looking for some help/input on bars and selection

i'm not sure if this has been covered before but this is my first time ever messing with handle bars. in the past i have always just adjusted to and rode the bike the way i have bought it. this is no longer working for me.

while standing up it is very uncomfortable for me to ride especially after a couple of hours in the saddle. i am very bent over while standing.

i tried reviewing bike specifications from 07 online to find the pro taper "contour" bend/ height that comes on a stock 450 w/no luck with that so i proceeded to the pro taper site. from what i can tell:

stock is a yz hi width800mm, height 84, pull back 52

if this is not true please let me know.

which brings me to my next question

are all contour bars the same diameter where the bar clamps mount to the bars at?

next

i was looking at windham bars or the kx hi i'm 6'3".

windhams are 800/99/54

ks hi's are 800/106/56

what are you guys using that are similar in height to me? would the kx hi bars be way to much or not?

i ride the woods tight stuff, open roads and the dunes.

also the higher the bar would you want more of a pull back like say in the 60mm range?

thanks for all your help i just wanna be sure before i dump some money into a bar and not have it feel right or be way off from what i want.

:smirk:

edit: one more thing are the stock bars platinum grey or silver?

Edited by STROKEDIESEL

I am 6' 2" and used to run the Pastrana FMX bars because they were the tallest available. The height was nice but the pullback and sweep was too weird for me...they were angled back and up too much and put my hands/wrist in a strange position.

On Gray's recommendation I tried the Windham bend bars and fell in love. Not quite as tall as the Pastrana FMX but the angle and sweep was much better for me.

My son who is 6' 5" was running the KX High on his YZ250 and liked them (I did also) but when he finally bent them he replaced them with the Windhams because he liked the way mine felt.

great advice so far thank you for the input.

anyone else? you all cant still be riding with the stock bars on are you?

I run the Pastrana FMX and love em'......i'm 6'2''

I run the Patrana FMX as well, I'm 6'5"

I'm 5'11 and I run low bars but the thing about my bars that you would like is there is very little sweep to them and it helps draw you into the attack position. So I suggest you get the tallest bar for you with minimal sweep.

I run Windham bends with 10mm risers under the factory bar clamps on my 06 and love it. You should come over and ride with me, you can test 'em out and see what you think :smirk:

Per the recomendation of Grayracer and a few others, Winham bend here.

I also lowered my footpegs.

Im a shorter guy 5'8" and have henry/reeds with risers on my 05 and feel they're too tall. Would pastrana MXs be a good choice? I would like to stay with fat bars. thanks, not trying to jack the thread.

Unless your risers are there to permit 1 1/8 bars, I'd remove them.

Pastrana MX (RM Low) bars are 74mm high, YZ High is 84, Henry's are 92.

yes the risers are there to permit 1 1/8" bars.

I was thinking with the math I was doing that my current bar height is 111 mm, the pastranas would put me at 93, while carmichaels would put me at 96.

I'm looking to get close to the windham height, maybe a bit lower, so the carmichaels look like a better choice.

just ordered some windhams the other day. hopefully they will be getting delivered to the house soon! i'll post what i think about them once i pull back in from this deployment.

I am 6'2 and run the carmichael bend bars. Which are low and very very little sweep. I like them because tall bars put your elbows in a bad position when cornering. If low bars are uncomfortable when standing, then bend at the waist more.

I am 6'2 and run the carmichael bend bars. Which are low and very very little sweep. I like them because tall bars put your elbows in a bad position when cornering. If low bars are uncomfortable when standing, then bend at the waist more.

Why would anyone want to bend at the waist more? That's why we want taller bars, so we don't hunch over the whole time.

Why would anyone want to bend at the waist more? That's why we want taller bars, so we don't hunch over the whole time.

Because I feel that tall bars hurts cornering a lot. I would rather bend at the waist a little more than having trouble hitting corners.

I have noticed a trend with bar bends, most of the time the faster guys run low bend bars to help with cornering and the slower guys run the bars up high. I don't know why it's like that, but next time you go to the track look at a fast guys bike set up and most liklely he will have low bars.

Different strokes for different folks. I cannot ride fast unless I'm comfortable. Bending over the whole time while standing because the bars are so short, drains too much energy. I need very little sweep and taller bars and I need the bars to stand vertical in the bar clamps. Anything else I feel uncomfortable and sketchy.

Different strokes for different folks. I cannot ride fast unless I'm comfortable. Bending over the whole time while standing because the bars are so short, drains too much energy. I need very little sweep and taller bars and I need the bars to stand vertical in the bar clamps. Anything else I feel uncomfortable and sketchy.
As a desert racer, it's much more important to have a set up on which I can stand for the bulk of two hours without using any more energy than necessary, and a taller bar with a more forward position fills that need. It's a matter of style, but I disagree with you on cornering, too. I'm much happier with a taller bend as it helps keep my elbows down, where I think they belong. You don't see too many fast speedway, flat track, or TT riders with their elbows up like spider legs.
As a desert racer, it's much more important to have a set up on which I can stand for the bulk of two hours without using any more energy than necessary, and a taller bar with a more forward position fills that need. It's a matter of style, but I disagree with you on cornering, too. I'm much happier with a taller bend as it helps keep my elbows down, where I think they belong. You don't see too many fast speedway, flat track, or TT riders with their elbows up like spider legs.

Well if I was running desert or woods then yea I would have to have tall bars. But for MX low bars are the way to go, and I guess I have been riding the wrong way all these years. I can't believe how big of a goon I am for riding with my elbows up:bonk:

First, no one said you were a goon, only that there was a reason to disagree with you. Second, not everyone agrees with your assessment of bar height even within the MX world. MXA has regularly criticized the YZF as having too low a bar bend, and more or less their whole staff agrees with that. Myself and a number of others find that cornering with the elbows down allows more steering control and more leverage than having them up.