DRZ 125 Conversion Complete (Almost)

Thought I would share some pics of what you guys helped me build. A couple of things that may differ are the frame, the rear hub, swing arm, and then some. I used a '98 RM 125 rear hub (it's smaller than the '99 and newer) laced to a BBR 16" rear wheel with Buchanan heavy duty spokes. Therefore I had to go with the 520 chain, but the SP's and DR's have 520 chains, so there's plenty of sprocket selection for the front and RM's for the rear. Instead of having the wheel 3/4" offset, I widened the KX100 swing arm. I used a Yamaha rear axle bolt that was the same size as the KX's, but longer, and made a sleeve out of the RM axle bolt. The I.D. of the hole in the bolt is the same as the O.D. of the KX axle bolt. I chopped the frame from just below the swingarm bolt to below the fork neck; put on a 1 1/4" squaretube from the neck, chopped up an RM85 frame for the cradle, and the curve below the swingarm bolt (also had to be widened to the DRZ width. This got rid of the strange peg mount set up, but also required a different Kick lever (went with the DS80 kick lever mounted on the DRZ125 kick lever clamp) Changing the lower section of the frame, I welded tabs were all of the KX100 linkage could be used. A CR85 shock was used, but I raised the upper shock mount 3/4 inch (gave clearance between the reservoir and the pipe), and still had to shorten the lower fork of the shock (which I learned how to do from you guys). I used CRF450 master cyclinders on the front and rear (since my grown-up bike is a CRF450, I had extras). I fab'd a rear brake lever that routes behind the kick lever, but goes over the peg. This thing stops on a dime. For the motor, just went the easy route with the 150 kit, Hotcams cam, larger carb, larger valves from Procycle and had them shave the flywheel.

It sounds like the long way around to get to the same place, but it sure the hell was funny doing it. I'm not a motor guy, but I like to create stuff and own a welding machine and a grinder!!

Now I hope to figure out this rod and piston thing. For now, I've learned from the postings here, that maybe the Webcams or Megacams LT 230 cam is the way to go. This bike has a lot of pep until midrange, then the fun stops abruptly. That's why it's "almost" finished. I don't know that any project ever stops; they just evolve.

Thanks for all the info you guys post. If anyone wants to know more about what I did here, let me know, I took photos throughout the cutting, fitting and welding. I have more pics on photobucket:

DRZ125

DRZ125 Project 001.jpg

DRZ125 Project 003.jpg

DRZ125 Project 004.jpg

DRZ125 Project 005.jpg

DRZ125 Project 007.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a few more pics I already have save on my computer. I have more pics I can post later of specific parts I changed/modified. I haven't brought the brake, kick, shift levers or the linkage to the powder coater yet, so as I take stuff apart again, I'll take more pics.

I've had some questions about the brakes and rear brake lever. The lever had to be made to go over the peg and behind the kick lever because of the way the motor is made. I made a mock-up out of aluminum plate because it can be easily bent. Once I had it right I made the lever out of steel plate and a piece of steel tubing with the correct I.D. for the sock lever bolt. The kick lever was also changed to a shorter DS80 lever, mounted on the stock lever clamp. Check out the link for more photos. When I take the lever off to go to the powdercoater, I'll take some close-ups of the lever.

http://s775.photobucket.com/albums/yy38/sanchesc/DRZ125%20LEVERS%20AND%20%20BRAKES/

Edited by ridnred812

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've had this bike running great and it's fun to ride, so that means it's time to mess with it again. I've read everything on this site about cams and as soon as I've found an opinion on a cam that sounds like the way to go, a few posts later, that same person has gone to a different cam. I currently have the Hotcams Stage 1 cam. Based on what I've seen on this site, I think I've narrowed it down to a Webcam 213 or a Megacam 393. Anyone have any other info I should consider?

PS. I have 150 kit, Procycle larger valves and carb. Not making any ignition changes.

Thanks! Steal away. That's how I learned all that I know about this bike; right here on this forum. Let me know if you have any questions.

After re-reading the cam thread, I went with the Webcams 213. Should be on by Friday. Can't wait to see what more I can get out of this motor!

Hey Tom, I got the cam in and did 30 minutes of easy riding to break it in. Once I got into the gas a bit, it's obvious that the carb is not keeping up with the new cams appetite. Where should I start? The throttle screw, raising the needle, or go straight to jetting?

• 6 years later...
On 9/28/2011 at 8:41 AM, ridnred812 said:

Thanks! Steal away. That's how I learned all that I know about this bike; right here on this forum. Let me know if you have any questions.

After re-reading the cam thread, I went with the Webcams 213. Should be on by Friday. Can't wait to see what more I can get out of this motor!

Are you still around?????