Clutchless shifting vs Powershifting?

eheh... uhuh... you guys said "tranny" ...uuuuuuhuh....

For up shifts, I keep the throttle wide open, and stab the clutch once, while shifting

When I up shift while in the air, I don't use the clutch because I almost always have the throttle closed while in the air. I don't use the clutch for down shifts, either, because I usually have the throttle closed while I'm braking.

My 01 CR250 sounds like a pissed bumblebee with the full on power shift! Leave 'er on the pin and start clutchin and bangin gears! No 4t sounds that good!

i cant believe you guys do this no clutch shifting crap!!! Are you really that lazy, or do you just like smoking ur clutches??? There is a reason a clutch is on your bike, and its not just for getting out of neutral, blieve it or not!!!

Not to be a hater but have you ever raced? A mix between not having the time or energy makes this a good option plus ive never heard of anybody blowing up a tranny

i dont even race (yet) and i shift full throttle clutchless uphills all the time(im on a 125 though, i have too)

I usually shift without closing the throttle and dabbing the clutch real quick in a race. When im tired though i just chop the throttle and shift. No clutch downshifting either

I never shift on the throttle clutchless, i have to put A LOT of pressure on the shifter, which doesnt make me feel good about the tranny

Not to be a hater but have you ever raced? A mix between not having the time or energy makes this a good option plus ive never heard of anybody blowing up a tranny

Well I've owned 2 bieks with blown 2nd gears, and my current street bike has no 2nd or 4th from clutchless shifts

I do agree though, for racing like I said, clutchless shifting I can see

But you can't clutchless shift 100% perfect EVERY SINGLE time, and you will round off gears anytime you miss a gear or force it into gear, and trannys will take damage unless you don't put a whole lot of hours onto them.

And by a whole lot of hours, I'm talking about hundreds of hours over years time. Sure you won't blow a tranny out in 200 hours most likely. But what about on a 15 year old bike you always clutchless full throttle shift??

Also everyone argues, but hell, some people clutchless down shift, some people let off the throttle on upshifts, and some people just wide open shift with no clutch. Are all these methods right? Because I've heard from countless people "down shifting is the worst thing to do with no clutch" or "clutchless shifting is fine as long as you chop the throttle"

So what is REALLY the proper technique?

Well - directly from Gary Semics MX tips section...

#4 You do not need to use the clutch when you down shift.

Some inexperienced riders use the clutch to downshift and then just hold it in while they brake the rest of the way into the corner. Using the clutch to downshift is not necessary and it brakes up the steadiness of braking with the help of the engine's backpressure.

It is necessary to use the clutch when you up shift because the transmission has torque on the gears from the power of the engine. But, there is very little torque on the gears when the throttle is off and you’re slowing down. So, leave that low end lever (the clutch) out when you’re down shifting and braking for a corner.

Well - directly from Gary Semics MX tips section...

It is necessary to use the clutch when you up shift because the transmission has torque on the gears from the power of the engine.

he can't really mean that (or its taken out of context) since there is no torque on the gears when you upshift without the clutch in the following situations:

you roll the throttle off slightly (just before you shift without the clutch) so there is no engine drag and no engine pull.

like the whole world does this !

sic...

Full throttle upshifts with no clutch. Everytime, every bike, never had a problem. Who races and doesn't do this? Listen to racers at the start. Only beginners let off the gas, pull in the clutch, shift the gear, then get back on the gas. You wont hear the fast guys even shift.

I and my brothers have been racing for thirty years and everyone we know and ride with shifts this way.

pretty much anyone who is fast does not let off the gas I do both but i always have 1 finger on the clutch (125) so I just pull it in just a bit while still pinned and shift on my friends 250f's i just never let go of the throttle and never touch the clutch

Welllllllll, when I upshift when accelerating hard I don't touch the clutch, and I barely let off the throttle - all goes really smooth with no crunching or anything. Doesn't the torque start to tail off a bit at the point you need to change gear reducing the load on the gearbox anyway? It's changing down that I often prefer to use the clutch unless I'm braking hard otherwise the gears are having being changed under a lot of pressure because of the momentum of the bike and me.

For normal trail riding and pottering about on the road then I do use the clutch.

not a good idea

Edited by MIKE ANIMAL
not a good idea

Yeah but it's always really smooth and quiet, and there's never any bits in the oil to indicate a problem. Going through it again in my head, I think I do roll off throttle slightly when changing without thinking about it. Maybe that's why it's ok?

Nothing conclusive then...to say that considerate upshifting with no clutch and no pressure exerted on the box is going to bend anything?

Nothing conclusive then...to say that considerate upshifting with no clutch and no pressure exerted on the box is going to bend anything?
i guss you missed the post on top of yours.
80% of all transmission failure is do to shifting with no clutch.

instant transmission death: do a nice easy shift with the clutch, accidentally catch a false neutral and the free engine spins to a zillion rpm, said spode then pulls up on the shifter again (without pulling in the clutch again or even letting the motor spin down) and the resulting gear-clash impact can be heard 3 counties away !

the above is the ONLY shift you ever have to worry about. and lending your bike to your "slower than dirt" beginner friend is the easiest way to watch your new bike destroyed in 2 minutes flat.

there is nothing else to worry about when shifting your bike. :excuseme:

Sic...

i guss you missed the post on top of yours.

Nah, I did see the post and I read all three threads....and decided there was nothing conclusive to suggest that clutchless shifting done without forcing anything is a problem.

I always down shift with my clutch, just cause sometimes I need to jump right to first or second and tapping it rapidly without holding the clutch never works for me.

Upshifting isn't a problem without the clutch, like the others say you must match the rpms or it WILL NOT go into gear. It'll feel like it's stuck, but as soon as the right rpm hits it'll shift like as if you were holding in the clutch.

As far as smoking your clutch, I just can't see this happening. If anything you'd wear your clutch more by using it, as when you dis-engage it and re-engage it your having more "rubbing" time for the plates, but when you shift without it goes into gear immediatly and there is very little rubbing time, just instant grabbing.

my nephew has a severe neck injurie from doing this he herd it will make him faster in a corner. he read this in a chat or form on dirt rider magazine chat room he may never walk agin. his traney locked up in the air on a 65 foot double when he shifted up to get ready for the next jump as soon as he shifted up with no clutch he said the bike died and the front of the bike droped. he is 14 years old. and may never walk agin. all this from some one telling him it will make him faster. kids thes days dont here the strategy behind this all they here is faster. my nephew crash happend 21 or 22 last sunday. and i took a bad one in 99. from the traney locking up. on a used race bike. also posted on this thread i think. and if not it will be.