Dunlop MX31 vs. MX51 on a YZ450 in SoCal Desert

Just back from a hot nasty ride in an area of hardpack/dryslick/covered with sand, and I need to make an amendment to a post. My front is not a 201 ?, it's a 401. And it works perfectly. Can't find 'em anymore though since the newer 403 model.

• 2 weeks later...

i just contacted dunlop.. they said every pro ama mx'er runs 120 rear... due to the larger footprint. Basically what ive been hearing.. but again, mx and not offroad. i went with the 120 just because thats what was stock... just got the mx51 front and rear mounted.. hope i like. that front sure looks skinny

• 10 months later...

I absolutely love my MX71's for my hard pack terrain in the front and rear. They are worlds better than stock, and are holding up very well. I wish I would have actually spent money on tires when I got my first dirt bike. The amount potential that you are holding yourself back by using the stock tires for the wrong terrain is amazing.

I wish I could relate to the softer series that grey is using, but the only info I can add is that dunlop makes a great aftermarket tire!

I haven't tried it yet, but I think a mx51 rear/ mx31 front might be the best combo.
If you HAVE to run Dunlops....that is the best set up. I did not like the MX 51 on the front at all the time I tried one.......Hated it in fact.

For all around performance and wear........for moto....I keep going back to the 403/404 combo.

i just contacted dunlop.. they said every pro ama mx'er runs 120 rear... due to the larger footprint. Basically what ive been hearing.. but again, mx and not offroad. i went with the 120 just because thats what was stock... just got the mx51 front and rear mounted.. hope i like. that front sure looks skinny

Thats a bit of a surprise that most pros use the 120 rear. I just switched to the 110 MX51 from the 120 rear on my 2010 (due to some advice on another thread) and i really liked it compared to the 120 on the track. It seems to be more nimble in the handling department and just a better all around when changing direction, it definitely gives the bike a lighter feel. I also had issues with the 120 tearing side wall knobs and I am not having this issue with the 110. I am running a 755 in the front and really like this combo on the intermediate soil at my local tracks. I did not care for the MX51 on the front but the rears seem to be an improvement on the 756, just my 2 cents.