Sign in to follow this  

EFI owners, bike bogging? "The fix" with pics

This is my own personal experience I wish to share with everyone, in hopes that it will bring some attention to bogging/hesitation problems with EFI bikes, and save people time, money, and aggervation.

A fuel pump is nothing more then a simple electrical motor. in MOST cases, it either works, or it doesnt. Think about cars, when their fuel pumps 'go-out', your done. car\truck doesnt run. so why is it that when bike owners who have efi equipped machines have bog issues, they replace the fuel pump? well in most cases their problems are solved, bike runs fine; but, what if I told you that the pump isnt actually the cause, what if i said its dirty fuel that is clogging the very fine fuel pump filter in the tank? Removing and cleaning, or replacing the filter will usually do the trick but what does that say about the fuel your putting in your tank to start with?

Pro-fill, a company out of Australia has developed a simple method in which to filter that fuel. A small round piece of plastic that has a tapered edge to rest on the top of your gas tank opening with a mesh filter attached to it. That's it, no moving parts, no trick installation, just set it under the gas cap and go. The filter is made out of 100% nylon and is completely gas-proof.

packaging.jpg

Since using this product we (me and 2 other '09 owners) have had zero problems with our efi equipped crf450r's. Previously we had the filter clogged twice in 60 hours of usage. The Pro-fill filter displaces less then 5ml of fuel and is easily removable at any time for any reason. You can also wash the filter with water and soap when it starts to catch debris, like ours has already. A light brown color has set into our filter, and we have found plenty of small debris inside the filters from what we thought was 'clean' gas. We even bought a new gas jug and still found debris in our filters. The only downfall with this product, is that refueling takes a little longer due to the gasoline being filtered as it enters the gas tank.

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

step3.jpg

step4.jpg

step5.jpg

Now before installing this new filter, we pulled the pump from the bike and cleaned the pump's inline filter. Simply remove the seat, lower radiator shroud bolts, then you need to drain the fuel from your bike or pinch off the breather tube on the gas cap. Make sure to remove all electrical connectors and tether cords. There are 6 bolts that hold the pump in the bottom of the tank, remove the bolts and the pump will come right out. It should look like this.

pump.jpg

The filter is inside the pump assembly at the bottom so you will have to separate the pump from the bracket. Disconnect the ground(black) and power(red) wire first. Then there are 3 snap connectors that you need to push in on the bracket, while pulling the two pieces apart. Once they are apart you will see the filter at the bottom of the pump. You will need to apply some pressure and rotate clockwise to release the hook that holds the filter in place.

seperate the base...

pumptabs.jpg

seperated..

pumpapartfilteratbottomright.jpg

hook holding filter, rotate clockwise to twise off...

filter.jpg

Now that you have the filter separated you replace it with an OEM part from your local dealer, or try cleaning your current filter. We soaked the filter in a cup of carb cleaner while gently massaging the debris from the filter.

filter1.jpg

We finished the process by blowing compressed air backwards through the filter. You never want to clean ANY filter (air, oil, gas) on anything in the direction in which the flow is. You can push small particles of contaminants farther into the filter and thus giving them a better chance of getting into your engine. Once the filter is completely dried you can re-install it and the pump assembly. always run a few test laps snapping the throttle and working the bike to see if it bogs or hesitates. If it does at any point at normal operating temperatures, disassemble and go through the filter again. I suggest replacing it with a new one but in a jam, this will work if it is cleaned well.

**note- I found that having extra fuel pump gaskets (o-rings on crf450r) on hand prior to doing this was a big help. The o-rings are rubber crush rings and are not meant to be re-used. they stretch and will normally leak if you try to re-use them**

honda fuel pump filter part#-

06160-MEN-A30

honda o-ring part#-

16711-MEN-A30

16712-MEN-A30

pro fill's site

http://www.profill-australia.com/store.html

Hopefully this will help out some of the EFI owners that are having problems with their bikes. Filters are much cheaper then pumps.

Edited by mx_racer32
  • Like 2

Great post, I've had to clean both of my bikes. To all injected owners, if you start loosing power at all this is the first thing to do. Where did you get it ?

:smirk::worthy::ride:

CRF'S ONLY sells a similar filter that I've been using with good results so far for about 30 bucks. For me it seems like a good thing to do. Thumbs up!

CRF'S ONLY sells a similar filter that I've been using with good results so far for about 30 bucks. For me it seems like a good thing to do. Thumbs up!

not similar, it's the same :smirk:

I updated the original post with the honda part numbers for the o-ring gaskets for the pump, i know the part# for the honda filter is floating around, i just couldnt find it right now. also posted up profill's website. as some stated i guess crf's only has it too. i think i paid around $42 for both of mine with shipping from profill. hopefully someone will make this a sticky. no need to spend 200 bucks on a pump.

I think the problem with the fuel injection system is the twelve hole injector. The small orifice size causes to have to filter the fuel to a small micron rating. Does anyone know the rating on fuel pump filter ?Maybe they should go to the 2 hole system used on smaller PGM systems. They might sacrifice atomization but they should not have to filter the fuel as much.

Thanks. I did not know these exisited. Just ordered one for mine.

I have had those filters for 4 monthe now and they work great, the only problem is that now the filter is stuck to the filler cap every time I try to fillup and it is a bitch to get loose.

does anyone have the part number for the OEM honda pump filter?

The part number for the oem fuel filter is 06160-MEN-A30.

Thanks for reminding me to order one

Edit: what do you guys think about the cv4 fuel Kool tank heat wrap? Is keeping the heat away from your tank really that important?

• Like 1

Changing mine out now... after i was unable to finish the last WORCS race and had all kinds of trouble during the first one. Guess no one to blame but me for putting this off.

Ridiculous how dirty mine was. Will post pics soon as i'm done.

Where exactly does the mid sized oring go? Have the small one and the one for the tank in place.

Changing mine out now... after i was unable to finish the last WORCS race and had all kinds of trouble during the first one. Guess no one to blame but me for putting this off.

Ridiculous how dirty mine was. Will post pics soon as i'm done.

Where exactly does the mid sized oring go? Have the small one and the one for the tank in place.