Abnormal pap smear results...

Hey y'all my gf went to the doc and he said she had cancerous cells... She goes back in Thursday to get more tests done but I was just wondering how serious this might get. She was afraid to tell me cause she thought I'd dump her but I told her I still want to be with her.

• Like 1

as a recent cancer patient .

you better stick in there , it could be nothing or very easily treatable . don't flip out of freak out . i never did and it didn't help when everyone around me did , just be calm and normal . my cousin survived cervix cancer and even went on to have a child after even though it had to be artificially jammed in there .

again i think its easier when it happens to you , i would have a tougher time if my girlfriend got it rather then if i got it again .

don't jump the gun until you have been to a cancer clinic and seen an oncologist , sounds like she hasn't even had a ct scan or pet scan or anything . no need getting excited until you know whether its a stage 4 or stage 1 . she could just end up taking pills or slight radiation possibly even just a surgery .or extensive chemo radiation and surgery .

again don't get worked up until you know everything and best of luck to you both .

The first abnormal pap smear, while worrisome, should not be a major freak out yet.

Any number of things could cause that.

It could be a fluke. It could be a lab error. She could have been spotting. You can freak out after the second one.

MY M-I-L went through that. The Doc very helpfully supplied her with all kinds of cancer info and had her completely sure she was going to die. Yeah, turns out it was nothing.

first of all~ thoughts n prayers!

every year they tell me there's abnormal pre-cancerous cells in my paps- every year i go back for another and have had several of the tests, called the colposcopy. Is that what they're doing? No big deal as far as the test,maybe a little discomfort afterwards-

i'm sure she's stressing none the less. you're good/sweet to be so concerned!

Hope it all turns out ok man!

first of all~ thoughts n prayers!

every year they tell me there's abnormal pre-cancerous cells in my paps- every year i go back for another and have had several of the tests, called the colposcopy. Is that what they're doing? No big deal as far as the test,maybe a little discomfort afterwards-

i'm sure she's stressing none the less. you're good/sweet to be so concerned!

Hope it all turns out ok man!

Same here, every year same thing. .

The reason they do paps anually is to catch it and treat it before it becomes cancerous - it usually takes years to develop into cervical cancer. Like some of the other posts said, abnormal results aren't all that unusual.

Hope everything is OK and you're a good guy to be concerned (some guys would just stick their heads in the sand)

thanks for all the thoughts and prayers... she went in yesturday and has an appointment for the 18th to get stuff taken care of. she said i'll have to drive her to the appointment and take care of her the rest of the day... hope all goes well

I had it happen to me as well - I went from being fine to having precancerous cells in a year and a half. They did a coposcopy and found that the cells weren't just on the surface so I had to have a cone biopsy to get them all. Fortunately they seem to have caught it before it could spread into my lymph nodes and I've been fine ever since.

That's what Paps are for - to catch things before they go too far. I was scared to death (this was cancer, after all) but my boyfriend was always there with whatever I needed at the time. Just keep being there for her and showing her how much you care. ?

I had an abnormal pap smear with pre-cancerous cell growth on my cervix back in 2000. They did further testing and ended up doing a LEEP, which is a heat procedure to scrape my cervix. It was painless, though if I remember right they did numb me. I've had my second child since then and #3 on the way.

My best advice to you just stay by her side. You could offer to go to doc appt with her if it's not too uncomfortable for you and her. They may of course ask you to leave the room during certain procedures though.

• 1 month later...

well thanks for all the thoughts and prayers... they said it wasn't anything serious and gave here some cream to use sorry for the late update but just wanted to let you all know how she was doing. 3 month aniversary on new years!