Sign in to follow this  

Husky TXC parts

Any feedback on what kind of jetting is working best for the TXC models out west? Lucky that it's easy to access the carb on the new bikes.

Asking about jetting is like talking religion or politics in a bar...

In stock form, the carb has a plug for the leak jet - so you get alot of fuel flow from the accelerator pump. This leads to a pop and stall situation in the tight stuff and a lag when you roll it on quickly in more aggressive situations.

Les Tinius, of LT-Racing suspension, has a TXC510 in his garage. He dialed in the jetting by simply going to a 35 leak jet and delaying the accelerator pump on the carb. He removed the spring on the Accel pump adjuster and installed a spacer in it's place so that he could delay it further.

The result is lots of control down low and it "gets up and goes" when you "tip into" the accelerator pump. Fuel economy was also improved.

jeff

In stock form, the carb has a plug for the leak jet - so you get alot of fuel flow from the accelerator pump. This leads to a pop and stall situation in the tight stuff and a lag when you roll it on quickly in more aggressive situations.

Les Tinius, of LT-Racing suspension, has a TXC510 in his garage. He dialed in the jetting by simply going to a 35 leak jet and delaying the accelerator pump on the carb. He removed the spring on the Accel pump adjuster and installed a spacer in it's place so that he could delay it further.

The result is lots of control down low and it "gets up and goes" when you "tip into" the accelerator pump. Fuel economy was also improved.

jeff

I'm a bit confused by the spacer thing. Is the spacer giving the opposite effect as an O-ring on the pump linkages? (i.e. delaying the accelerator "squirt" even more?)

I just finished the first ride on the new bike and wow, new bikes feel so good.. Anyway, sounds like I will change out to the 35. The jetting now was bogging and stalling in the tight twisty stuff and the sudden turns.

Yeah, jetting is the never-ending of what's right and what works. It's a start though and gives some good ideas.

I'm a bit confused by the spacer thing. Is the spacer giving the opposite effect as an O-ring on the pump linkages? (i.e. delaying the accelerator "squirt" even more?)

He set it up so that it "tips into" the accelerator pump at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle when you are coming up on RPM.

And note that aftermarket jetting kits that use an o-ring also supply a 70 leak jet versus the 35 leak jet that Les used. The leak jet bleeds fuel off from the accelerator pump circuit back into the bowl - so the smaller the leak jet the more fuel is delivered by the accel pump. Note that the relationship isn't linear - compared to a 35, a 70 leak jet results in *much* more fuel bled back into the bowl and *much* less fuel delivered to the accel pump.

And by the way, Les is a Honda Factory Trained Master Tech with over 30 years experience. So he does know what he is doing...

I asked him to put some pics and a description up on his website at www.lt-racing.com. He finally got it updated and is making some additions to it...

Jeff

Edited by oregon_rider

... The jetting now was bogging and stalling in the tight twisty stuff and the sudden turns....

Exactly - the accelerator pump is supplying too much fuel when you try to dial in a slight amount of throttle causing the bog and stall you describe; It is also supplying more than it needs in other situations. Going to a 35 leak jet and delaying the accelerator pump will resolve this issue - everything else is good as it is (pilot,main, needle, etc.)...

If you want more detail you can call Les at his shop - he is very well known in the gasgas/husky community for his suspension work. His website is at www.lt-racing.com.

jeff

Edited by oregon_rider

Greetings,

Just purchased an '09 TXC 510! I phoned Les per your recommendation. Very nice gentleman. Explained the whole leak jet proceedure to me, but guess I should ride the bike first to see what I think! Funny thing is, I also have an '07 TC 450 and have never had bog issues, even though I have played with the main & pilot jets on occassion (when switching pipes). So what gives with this TXC bike and the leak jet/accelerator pump? Never heard anything, or no changes seemed to be needed for my '07 TC with the same regard.

Les said, that by not going to the 35 leak jet with the spacer deal (basically use tight-fitting fuel line as the spacer on the accelerator pump screw by screwing in the screw all the way till the spring bottoms, measure the spring length at that point and cut some tubing half-a-mm shorter than the spring length. So if the spring is 5mm long, cut the tubing at 4.5mm. Then replace the spring with the tube and screw back into the accelerator pump snug, according to Les)...and switching to a leaner leak jet (like the 65 said used above, you are basically rendering the accelerator pump non-functional, or are shutting it off; even if it does rid the bike of its/this issue.

One thing for certain, this is the most difficult bike I have ever dealt with for accessing the carb with the exhaust on the left side, and some of you say it easy to work on? Any suggestions for best way to access the carb and the bowl?? I wound up removing the carb from the front and rear boots and accessing from the right side, but from factory the carb hoses were bound so tight down through the radiator over-flow bottle and the swingarm that I had a difficult time, to say the least.

My third Husqvarna ('04 TC 450 and then these two) and I love 'em, even though my friends always ask me why Husky, lol! I guess if they don't get it, they never will. Funny thing is, after these last two TC's, I thought I wanted to go Japanese again and fuel-injection so I bought an '08 RMZ 450 for the right price. Two rides and still not sure it is for me. These Huskys simply offer something different and unique! Maybe the Suzuki is just so different that had I gotten a CRF or something I wouldn't have noticed as much of a difference? Anyway, for anyone who has an '04 Husky and that rotten Mikuni carb, sending mine off to Hall's made all the difference in the World! I'm sure Les at LT-Racing can remedy all the same cures and more, so I would at least contact him first here in the west. I know they modded the accel pump, switched out needles and increased the float bowl bolt to one that hung lower so the float bowl was able to hold more fuel. I should have never gotten rid of the girl - had it SO dialed and it performed like it too, even with the heavy weight it carried around!

Photos of bikes below:

Signed,

Jefferson Jenkins

Owner, Huck-n-Finns Sports Bistro

Emmett/Boise, IDAHO

GO VANDALS!!

04realnewrtside.jpg

04phase2.jpg

04finalphase.jpg

07noshrouds.jpg

07blueshrouds.jpg

Sazookrtside.jpg

Edited by hucknfinns

Yeah I put a 65 leak jet in mine and it totally got rid of the pop stall. Problem solved.

As the previous post states - using a 65 or 70 leak jet drastically reduces the fuel delivered by the accelerator pump - almost all fuel is bled back to the carb.

You can get much better throttle response and acceleration by using a smaller leak jet (35/40) and delaying the accelerator pump as very articulately outlined in the previous post by Jefferson...

jeff

jeff

Your right Jeff, this is just brain storming with no real outcome of which way will work.:excuseme:

My LBS is claiming something different, but he's not a Husky dealer either. He's just been wrenching for 20+ years so I will have to work with him. Getting to the bottom of this will only lead me to my next hurdle for owning a Husky, a BIGGER tank that will work with a SCOTTS stabilizer!........then never ending saga.

Your right Jeff, this is just brain storming with no real outcome of which way will work.:excuseme:

My LBS is claiming something different, but he's not a Husky dealer either. He's just been wrenching for 20+ years so I will have to work with him. Getting to the bottom of this will only lead me to my next hurdle for owning a Husky, a BIGGER tank that will work with a SCOTTS stabilizer!........then never ending saga.

Sorry if I sound like "my mechanic is bigger than your mechanic"..

But, I am not just brain storming. I am conveying how one TXC510 was jetted to work very, very well. The tuning on this bike was performed by a Factory Trained Honda Master Tech with over 30 years experience. Look here for Les' full qualifications :

http://www.lt-racing.com/html/about_ltr.html

A leak jet costs around $10 - it's pretty inexpensive to give it a try and see how simply going to a 35 leak jet and delaying the Accel Pump (AP) works for you.

jeff

Edited by oregon_rider