WHat can you say about the Harley Sporters 1200 "NIGHTSTER"?

I've been checking out pics of the harley sporster 1200 "nightster" lately since my dad bought a 1200 sportster "custom". The nightster looked more of a bike for the younger riders like myself.

I've never been into harleys,but im kinda liking its design. Lots of aftermarket parts, customization. Even in stock form the nighster looks really nice. And harleys are low maintenance too, right? Thinking of buying one in the future. But still will keep my DRZ. :bonk:

What do you guys think about this model? Know anyone who has one? ride report, reviews by someone you know. How toquey is it? since it has 1200cc.If you drag race this vs a DRZ 1/4 mile who would win? Both stock Just curious.

.... And harleys are low maintenance too, right?

Harley Davidson? Low maintenance?

I've heard lots of words to describe a Harley, but I don't think "low maintenance" was ever one of them. :bonk:

The 1969 Honda CB750 was called the "Harley Killer" because it almost killed off the Harley. The popular bikes of the day, Triumphs and Harleys, were so unreliable and the CB750 was bullet proof.

By the end of the 70's and early 80's it drove Triumph into bankrupcy and almost did the same with Harley.... until the US Gov't stepped in and effectively stopped Honda from competing with Harley to allow Harley Davidson to survive as a company.

It took a few decades but Triumph came back, and both Harley and Triumph improved their quality and reliability. While I'm sure it's much better than it was, I'm still not sure I've ever heard "Harley" and "low maintenance" in the same sentence, even today.

I thought they were low maintenance coz tons of these bikes being sold by harley every year. They say that once youve got a harley you can keep it forever.

i rode a sportster 1200 around for about 6 months it was an 08 and not a nightster but same motor same ride and it was a lot of fun to ride if you get one you HAVE to get aftermarket pipes the bike sucks without them i had a set of pythons on the one i rode, as for the ride they are kinda small so you feel more bumps than you would on a larger harley but it wasn't anything you couldn't deal with and as for maintenance i had to clean the plugs twice or it lost power other than that it shifted a little hard like the clutch wasn't fully engaged. The guys at the harley shop said it was fine though.

so basically i liked the bike a lot but i think you should test ride one if at all possible, the only downside is the stock ones have pipes that restrict the bike so much you'll hate it so try and find one that's been upgraded a bit

I would definetely replace the pipe. Are slip ons ok? OR full exhuast? Since these sportsters are fuel injected dont need to do anything else right?

yes forgot to mention the pythons i had were slip ons and to my knowledge nothing else was done after that

The 1200 will be faster than the DRZ without a doubt, but you are also talking about completely different types of motorcycles. If speed is what you really want, i would look elsewhere. For the price of a nightster you could pick up a 2009 Suzuki SV650SF and still have $$ left over for a pipe, filter, and power commander. And the SV650 would hand the harley its ass on a silver platter... on the used side you can find clean SV650's in the $3500-$4500 range...

I've heard lots of words to describe a Harley, but I don't think "low maintenance" was ever one of them. :bonk:

The 1969 Honda CB750 was called the "Harley Killer" because it almost killed off the Harley. The popular bikes of the day, Triumphs and Harleys, were so unreliable and the CB750 was bullet proof.

By the end of the 70's and early 80's it drove Triumph into bankrupcy and almost did the same with Harley.... until the US Gov't stepped in and effectively stopped Honda from competing with Harley to allow Harley Davidson to survive as a company.

It took a few decades but Triumph came back, and both Harley and Triumph improved their quality and reliability. While I'm sure it's much better than it was, I'm still not sure I've ever heard "Harley" and "low maintenance" in the same sentence, even today.

you forgot to mention that the CB750 was fast as hell too! :bonk:

I still occasionally ride my 1972 Superglide I purchased in 1971. It has over 225,000 on the clock. Not too many Hondas of that vintage still running around with those kind of miles.

In all honesty it's been a rather good bike that's taken me all over the US multiple times. Even today I wouldn't think twice about it being able to make a trip to California from Kansas. Of course I don't think I could do it any more but that's a different subject.

The Honda was priced well below what Harley's were at the time. The British bikes were even worse than Harleys as far as oil leaking with the side benefit of electrical systems even worse than the Lucas garbage stuck in British cars. Dealers that would rape you on hard to get parts made it even worse for the British bikes. I submit almost anything would have sold relatively well considering the choices available.

Harley had some serious issues at the time with uneven quality control but usually the bikes didn't give much trouble if properly taken care of. On the plus side even a hack could disassemble and repair anything on a Harley.

If you drag race this vs a DRZ 1/4 mile who would win? Both stock Just curious.

Apparently the Harley. But not by much .

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/200801perfindex.pdf (UK specs)

I'll wager that Eddie Sisneros could put that right with no sweat!

My mom got a Nightster last year, and loves it. I've ridden it a handful of times, and like it. If I was to ever get a Harley, I'd get that exact bike.

She got some skull themed accessories for it (clutch cover, grips, airbox, pegs, etc..)

A few notes...

Doesn't have a passenger seat by default

Due to the EFI, it's a bit touchy at low speed in 1st gear. We have a gravel driveway, and it's hard to just crawl along with it. Above 5 mph it's great though

Lots of torque, very different from my Yamaha YZF R6, all low end power

Get a softer seat, as the back end isn't very soft. Even with some adjustment, the back end transmits the road right to your spine. It's not bad on good pavement, but she lives up in Maine, and the roads have lots of cracks/potholes/frostheave, and it's not pleasant on those roads.

Otherwise it's a killer bike.

She gets all the maintenance done at a dealer, and has had no issues. I'd say about 3k miles so far, so not a lot, but she rides it almost every other day in the summer and has never had so much as a stall or an oil drip.

I wanna get a harley for days that im just gonna go cruising & just check out the scenery in a relaxing way. I dont need a fast bike thats why i want the sportster. I know, its still fast but not fast compared to other bikes out there. The 1200cc would be more than enough for me. The torque is more what im interested in & it looks great too. Im pretty sure theres alot of motard/offroad riders that also have harleys .

I thought they added a Street Forum so we wouldn't have to see the "H" word here anymore. :bonk:

Don't the guys on "real" Harleys kinda look down on guys on Sportsters?

I thought they added a Street Forum so we wouldn't have to see the "H" word here anymore. :bonk:

Don't the guys on "real" Harleys kinda look down on guys on Sportsters?

Thats what i thought too. But the nightster just looks really good compared to the other sportster variants that look kinda weird. :bonk:

it says a harley goes 0-60 in 4.58s, drz400sm in 5.45, not much differance if you ask me. . . specially if your on much curvy roads, sure harlys CAN turn, but youll notice your going to have to try MUCH harder to turn on a big thing using ancient technology like a harley.

Make sure you get a set of straight pipes for your Harley! Straight pipes make a Harley sound like a Harley should... LOUD!

Harley's suck, and sell only because of the logo on the side of the tank.

Get a Victory. EFI, 97hp, 103 ft/lbs of torque. 100 cubic inch motors. I had a 2006 Victory Vegas, awesome bike.....til I got laid off and had to sell the toys.

Harleys are not fast, that being said, the sportster is an excellent platform for performance if you want to build something up. That said, you can get a lighter sportster from 1992-2003 without EFI (and with solid engine mounting instead of rubber), for 3,000 or so if it's all dirty. Then spend $1000-$2000 on buell parts and have 100 horsepower and blow the nightster out of the water. The best you can do is the XL1200 S which has gas shocks and cartridge front forks as well as dual floating rotors up front. I just bought one for $4000 flat and it goes to the dyno in a couple weeks to pull what I hope to be about 100 horsepower give or take.

Essentially, the best you can hope for is to hit 600 supersport territory in a straight line... up to about 90 mph. You can buy nice wheels and do radials, get long rear shocks to jack up the end to have a turning performer, but it's all $$$$. Fun bikes but don't expect a sportbike, and great fun to mod.

You will notice it won't stop anything like a sport bike if you've ever ridden one of those. If you have a sport bike you'll want to remember that Harley is much heavier and won't stop as well as your sport bike.

Not too long ago there was a 23 bike wreck in Wilsonville OR, the Brother Speed mc group hit the pavement. Riding too close together, not enough time to stop, traffic, one or all got them that time.