Sign in to follow this  

19 foot tandem axle travel trailer

Just like the title say me and my brother went in and bought one and got a hell of a deal due to the economy.

My truck is an 07 four door 6.0L gas motor, 4spd trans, 2wd with 8k on the odometer, towing package and pulling this trailer with a quad and two dirt bike in the bed and I averaged 15mpg round trip.

Bro truck is a 04 chevy four door diesel, 2wd with 65k on the odometer pulling the same trailer with nothing in the bed and he got 11.5 mpg

We both went to the same destination at separate times with the trailer loaded with everything for a 3 day trip. So my question is what is all the hype with a diesel truck? Service intervals are the same for both truck, my truck was 15k less than his and repairs are less. I will stick with the gas truck as overall seems to be a better buy than his.

I also pulled a 31foot toyhauler trippple axle trailer loaded to the gills from So. Cal. to Northern Arizona for a friend who was moving and got 10.9mpg with my 6.0L gas motor and the guy who I was helping said he got 8mpg pulling with his Chevy Diesel Truck. He was pulling a trailer loaded up with all his house stuff and got 8mpg. I still think my truck is a better buy.

Edited by DIRTEE1

When your truck hits 150,000 miles it will be tired and need to be replaced. Your brothers truck will just be getting broken in at 150,000 miles! In addition to the ability to pull much heavier loads, the longevity needs to be factored in when making a decision to go with a diesel.

I dont see how you can say a diesel last long as my last GAS motor had 235k on the odometer and still passed california smog and I only got ride of it cause everything else on the truck fell apart from around the motor and I have yet to see anyone else keep a truck for that many miles diesel or gas. My last truck only broke down once and that was due to fuel pumps going out. My new truck will out last my brothers as I only put 4k miles a year on it and he averages 16k a year.

I have had the exact opposite experience. I have 2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4 crewcab and pulling my 23 ft travel trailer with a quad in the back of the truck I get about 16mpg with cruise set at 60MPH. My friend has a 2008 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 extended cab with the 6.0L and gets about 11mpg pulling his 25 ft with no quad doing the same speed.

One explanation could be that your brother and friend drive faster while towing, so they get worse gas mileage. I really don't see a 6.0L Chevy getting better mileage than a Chevy Diesel while towing a large toyhauler.

The proof is in the mpg numbers. While pulling my friend toyhauler to Arizona for him I fallowed him and we did 65mph the whole way. :excuseme:

Yeah, I'm coming up a little short on this too. I know my gf's uncle gets about 12 in his 3500 chevy duramax with a 6000# gooseneck and a 10,000# pullin tractor. Her dad has a 3500 Chevy with a 454 gas motor. Now we took that to a pull once with the same trailer and tractor and he was gettin about 8.

Just like the title say me and my brother went in and bought one and got a hell of a deal due to the economy.

My truck is an 07 four door 6.0L gas motor, 4spd trans, 2wd with 8k on the odometer, towing package and pulling this trailer with a quad and two dirt bike in the bed and I averaged 15mpg round trip.

Bro truck is a 04 chevy four door diesel, 2wd with 65k on the odometer pulling the same trailer with nothing in the bed and he got 11.5 mpg

We both went to the same destination at separate times with the trailer loaded with everything for a 3 day trip. So my question is what is all the hype with a diesel truck? Service intervals are the same for both truck, my truck was 15k less than his and repairs are less. I will stick with the gas truck as overall seems to be a better buy than his.

I also pulled a 31foot toyhauler trippple axle trailer loaded to the gills from So. Cal. to Northern Arizona for a friend who was moving and got 10.9mpg with my 6.0L gas motor and the guy who I was helping said he got 8mpg pulling with his Chevy Diesel Truck. He was pulling a trailer loaded up with all his house stuff and got 8mpg. I still think my truck is a better buy.

You mentioned nothing of wind speed and direction (headwinds will destroy fuel economy, especially with a box in tow), driving speed, driving conditions (stop and go), air temp, etc. Even a dirty air or fuel filter can quash mileage BADLY.

Unless you're pulling the same loads, on the same day, at the same time, say 1/4 mile apart, it's very hard to compare mileage between to vehicles......too many variables over such a short span.

When your truck hits 150,000 miles it will be tired and need to be replaced. Your brothers truck will just be getting broken in at 150,000 miles! In addition to the ability to pull much heavier loads, the longevity needs to be factored in when making a decision to go with a diesel.

Damn, didn't know I should have replaced both my PU's and car long ago......but I'll keep driving them, they still start, run, drive and tow just fine.

That old "150k and a gas is junk" wives tale was maybe true 20 years ago (but not really, since most diesels of that era were junk), but today if you don't get 200K+ out of a gas engine, it was either abused or neglected.

I got a 95 tahoe with 200k and it pulls my flatbed with 3 bikes OK.

You need a more scientific study into HOW they pulled. How fast, how hard on the gas, what speed. SOme diesels just dont live up the hype, some gas trucks are better than others.

As always, "your mileage may vary."