Another YZ426F cracked tank

I had a bad time at the races today at Hungry Valley MX. It started out well enough with a holeshot in the first moto, then one guy passed me. No problem, I stayed with him. Then the first bad thing happened. I overjumped an uphill double and flat landed it, but I didn't crash. Everytime I do that, I sprain my left thumb and it ruins my ride. I had to pull over and let one guy by while I dealt with the pain. Then my bike started running a little funny, like rich off the bottom or something. I finished the moto in third. Once back at the truck, I noticed and smelled a gas leak. It didn't take long to realize that the gas tank had cracked, since it happened on my '99. It was in the same area also, near the rear corner by the tank strap. At that point, I decided to pack it up and call it a day.

Of course my joy didn't end there. While standing under an EZ-Up in the shade, I turned and rammed my shin into a bike stand, resulting in a painful bruise. Luckily it missed a previous bruise by an inch. I got that one a couple of weeks ago when I hit my shin on my footpeg. I had gotten out of shape in a corner and nearly fell, but saved it. After I got the goose egg on my shin, I kinda wished I would have just fallen over in the turn.

I suspect that the leaking gas and fumes were being sucked through the air filter, causing a rich condition at low revs.

I'm hoping Yamaha will give me some warranty assistance with the tank and the hub that I blew up a while ago.

Scott F

You must know Steve Piattoni (Shock Therapy) , he races in your class I believe? He did the suspension on my WR. A couple of my other friends are Gang members, Craig Davis( vet pro),Mike Horton 30+ expert), Jeremy Waki(beginner). They are always trying to get me to join the Gang. They all say it's a fun club and they almost always put on a good race. I hope sometime in the near future to join up and do some races with the Gang, maybe i'll see you out there.

I'm going to Gorman this Sat. if you're interested let me know.

------------------

So Cal Erik

Visit my club's site at <A HREF="http://www.ruts.org

" TARGET=_blank>www.ruts.org

</A>

Good news! My dealer got Yamaha to warranty the cracked tank. I hope to get a new one by the weekend. The refused the hub, but I really think they have a hub problem and should warranty them also, along with all the damage they cause. I hope no one gets hurts from exploding their hub while landing the big one.

Scott F