Sign in to follow this  

Wiring/Starting problem

Its a 2003 DR650. 1st lost tail/plate light then the Neutral light started to not to work and at same time to get the bike to start would have to turn bars back and forth while holding starter button down to get bike to fire. Once started it runs fine. Looked at wiring diagram and found the wires for the lights. Both the plate and neutral light wire were broke were the come out from under the tank and start up the steering stem. They broke inside the insulation. No rubbing of the wire at all. Was thinking the starting problem was related to the neutral light. Not. Got it all back together and I still have to move the bars to get it to fire. So obviously I have the same problem. I'm away from the manuel to look at the diagram. This computer will not allow down loads. So can somebody point me in the direction of which color wire I need to look at in the main wiring harness that goes around steering stem for the starting circuit. I'm thinking it the Y/G that comes of the clutch lever. Thanks.

Hi, trace the 2 wires from the clutch lever switch to behind the headlight. Unplug it and plug the wireing loom conectors together, this will isolate 1 possible problem. The neutral light is possibly the neutral light switch under the clutch cover and would be my first priority as if it has come undone the screws etc could potentially cost you the engine. Chech out the posts on here for the neutral switch. I have seen first hand the damage that a nuetral switch screw can do, very messy and expensive.

It was the yellow/green wire in the main wiring harness. In same spot as the other 2 had broken, right were it passes the steering head. So 3 out of what 10 or so has broken. That gives me alot of confidnece. Jst a matter of time until another does.Must be a perfect flex point. All 3 wires were broke inside the insulation. No visible sign of damage from the outside.

It was the yellow/green wire in the main wiring harness. In same spot as the other 2 had broken, right were it passes the steering head. So 3 out of what 10 or so has broken. That gives me alot of confidnece. Jst a matter of time until another does.Must be a perfect flex point. All 3 wires were broke inside the insulation. No visible sign of damage from the outside.

Wow... I've seen posts on the harness wearing through and shorting against the frame before but not internal breakage. I'd be checking the cable and harness routing in the manual against how your bike is laid out. Sometimes an ill placed cable tie can wreak havoc as well.

Think you hit the nail on the head Mx. There was an extra cable tie near the steering stem. Not now. Thanks.

Think you hit the nail on the head Mx. There was an extra cable tie near the steering stem. Not now. Thanks.

Yeah, very bad juju happens when you put anything tight around your cables and harnesses. Most cable ties are too sharp even if applied loosley so the components can't move freely to keep from overstressing them. Hopefully that will fix your issue. :bonk: