Oil in the airbox?

Was taking the air filter out yesterday and noticed quite a bit of clean oil in the airbox. There was enough that the bottom of the air filter was pretty much soaked in it. 2005 DRZ400s with just over 2300 miles. Bike hasn't been upside down...but has been on one wheel. What's going on? I searched the forum, but didn't find much....thanks.

Yep the air filter is supposed to be soaked in oil.

Every time after you clean the filter you're supposed to reapply oil. Not doing so would be very bad.

It's also pretty bad that you've gone 2,300 miles and never cleaned the air filter!

Yep the air filter is supposed to be soaked in oil.

Every time after you clean the filter you're supposed to reapply oil. Not doing so would be very bad.

It's also pretty bad that you've gone 2,300 miles and never cleaned the air filter!

I just bought the bike 200 miles ago! Thanks for the hard time though....sheesh ; )

It's engine oil in the box..

You are talking engine oil and not the tacky air filter oil right? I'm no expert but I think if you have over filled the oil tank it could pump the excess oil into the breather box. Do you know the drill for checking the oil level?

Yep, I just changed it a couple weeks ago. Level is where it should be. Thanks. I did put a full 2qts in when I did it as per what I'd read here, I imagine the little bit extra may have ended up in the box.