Sign in to follow this  

Subaru STi

Any Subaru mechanics out there?

I have been wanting one of these cars for a long time, and ran across an '04 with 83,000 miles for $14,995. Obviously...thats alot of miles, especially for a performance car. A roll of the dice, to be honest.

Assuming the car has been taken care of and not abused (I have yet to go see it and "interview" the seller) could I expect another 120K out of it? Or can I basically count on one problem after another, even if it has been treated well over the years.

Any tips or advice from somebody familiar with this car would be awesome!

well subaru is known for making dependable cars that are capable of surviving several hundred thousand miles, that being said you are buying a sports car, majority of the drivers of a STI are in there 20's i would guess... so these particular subarus are known for being heavily abused... a few of my friends have them two of which are over 125k so with the proper care you could easily get that much more out of it. remember MORE MODS = LOWER RELIABILITY! and have fun it's a great car!

Any Subaru mechanics out there?

I have been wanting one of these cars for a long time, and ran across an '04 with 83,000 miles for $14,995. Obviously...thats alot of miles, especially for a performance car. A roll of the dice, to be honest.

Assuming the car has been taken care of and not abused (I have yet to go see it and "interview" the seller) could I expect another 120K out of it? Or can I basically count on one problem after another, even if it has been treated well over the years.

Any tips or advice from somebody familiar with this car would be awesome!

I'm not up on my Suby prices, but a 6 year old car with almost 100k on the clock that they want half of new value for?

IDK....that seems kinda high IMHO.

Edit: After doing a little research, it seems these cars demand (or at least the sellers demand) some big bucks for them.

I got a 2007 subaru legacy sedan with $21,000 for $13,800. Those STI's are nice. Go test drive the legacy GT limited with a turbo 5-speed. I bet you get a better car with more room and bigger trunk. They are pretty darn fast and ride nicer than the STI. just my opinion. I almost bought a 2005 Limited gt turbo 5-speed with 55,000 @ $13,800. It sold before I could get back and buy it:foul:I'm sure you could do all the STI motor mods.

Ya pretty high resale value on these cars. One of the highest. 83 thou miles seems about right for an 04.

I'm on my third Subaru and they are pretty tough. However I'd consider having an outside source check it out if you can - motor, drive train, suspension etc. If it's been wrecked, move on - jmo.

It would be nice if the service records were kept as well. And ultimately that thing is bone stock. Again a good sign imo.

Also make sure you're clear on insurance pricing before you buy an Sti. They know.

Ya pretty high resale value on these cars. One of the highest. 83 thou miles seems about right for an 04.

I'm on my third Subaru and they are pretty tough. However I'd consider having an outside source check it out if you can - motor, drive train, suspension etc. If it's been wrecked, move on - jmo.

It would be nice if the service records were kept as well. And ultimately that thing is bone stock. Again a good sign imo.

Also make sure you're clear on insurance pricing before you buy an Sti. They know.

another good reason for the Legacy GT

I have always wanted a sti. I've seen a few 04's on craigslist with about 50k to 70k miles and they seem to be listed at about 13k-14k, but i'm sure they would take less if you had cash in hand. If i were you i would try to find a nice 06 or 07 with low miles. They have the nice front end... before they turned into the ugly hatch back

Thanks for the input guys.

Sounds a bit too good to be true. I found this site this morning, and for anyone who is interested in these cars, check it out http://www.iwsti.com/ It is without question the TT of Subarus. Cool people, tons of information.

I have been reading that site almost all day, and from what I gather, you don't want to buy a modded STi. If they have modded it, it is because they want to go faster, and ofcourse that goes hand in hand with abuse.

That ad on craigslist has been on there for a really long time, he has lowered his price 4 times i think. Nothing sells these days

Sounds a bit too good to be true.
That ad on craigslist has been on there for a really long time, he has lowered his price 4 times i think. Nothing sells these days

Straight from the ad:

This car does have a prior salvage rebuilt title.

He goes on about how that even though it's a salvage, it's perfect, :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

And then comes the whopper....(and after reading this, you know damn well that car is as tweaked as Courtney Love)

Almost forgot to mention insurance is cheap too!

:bonk::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Quote: Almost forgot to mention insurance is cheap too!

Hehehe:thumbsup:

Look I don't mean to be "dad" here but the bottom line is you're talkin about a car - a sports car at that, with 80,000 miles. At 14-15 grand, you could get more for your money- like a WRX? I know, I know - it wouldn't be an Sti - And I know there's not much out there for 14 grand that'll hang with a vet (second and third gear will have your gf dumping her drink) off the line and turn around outhandle and outbrake just about anything in it's path... I get it.

But if you'd ask my opinion, I'd look into getting a regular WRX with that kinda money and wait till you can afford want you want later. It will happen. Don't put yourself in a hole.

And again, I would seriously way out your insurance payments and the value of this car. That and how much you'll be driving it.

Man I hate to be that guy...mr. boring, practicale &%$#@!. But others and myself have been in you're situation and got burned. Then again, it could all work out and you could have a good relationship with that car and never look back haha. Either way. Drive safe and welcome to the disease that there is no cure for.:smirk:

Edited by onehitah

Quote: Almost forgot to mention insurance is cheap too!

Hehehe:thumbsup:

Look I don't mean to be "dad" here but the bottom line is you're talkin about a car - a sports car at that, with 80,000 miles. At 14-15 grand, you could get more for your money- like a WRX? I know, I know - it wouldn't be an Sti - And I know there's not much out there for 14 grand that'll hang with a vet (second and third gear will have your gf dumping her drink) off the line and turn around outhandle and outbrake just about anything in it's path... I get it.

But if you'd ask my opinion, I'd look into getting a regular WRX with that kinda money and wait till you can afford want you want later. It will happen. Don't put yourself in a hole.

And again, I would seriously way out your insurance payments and the value of this car. That and how much you'll be driving it.

Man I hate to be that guy...mr. boring, practicale &%$#@!. But others and myself have been in you're situation and got burned. Then again, it could all work out and you could have a good relationship with that car and never look back haha. Either way. Drive safe and welcome to the disease that there is no cure for.:smirk:

I'm still waiting to get my 89 camaro with T tops! My acid wash jeans have already bit the dust:foul:

I'm still waiting to get my 89 camaro with T tops! My acid wash jeans have already bit the dust:foul:

Since you put it that way, I better go out and buy it now!!:smirk:

Insurance is what got me.. I was lookin at a Silverado SS but insurance would be outrageous on that truck for me. So instead I got a Grand Cherokee Limited with a Hemi. Its still pretty quick but insurance won't be insane on it.

I have a Mitsubishi Evo, and the STi's are very nice, but we get converts from the Sti crowd, they love the evo. Evo's are in that same price bracket as the Subie, but the performance evo parts are not expensive, and the car is easy to work on compared to the design of the Subie engine. Changing full exhaust on an evo is a 45 minute job and probably the first thing you'll do if it's not already done on the car.

evo3-1.jpg