Sign in to follow this  

My 1979 XL125S

Here's my 1979 XL125S in factory white. I had this exact same model and color as a teenager and have been trying to replace it for over 20 years.I found this bike through a local classified ad and pretty much bought it instantly.This XL was in a pretty sad state when I brought it home,but was fairly complete and running(somewhat).The paint on the tank is original,but I had to refinish the side panels(with new decals) ,rear fender and engine side cases.All cables,wheel bearings,fork seals,tires&tubes,chain,sprockets,clutch,F&R brakes,speedometer gear,mirrors,carburetor,chain guard,toolbox,all four signal lights,battery box,battery,grips,kill switch,hoses,lines,filters,etc...are all NOS Honda OEM parts.Nothing is aftermarket except the tires and the side panel decals(had the originals scanned and reproduced).This was what I considered to be a light restoration for now.I'm planning on doing a full tear down at some point and bring it back to showroom condition.I realize this is a complete waste of money,but it's a labor of love...which trumps cost.....Photos are after and before.The bottom pic is at the previous owners house before I loaded it in the truck to take her home.cid_4B54389A-8D32-4691-8DF4-5697-1.jpgDSCN0737.jpg

Edited by Airoyster

Sure was a lot of work though.If it wasn't for the fact that the tank and seat were in pretty clean condtion,I wouldn't have bought this bike.I darn near replaced everything on it....it was a real can of worms.The chain was so rusty that some of the links were actually fused together....didn't even have an air filter.From what I've learned over the years,the white XL's are pretty scarce here in North America.White wasn't even offered as a color option in the North American sales brochure back in 79'.

I in no way think it's a big waste of money. Think of what people spend(waste) money on, but look at what you get, what a great looking bike!

It seems they're pretty scarce in North America. From the research I've done,most of the white XL's were in the UK,but had red frames.According to what I've learned they were sold as 1978 model year bikes and put on the market a year ahead of North America(the 78' and 79' were quite different here).It's possible,I suppose, that the white bodywork was left over from the UK production models and used up on some of the North American bikes.This is just a guess,but It is the only answer I can come up with seeing red was the only color offered in the 79' sales brochure this side of the pond. The white color bodywork has been spotted on the 1979 XL80,XL100,XL125,XL185,and the XL500.I haven't been able to spot a white 79'XL250 yet though.

Very nice looking machine. I have a 1982 in the more common red version. These are a surprisingly fun woods bike and good for teaching others how to ride on. The six speed makes for a nice crawl in first gear. I also like how quiet they are with the stock muffler set up. Mine came up on craigslist last spring and I just had to go get it. It only had 1300 miles on it and looks and runs like it too. I am going to detail it out and make it mint again. For some reason the turn signals were removed and the owner no longer had them so I'm trying to track down a nice set of originals. Otherwise, it is complete.

Nice job on your restoration.