cleaning your motorcycle..how do ya'll get 'em so clean?

SHOUT laundry pre-cleaner. The best thing since sliced bread. Doesn't harm any part of the bike and cleans it so good with so little effort, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

I hit the bike with the hose, blasting off the chunks and getting the rest of it wet, then spray the entire bike with Shout. Let it do it's thing for 20-30 minutes, then hit it with the hose again. Simple and effective.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHOUT laundry pre-cleaner. The best thing since sliced bread. Doesn't harm any part of the bike and cleans it so good with so little effort, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

I hit the bike with the hose, blasting off the chunks and getting the rest of it wet, then spray the entire bike with Shout. Let it do it's thing for 20-30 minutes, then hit it with the hose again. Simple and effective.

Here is another vote for SHOUT. The two best products that I have used are SHOUT and Suzuki Motorcycle Wash. SHOUT is cheaper and can be purchased at many different types of stores--so I have been using it most of the time lately.

I wash all the heavy suff off with a power washer, then spray it down with either dawn or purple power and give it 3-4 minutes and spray it down again...Then once dry go over the frame with Scotch brite pads and it still looks like the day i got it

I havent had any problems with Purple Power eating away at the aluminum, it even says on the bottle it can be used to clean engines at full strength, although i dilute it to 5:1 water to PP and only let it sit for a few minutes

FInally i wipe it down with Plexus plastic cleaner to make it shine like new!!

I have a question for all you guys that keep your bike spotless after every ride. How many of you ride 3 or more days a week?

Sure I keep my bike decently clean but I certainly don't have the time to be scrubbing it down 4-5 times a week only to have it dirty again in the first 5min of riding.

If you make a point of doing it, it should take no more than half an hour. I also find it's better to get down and on your knees and give everything a rub with a sponge as part of the wash, not just cleaner and hose/pressure wash off - get it cleaner and you get to check for damage or loose/missing bolts.

I consider washing part of my maintenance regime, same as I wouldn't go out without lubing the chain, checking oil, cleaning air filter every other ride, I would go out on a dirty bike. I don't suppose you need to wash it after every ride, but like all maintenance things, if I'm not sure whether it needs it or not, I'll do it to be safe. I'm sure there's nothing wrong washing it once a week if you ride 3 times, but I wouldn't let it go for more than 2.

I have a question for all you guys that keep your bike spotless after every ride. How many of you ride 3 or more days a week?

Sure I keep my bike decently clean but I certainly don't have the time to be scrubbing it down 4-5 times a week only to have it dirty again in the first 5min of riding.

not too many i suspect.

I ride on Saturday & sometimes on Sundays. I give my bike a fairly good cleaning after riding, then I give her another go over on Monday evening after I get home from work. This is when I like to take my time and make sure everything is spotless. I dont consider it a chore, I actually like to clean my bike. Taking care of it maintenance and clean wise is part of the fun of owning it. And tell me if this aint purty...?

Purty.jpg

I ride on Saturday & sometimes on Sundays. I give my bike a fairly good cleaning after riding, then I give her another go over on Monday evening after I get home from work. This is when I like to take my time and make sure everything is spotless. I dont consider it a chore, I actually like to clean my bike. Taking care of it maintenance and clean wise is part of the fun of owning it. And tell me if this aint purty...?

Purty.jpg

My bike is well maintained. It's also raced and ridden hard. But as far as cleaning it goes I give her a good rinse every 1-5 rides depending on the maintenance needed and the mud factor. But I am just cleaning off the major grime for maintenance, not polishing the nooks and crannies.

I ride right from my door, and ride 3-5 days a week. So if I have a couple hours on a weeknight I'm going to spend that time riding, not alloting a half hour for cleaning :ride:

It's pretty much put away for the winter now so here's a pic of my bike looking it's cleanest. Looks fine from a distance, nooks and crannies don't sparkle but it has over 300hrs on it and rips.

oct09013.jpg

Me and my friend use a $40 electric powerwasher and spray on Purple Power or Simple Green while cleaning our bikes. It really takes all the dirt off and makes the black really come out. No scrubbing needed, just point and spray. Then we will spray this stuff on there I can't remember what it's called, but it says "new bike in a can" on the can and that is pretty much what it is.

I'll second the Tide bleach. It works wonders on the white plastics on my 250.

I use WD40 and a wire brush to clean the chain,

Purple Power and a toothbrush on the engine and hard to reach places like under the tank and whatnot.

Simple green works good too after you get all the heavy crap off, just spray some on, let it sit, and hose it off again.

I'm an avid car detailer, not commercially or anything, so I just end up using my products. Two buckets with grit guards, car wash mit, Foam soap, Meguiars APC+, Meguiars Super Degreaser, pressure washer with a wide tip so you don't tear anything up, and some time. My bike is white so I'll use some bleach white on a shop towel on trouble spots, usually the bottom of the rear fender.

I clean my bike every week which is probably about 3-4 rides a week. I've got acreage and have my own track so I try to ride every day. I keep my bike spotless but there is really no point to wash it every ride for me or you. Just make sure you give it a GOOD cleaning every week unless you've got a lot of mud or something. My track is mostly sand so I don't really have to worry about it being anything more than dusty.

Our bikes take some abuse but my dad being the clean-freak that he is, wants everything to look near-new at the end of the day so he has me clean up the bikes.

A pressure washer is a HUGE help. It helps you to get in those tough spots, especially around the motor and wheels. This is what I first do. Then I go and actually wash the bike. Just a quick wipe down. Hose it off, then with a toothbrush, I get in all the fine areas, maybe with some WD40 to get stuff loose (if it's an ok area to use it, that is!). Pressure wash the fine areas again and that's pretty much it. Can't do anything about damage but the bikes always look nice and clean when I'm done with them.

Also, please don't use armorall. I've seen this done so many times and it just boggles my mind. Using it on your tires is pointless and only asking for trouble, same with putting it on your seat. It may look nice but it's just ridiculous.

2nd that sonobob ?