Learning to Jump..... Big Bike or Small Bike??????????

I have rode dirtbikes most of my life (37 years old) but have never had anywhere to ride that had any jumps. Just getting back into ridding since I got my kids some bikes and am teaching them to ride. Planning on taking them to some local places that will have some jumps. I bought myself a 2001 cr125 and the wife a 2002 cr80, I'm only 5.5 and weigh 120lbs so would I be better off learning to jump on the cr80 or learn on the cr125 that I will be riding mostly. I would greatly appreciate any advice ya'll can recommend, can't really afford to get hurt but wanna have some fun also. Thanks.

On my KX 100 I couldn't jump any of the triples I see the 85s doing. I hop on my Dad's 250f, in 2 laps I'm hitting all the triples.

I suggest you ride the 80 for first 1/4 of the day then hop on the 125.. :bonk:

i was better jumping on a kx100 till i got used to the weight of my 125

The larger wheel base makes leaving jumps and landing a whole lot smoother in my opinion. Unless your telling a tall tale with your stats then the 125 would be better I think.

Your should buy Gary Semics videos. Would be a good investment considering you have a whole family of new riders your trying to teach how to ride safely.

i think i was better on the 100 because the lite weight and short wheelbase i could flick it around in the air easier. plus i could do a little bunny hop

Whatever bike, you need to make sure the suspension is good for your weight. I'd stick with the 125 though.

ride the 125. the longer wheel base will make jumping easier. more suspension, bigger wheels ect.

Ride the 125. You are better suited to it's size.

Don't get too focused on jumps. If you ride the bike enough and get comfortable on it then the jumps will just be another part of the track. A lot of beginners will make the mistake of gassing it off the lip of a jump and lean back too far. It would be better to accelerate out of the corner and then use a steady speed and float over the jump without doing anything radical.

Ride Pro-actively and stay in front of the bike. Beginners will typically ride Re-actively, meaning they turn the throttle and then react to it. You want to be the guy telling the bike what to do, not the guy who is along for the ride and getting bucked and bounced around.

Hope this helps.

I think MotoTimbo has it pegged.

I agree that you should start jumping on the 125, but, in addition to the reasons already listed, you should think about the fact that you'll be riding the 125, for the most part.

If you learn to jump adequately on the 80, then you'll have to accommodate these new skills to the bigger 125, which basically adds an unnecessary step to the learning process. It's always better to learn on your primary ride, so you'll feel more comfortable in the long run.

125 for sure

125, just remember to land with the trottle wide open. THe suspension settles immediately when you land with the throttle open.

I'm going to try both of them, got to get both setup for my weight. Waiting on my extra subframe to come in for the 125, going to try and modify it to get it a little more comffortable for me to handle.