The Eddie Mod - not the Taffy Mod

In the past few weeks we've had a couple of threads on how to deal with bogging in the slant body FCR. The Taffy Mod WAS the way to address this problem but this old man is saying that is now history. These two threads (to my knowledge) introduced The Eddie Mod. They are complete with pictures so there's no sense in my adding identical pix.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832902

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846960

I needed to change jets from high altitude (7500' and up) to 600' so took the opportunity to do the Eddie Mod: 1) shortened the AP diaphram stopper, 2) wired the linkage, and 3) spread the metal arms until the linkage worked smoothly. Finished this morning and promptly took it out to see if it really worked. Long story short, my '03 GreenE has NEVER performed so well since I bought it almost 3 years ago. Every time I twisted the throttle seriously the front came up like it should, reliably and consistently. Instead of bogs I got lifts. I've never been able to get the front end up reliably before. I'm totally stoked.

So, if you've got a slant body and are having bogging problems when you yank on the throttle, forget the Taffy Mod. It's a waste of time. Instead, follow the two threads above and do The Eddie Mod.

As we all already knew, THAT MAN KNOWS HIS STUFF!

Thanks, Eddie. You are outasight. ?

I can't wait to inspect my FCR for wear on the plastic pump actuator arm -- if there is wear, I'm planning to make a small brass bushing to prevent future wear. This could be the answer to one of the tuning problems I've had with my 39.

It's so easy to overlook such a small detail, but it clearly has a big effect on the AP squirt timing, which has a HUGE effect on throttle response. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and showing us the way to fix the problems.

Eddie, you ROCK!

• 3 months later...

did the eddie mod to my ktm today. works great! i did manage to nick the part of the 2 springs that are on the ap assembly with my dremmel ( making a notch to secure the wire) however , if i am correct you dont even need the spring now since the ap arm movement is wrist powered now right? before wiring( after cutting the diaphram) the duration became looonnngggg. once wired together its quick and powerful. i guess the spring isnt even doing anything now.

did the eddie mod to my ktm today. works great! i did manage to nick the part of the 2 springs that are on the ap assembly with my dremmel ( making a notch to secure the wire) however , if i am correct you dont even need the spring now since the ap arm movement is wrist powered now right? before wiring( after cutting the diaphram) the duration became looonnngggg. once wired together its quick and powerful. i guess the spring isnt even doing anything now.

why where you near the spring with a dremel?

all the springs need to be intact.