Back pack vs. waist pack vs. fender pack?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a Classic Camelbak. I prefer the 70oz kit. and a Moose fanny pack. The Fanny pack holds the tool weight down low and doesn't effect your riding nor put a strain on your back. The Camelbak fits close and centered on your back also and I don't notice it when racing. The camelbak is also getting lighter as you drink.

Seems to be the preferred choices of most racers.

Dwight

:bonk:

Thanks Dwight, but a few more questions...

Do you find that the fanny pack bounces around alot or does it stay in place well? I'd imagine that for Hare Scrambles I'd leave the tools, etc and just carry the camelbak, but for enduros and trail riding it would be nice to just toss on the fanny pack in addition to the camelbak and ride.

Also, I've searched and came up with a few different models of the Moose pack, any one in particular that you reccomend?

***EDIT: I should mention the pack has to hold - 21' tube, patch kit, CO2 inflator kit, tire levers, small KTM tool pack that came with the bike as well as an adjustable wrench and a couple of screwdrivers I added to it, extra spark plugs, moose spark plug wrench, zip ties, wallet keys phone. I think thats about it

I started out using a fox camelback type back pack. Really did not like the weight on top of my chest protector. Not sure how that would work anyway with my neck brace now that I use one.

For the last two seasons have using camelback fanny pack. Dont feel the weight like I did when it was on my back and does not interfere with chest protector.

On longer trips, I also ride with front fender back for tools. It straps on around the fork tubes and does not move at all. Found it at ktm talk site.

I tried using moose rear fender back. Well made and really organized tools well but I would always hit my leg on it when I was throwing over leg to get on bike. Getting older and wearing knee braces, I just could not get my darn leg over the rear fender back a lot of the time.

msr enduro waistpack carries all tools minus tire repair. camelback only as the backpack. moose rear fender pack, medium sized carries tow straps tape, space blanket, athletic tape etc. moose spare tube front fender pack carries tube, irons, inflator, patch kit and valve tool. helps to spread the weight around by having the different spots for carrying gear. the flight vest is too warm for me in the summer time. nice in the winter though.

• Experts

A properly adjusted fanny pack does not bounce around at all. I use the Race Pack. I loop a 21" tube around the belt. Held in place by a innertube rubber band. Why are you carrying a phone and wallet during a race ? You should only carry the bare nessesities.

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, but a few more questions...

Do you find that the fanny pack bounces around alot or does it stay in place well? I'd imagine that for Hare Scrambles I'd leave the tools, etc and just carry the camelbak, but for enduros and trail riding it would be nice to just toss on the fanny pack in addition to the camelbak and ride.

Also, I've searched and came up with a few different models of the Moose pack, any one in particular that you reccomend?

***EDIT: I should mention the pack has to hold - 21' tube, patch kit, CO2 inflator kit, tire levers, small KTM tool pack that came with the bike as well as an adjustable wrench and a couple of screwdrivers I added to it, extra spark plugs, moose spark plug wrench, zip ties, wallet keys phone. I think thats about it

I've recently started using a Berghaus backpack with my Camelbak bladder in. loaded with two 2l coke bottles of fuel, phone, wallet, GPS, tools and asthma meds.

Weighs a bit, mostly due to the extra fuel. The key is to carry the weight high, tighten the shoulder straps till it's akward to put it on without letting them out a bit, then a quick pull tighter. Can ride for hours and not know it's there.

Did You Boy's ever think that maybe,maybe You might be carrying to much stuff to begin with.....out ....Dr.D......

I think that depends where you ride - how far out you get etc. I wouldn't ride the mountains out here (utah) or any trails south of here without quite a bit of gear...I think what's been mentioned here is minimum - not for racing, obviously, but for enduro / trail riding - nah, you're not carrying too much.

Did You Boy's ever think that maybe,maybe You might be carrying to much stuff to begin with.....out ....Dr.D......

I carry what's necessary, from experience, a phone, money and GPS are required when something goes wrong. Spare plug and tools to undrown a bike too. Extra fuel means I can be out longer. Should stick a first aid lit in these too actually..

A properly adjusted fanny pack does not bounce around at all. I use the Race Pack. I loop a 21" tube around the belt. Held in place by a innertube rubber band. Why are you carrying a phone and wallet during a race ? You should only carry the bare nessesities.

Dwight

The wallet keys and phone are only carried when doing a trail ride. In an enduro I plan to bring along the tools and equipment I listed before, in a Hare Scramble I plan on just bringing the camelbak with water since the courses around here are rather short. Should I be carrying more in a HS race?

I'm going to the toy store today to hopefully be able to look at some of the Moose packs in person (if they have any stock:excuseme:)

My Zacspeed RP-3 chestprotector/backpack is awesome, but I wish I'd bought the bigger SP-3. I tend to drink a lot while riding, so the RP-3 doesn't fit a lot once I have 3 liters of water in it. The SP3 would have plenty of space.

I also have the RP-3 and wish I had the SP-3 due to needing a bit more space for tools than the RP-3 provides.

I don't race, I don't think the pack is too heavy as mine usually just has water and bare minimum of tools and depending on where I am a GPS.

K

Yeah, an extra plug,and wrench , gps, toilet paper,screw driver ,and knife....If You have a flat You can ride it in...don't forget the zip-ties they are good repair tools...With cell phones these days ..You are not going to die out on the trail , like the old Day's.....Most of the time You don't need as much stuff as You think You need...Ride as light as You can...out....Dr.D..........

Yeah, an extra plug,and wrench , gps, toilet paper,screw driver ,and knife....If You have a flat You can ride it in...don't forget the zip-ties they are good repair tools...With cell phones these days ..You are not going to die out on the trail , like the old Day's.....Most of the time You don't need as much stuff as You think You need...Ride as light as You can...out....Dr.D..........

I don't know about Texas but in Idaho cell phones don't work in the mountains. If I'm 30 or 40 miles from the nearest road I want all the help I can get to make it back. I pack tools and tire repair stuff in a fender pack attached to a rear rack. If its a long trips I have a small pack that fits over the fender pack that hold gatorade and food. In cooler weather or shorter trips the food, water and first aid go in a back pack.

Up until this week, I carried a big arse hydration backpack. it is expandable to carry anything. betcha it could hold a tent. lol. carries a radio, phone, wet ones, tie wraps, syfon hose, tape, some tools, sealed bag of beef jerkey, and odds and ends..

however, I just got an Ogio flight vest and will see how that works out. looks like it distributes the weight better. the backpack however, did give some added cushion when I fall down. lol.

In addition to the vest, I have attached a fanny pack against my gastank. it carries my keys, extra batteries, sd cards, a trail map, and sometimes a camera.