Charging Woes

From another thread:

I suggest you refresh yourself on the diagnoses procedures located in the FAQ,,, Then with a fresh mind, start the procedure from the beginning, like you’ve never touched the bike. The charging system on a DRZ is very simple, yet a simple problem overlooked kills the whole thing.

Not trying to talk down to you at all :excuseme: but even the best techs miss a issue or step at times, or make a cursory look and assume what they see is good, only to start over again later and really check, finding the problem was just overlooked along the way.

Basic trouble shooting, be methodical, never skip a step even when your "sure THATS NOT IT" and when you get to the end, the problem still exists, it's not magic,, you just missed the issue. Go back to the beginning and start again.

You had 80v from all three legs?
Yes - roughly. All three were 75-80V depending on the exact RPM.
I'll thru the entire procedure again, but I dont think I missed anything.

Its outputing DC voltage from the regulator / regulator, but its just outputting about 12.4-12.5V.

Back in August of 2008 my notes in my service manual show I recorded it outputting 13.1V.

I did the tests in the service manual and will do them again.

Just for kicks I'm going to try another reg/rectifier off another DRZ I have access to tomorrow and just make sure with his reg/rectifier the voltage is the same.

After doing all the tests, the only thing I could think of was that the regulator/rectifier is suspect - which I know is highly unlikely, since they usually either work or dont work at all.

I was asked to start a new thread.

I double checked and I have 76VAC, 77VAC, and 80VAC off the stator and going into the reg/rectifier at 5k rpms. I have 12.5VDC leaving the regulator/rectifier at 5000 rpms.

I'll try another regulator / rectifier tomorrow.

Ryan - Are you following the FAQ procdure or some procedure in a service book? AC volts are great but it does not mean the stator is good. What do you get for resistsnce between the yelow stator wires and frame ground? Disconnect the stator from the RR. Engine not running. Measure resistance yellow to frane. It should measure infinity. If you find any resistance at all: 1 ohm, 10 ohm, 100 ohm, 1000 ohm the stator is shorted to ground and is bad.

as noble said. I went through this a few months back. My output seemed to be the same as yours but my yellow stator wires had continuity with ground. I just sent my stator to RMStator last week. No body has aftermarket stators in stock just yet but RM said they had new ones to put on my harness and a 1day turn around. You just have to ship it to canada. Good luck