'06 TE610 shifting problems

After completing an 100 mi. ride to the Husky Monument without any problems I went out the next day to get gas and the bike will not go into 3rd gear or higher. 1st and 2nd OK but nothing else.:ride: I removed everything to get to the shifting mechanism including the clutch and am operating the shifting drum with a socket and t-handle. It will not go completly into second as you can see the shift pawl dose not go all the way into the groove on the shift drum. I've allready resigned myself to splitting the cases but I could use some advice.?

TIA

After completing an 100 mi. ride to the Husky Monument without any problems I went out the next day to get gas and the bike will not go into 3rd gear or higher. 1st and 2nd OK but nothing else.:ride: I removed everything to get to the shifting mechanism including the clutch and am operating the shifting drum with a socket and t-handle. It will not go completly into second as you can see the shift pawl dose not go all the way into the groove on the shift drum. I've allready resigned myself to splitting the cases but I could use some advice.?

TIA

It could be a bent shift fork, Have you crashed on the shifter side Lately?

I know what it is......my 08 SM 610 was doing the exact same thing. I don't think its that uncommon either.

My dealer removed the left side cover and removed all the exterior shift pieces/pawl etc and deburred/polished them........he said it is actually hard to see the problem........transformed that gearbox......

I know what it is......my 08 SM 610 was doing the exact same thing. I don't think its that uncommon either.

My dealer removed the left side cover and removed all the exterior shift pieces/pawl etc and deburred/polished them........he said it is actually hard to see the problem........transformed that gearbox......

Thank you. You are the 2nd person who has suggested that! Unfortunately I had it apart and couldn't see anything so I put it back together with no success so I guess I will try again.

• 1 year later...
It's often a nightmare to find neutral on my 610... Other than that, it shifts ok. Not great, but ok. About 2200 miles on the bike.

If you're at a complete standstill with the motor running, forget about it.

When approaching a stoplight I'll downshift into neutral by lightly tapping

the lever from second. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's figured that one out.

Quality synthetic oil seems to make shifting smoother, imo.

I would post on AdvRider.com I think there are many more 610 owners lurking there.

Thanks Jerry but this was the problem that caused me to ride my KLX250S on last years China Lake ride. Don't tell anybody on this forum but that was the most fun I had in years. ?

Polishing the shifting mechanism solved the problem.

If you're at a complete standstill with the motor running, forget about it.

When approaching a stoplight I'll downshift into neutral by lightly tapping

the lever from second. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's figured that one out.

Quality synthetic oil seems to make shifting smoother, imo.

I can see having problems clicking through multiple gears to get to neutral, but one click?

Not that my frustration or disappointment will make my tranny suddenly work right...

I can see having problems clicking through multiple gears to get to neutral, but one click?

Not that my frustration or disappointment will make my tranny suddenly work right...

my take on that is that it's a dirt bike gearbox, but a very small gap for neutral,

imagine going up a VERY steep rocky trail , and needing to downshift..,

you don't want to end up in neutral then.

MY 410 - same model..- was the same,

I am used to dirtbikes and never had an issue, my friends who rode street bikes could not get used to it,

as stated you will not find neutral when the shafts are stationary ,

go for neutral as you are coasting to a stop,

works every time.

Charlie

I can find neutral when stopped at the lights by slightly leaning forward while on the front brake. Easy for me.

My problem is the clunking when down shifting. It's not an oil issue, i'm thinking selector or something???