Sign in to follow this  

Getting off a 250f and on to a....

I am currently riding a 08 Crf250r, my first four stroke after about a 4 year break from riding/racing. I am over the maintance and cost (who isnt these days?) and looking to go back to a two stroke. My question is a 250ts a lot more to handle than a 250fs? Im about 5'9 150-155lbs and its not like im looking for a lot more power. Would droping down to a ktm150sx be dissapointing? Who has made the switch from 250fs to 250ts?

Im in NM, so i do a lot of desert riding, but also ride/race mx and want something i can enjoy on the mx track....

I am currently riding a 08 Crf250r, my first four stroke after about a 4 year break from riding/racing. I am over the maintance and cost (who isnt these days?) and looking to go back to a two stroke. My question is a 250ts a lot more to handle than a 250fs? Im about 5'9 150-155lbs and its not like im looking for a lot more power. Would droping down to a ktm150sx be dissapointing? Who has made the switch from 250fs to 250ts?

Im in NM, so i do a lot of desert riding, but also ride/race mx and want something i can enjoy on the mx track....

I would go with a 250 2 stroke if your going to be desert riding, me and a couple of buddies go to little sahara in oklahoma a couple times a year. One has a 125 and has a heck of a time trying to keep up, though he's one of the better riders in the group. And I race my RM250 every now and then at a local MX track and love it! Zukes for life...

Don't forget the KTM 200 great bikes and they have some bottom end.

2 strokes are good for long desert hauls.... but sck at hills..... and they are slowly outlawing 2 strokes so u dont to be stuck wit selling it again...... the 4 stroke is a lot better on the suspension part for desert and climbing hills...... i have a YZ250F that i race desert and i love it...... but 2 strokes are still good for long hauls just eat up the gas a lot faster :smirk: and change the suspension and u should be good...... 4 strokes are good for slower mx tracks and 2 strokes are better for faster mx tracks

2 strokes are good for long desert hauls.... but sck at hills..... and they are slowly outlawing 2 strokes so u dont to be stuck wit selling it again...... the 4 stroke is a lot better on the suspension part for desert and climbing hills...... i have a YZ250F that i race desert and i love it...... but 2 strokes are still good for long hauls just eat up the gas a lot faster :smirk: and change the suspension and u should be good...... 4 strokes are good for slower mx tracks and 2 strokes are better for faster mx tracks

Modern 2-strokes handle just a well as the 4-strokes if not better due to the lighter weight and lower center of gravity. As for outlawing them that is just a myth and resale values of used 2-stroke have gone up in price within the last year, people are not in a rush to get a 4-stroke anymore.

2 strokes are good for long desert hauls.... but sck at hills..... and they are slowly outlawing 2 strokes so u dont to be stuck wit selling it again...... the 4 stroke is a lot better on the suspension part for desert and climbing hills...... i have a YZ250F that i race desert and i love it...... but 2 strokes are still good for long hauls just eat up the gas a lot faster :ride: and change the suspension and u should be good...... 4 strokes are good for slower mx tracks and 2 strokes are better for faster mx tracks

Outlawing 2strokes? :smirk:..... anyway, get a 250 2stroke they are very versatile machines. I don't think you'll get bored with one anytime soon.

I was your size when I switched from a 250 4-stroke to a 250 2-stroke and I was happy I made the move. The added power was nice but I just really enjoyed the 2-stroke and how nimble the bike was. Plus it was always running and not apart to mess with valves and shims. A 125 might be a little to small if you are doing desert stuff but they are fun on the track.

2 strokes are good for long desert hauls.... but suck at hills..... and they are slowly outlawing 2 strokes so u dont to be stuck wit selling it again...... the 4 stroke is a lot better on the suspension part for desert and climbing hills...... i have a YZ250F that i race desert and i love it...... but 2 strokes are still good for long hauls just eat up the gas a lot faster :smirk: and change the suspension and u should be good...... 4 strokes are good for slower mx tracks and 2 strokes are better for faster mx tracks

i love hill climbing with my 250 2stroke. hill climbing is my favorite part of riding. keep the back tire spinning and use weight placement to control traction. just like riding a chain saw:banana:

Certain bikes may be better at certain things, but I think there is little doubt that the 250/300 smoker is the most versatile performance bike you can by. It boggles the mind that the only KTM and Yamaha still import them, but I think that's going to change in the future. Smokers are super popular for offroad riding here in the SE, and somebody has to sell us new ones when our old ones wear out! KTM sells all the 300s they can make. Surely someone else will want to get in on that.

I just recently made the switch from an 08 YZ250F to my current 250SX for motocross (still had a 02 YZ134, but didnt ride it much). I had ridden a couple 250 two-strokes and a couple 450s, and decided on this. Im very happy with it! I havent had much chance to ride it since Im injured at the moment, but the bike is super light, handles well and has great power. It can be a handful at times!

I went from an 05 YZ250F to an 06 YZ250 over the summer.

I had some growing pains for sure! I was lazy from the 250F and didn't clutch the 250T up hills as a result. However I learned it. Once I did, i was good to go. It is a blast.

You'll love the power, and when you ride a 250F after riding the 250T (I still have my F bike) you'll wonder why you were riding that underpowered bike in the first place.

250 SMOKER!

I have been racing for 21 years and I have yet to find anything the smoker is not better at IF you know how to ride. I have owned 450F, 250 and all sizes of 2 strokes and the smokers are more fun, lighter faster, less money in upkeep... list goes on.

If you have more money than skill, and want to go semi fast quickly without dedicating the time or sweat to learn the right way, get a thumper. It's the 'magic pill' I'll give it that!