400?

That makes the question mnore like, "Which is a better dirt bike, an XR600R or an XR650L?"

I've never seen a KLX650 in person, but it looks like a pretty good bike.

Dave

DING DING!

I was making my point from a KLX650R viewpoint, KLX is in hands down better offroad than XRL. When I say "offroad" I'm not talking about "oh look a county maintained unpaveod road", I'm talking about limbs in your face, rocks the size of volleyballs............

"When I say "offroad" I'm not talking about "oh look a county maintained unpaveod road", I'm talking about limbs in your face, rocks the size of volleyballs............"

LOL, I just looked where you're riding- Virginia. LMAO. Of course you're thinking county roads. You have not a clue what riding is until you come ride out west. County roads? In the Sierra Nevada Mountains? Maintained? HAH! These aren't even "roads" I'm riding. They're lucky to even qualify as trails. And rocks, we've got rocks. They range in size from your little volleyballs to bigger than any house you've ever seen. Thanks for the laugh, bud. Get "county road" out of your mind. This might help:

RubiconJeepMC.jpg

Hey, if you can hang on, the L will climb up that shit as well as anything else. The thing is an absolute tractor. Yea, I don't agree with the previous comment either about the L not being as dirt worthy.

If you drop the gearing down to be more suitable off-road and get a set of new knobbies, hold on. The bike just wont stall. The rider is usually the limiting factor.

DING DING!

I was making my point from a KLX650R viewpoint, KLX is in hands down better offroad than XRL.

:bonk:

Yeah, if you're talking about a stock "L". Any bike with real knobs will do better off-road than something with DP tires.

If your so inclined, the "L" can be made just as dirt-worthy as an XR600 which will smack the shit of the KLX. The benefit to the "L" it comes already plated (which is probably important when you're riding those county roads in VA. :bonk:

Ha! I've ridden in Virginia, and MountainBear hit the nail on the head...:bonk::lol:

BLSBRKR65, the first thing you need to do is figure out if you want a street bike or a dirt bike. Once you've decided, you can compare apples to apples. The correct comparison to the KLX650 is the XR650R (both dirt bikes), the XRL compares directly to the KLR.

I sold my KLR for my XRL (well, XL600R), because the KLR, while great on the street, isn't really suited for anything more rugged than a surfaced, unpaved mountain road or a fire road. Most of my riding is more technical than that, and the KLR didn't lend itself well to that stuff. For the highway, the KLR was better hands down. Of course, my XLR is a 1983 and my KLR was a 2003, so there's 20 years of refinement in favor of the Kawi.

Oh geez, please stop bashing me and my riding areas.:bonk:

We could argue all day on who has the best and toughest riding areas, but that isn't what this post was about. I merely stated that offroad needed to be defined more clearly, was offroad:

A. two track, with mild grade and pebble size rocks

B. rocks the size of houses on trails that can barely be catorgorized as trails since they aren't trails cause that would mean they would be accessible and only real men that ride on house size rocks can ride those non trail trails on a unicycle.

The comparison of the XRL and older KLR would be a closer comparison than the XRL and KLX-R. As stated, my opinion is the KLX-R is a better offroad bike than the XRL. Actually, the XRL would be more closely compared to a DR, of course the DR has shit for suspension.

Bottom line is if the dude is wanting something more streetable, and a better aftermarket he should go with the Honda.

Really? Wow. Was it a brand new bike? If so, I'd file a lawsuit. It's cheap to do, and methinks they'd start having second thoughts and opt to fix the bike for you.

Thanks, waiting to hear back from a lawyer.

Hey, if you can hang on, the L will climb up that shit as well as anything else. The thing is an absolute tractor. Yea, I don't agree with the previous comment either about the L not being as dirt worthy.

If you drop the gearing down to be more suitable off-road and get a set of new knobbies, hold on. The bike just wont stall. The rider is usually the limiting factor.

Ding Ding Ding!! Just do a you tube search for Ivan on thie 650l! He will show you what it can do. I can twist and turn a ST1300 around in very tight spaces. Its all the rider and all in the head. A race bike makes a good rider not. I will say this the L needs a little help form the showroom, but because all the lawyers had to get into the mix about what a dual sport has to be. Honda has always provided great bikes. Reliable and powerful (potential) A few things need to be swapped out for the individual rider. The L has the power. Its a great all round platfore. To many are dazzled by a shinny penny.

Edited by MetricThump
I can't spell or type obviously!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 650L.

There are two makes of KLX, exactly the same as with XR too: The KLX-R is a lightweighted good off road bike with a kick starter and not street legal. It's the competitor of the XR-R.

The KLX-C is a lazy, heavy, e-starter street legal version, competitor of the XR-L.

I used to ride a KLX-R and i now ride a XR-L.

I find the XR-L is better than the KLX-C in all points, except the performance of the motor.

The XR650R is better than the KLX-R, but not the XR600R. The engine of the KLX is much more modern than the XR engine, but also much more complicated to maintain.

The suspension and brakes is better in the XR models.

Ding Ding Ding!! Just do a you tube search for Ivan on thie 650l! He will show you what it can do. I can twist and turn a ST1300 around in very tight spaces. Its all the rider and all in the head. A race bike makes a good rider not. I will say this the L needs a little help form the showroom, but because all the lawyers had to get into the mix about what a dual sport has to be. Honda has always provided great bikes. Reliable and powerful (potential) A few things need to be swapped out for the individual rider. The L has the power. Its a great all round platfore. To many are dazzled by a shinny penny.

All this talk about how the XR650L isn't dirt "worthy" is horsesh!t. I just bought one two weeks ago. I've been tearing around all through the Sierra Nevada Mountains on the thing. Sure, it's a little heavy, and the suspension a little soft, but it's by no means out of it's element.

You got that right!! I had an XR600, XR650R, and now own a KTM300. Of all those bikes the 600 was the most versatile.

My next bike will be a 650L. The suspension is lightyears ahead of a KLX and motor reliable as a hammer.

If you respring and dial in the clickers, the XR is a pretty good handling bike. Sure it's heavy. But a great "all around bike"!

I was thinking of adding a set of these and really having some fun!!

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/