What Did You Do To Your XR Today . . . .

2 hours ago, ThumperCurtis said:

Last night I wired in my TrailTech Voyager mounted it to the crossbar mount. I've done this on 2 bikes now and enjoy the visibility it provides without being in the way.

Its fairly simple to mount this way. Just get a 2"x4" piece of aluminum and pound it to fit the contour of the crossbar pad. Then drill the holes in the AL and the plastic cover and mount it up. Stays in place and can easily be removed with the Velcro.

Does anyone know if there is a blockoff plug for the ODOMETER cable on the right side?

IMG_20170405_215418232.jpg

only thing to do is remove speedo cable and fit in a speedo eliminator...

http://www.xrsonly.com/xrs-only-speedo-drive-replacement-kit-honda-xr400r-xr600r-xr650l-xr650r

Finally changed out the stock jets on 93 xr250l. It has the calif pumper carb that is setup so lean it is frightening.  I think it was 132 and 38 and i went to 140 and 42. What a huge difference.  I did have a small fuel seep on the carb bowl, i luckily had a kit from my 01 xr400. The bowl seal was identical and it had a seal for the pumper seal as well. No leaks.  The bike starts and runs like a top.

[mention=355950]Tribalsimba[/mention] what brand levers are those? i have moose racing hand guards and the stock levers are a bit to long

StreamLine Reflex Pro. I should note I moved the perches as far in as I could on the bars, and had to craft a spacer on the inner mount to clear the clutch adjuster.

http://www.motosport.com/streamline-reflex-pro-clutch-lever-with-hotstart

Got it out of mothballs and changed the filter, oil, air filter, cleaned the carb, changed the spark plug, and put fresh gas in it.

Fired the first kick after 3 years. Passing the XR down to my son because I bought this.  Paid $2K for a very low hour 2007 450XC-W.

20170409_172427_zpsvwix9shv.jpg

• Like 2

I took the XR to Brown Mountain OHV area today. I rode 30 miles of some awesome single track. It was full of rocks, roots, and ruts. I got some good video footage and should get a video on YouTube in the next couple days.

The only problem I had was that my little Toyota gave it up on the way home and I had to do the last 37 miles of my trip on the back of a rollback.

• Like 2

She fired up on the first kick, and idled flawlessly!!! So thrilled!

After breaking the motor in, when I returned to garage the following morning. A puddle!!??

IMG_2644.JPG

Rear Shock is off for a rebuild.

IMG_2696.JPG

I guess next year I'll have to do the frame, it's the only thing I haven't really touched at this point.

IMG_2712.JPG

So we worked on the 50 and then thrashed on it instead!

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2017 at 9:56 PM, 702inda509 said:

Getting it ready for camping with the new Green Chile Uprising soft rackIMG_1086.JPGIMG_1087.JPG

I've been eyeballing the green chili system, debating between the $60 base and the $99 base with straps.  Do the straps have the daisy chain loops, and are they worth the extra money, or can it be diy with tie down straps?  Thanks.

• Like 1

I've been eyeballing the green chili system, debating between the $60 base and the $99 base with straps.  Do the straps have the daisy chain loops, and are they worth the extra money, or can it be diy with tie down straps?  Thanks.

Straps have the daisy loops and are worth the extra mounting points they afford,especially since those side areas are a prime area to keep heavier items the lowest.

• 1 month later...

finally got to ride my xr..just put new jets in..160/60..to compliment the gordon mods but vw tip...starts first kick hot or cold no hesitation on revs..absolutely loved it today after getting mot and tax....shame bout the idiots in cars that just dont give a f**k bout bikers or cyclists....looking forward to running bike in and setting up everything...upside down forks are awesome..glad i done conversion.. ?

IMG_20170626_115935.jpg

Installed an EHS Racing universal air-box filter on my 2013 XR650L.

Getting the air box opened up and ready for my FCR-MX41 pumper carb. This filter media is supposed to shed water, so even if you go through water up to the air box, it's not supposed to gush in, but deflect past.

IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6447.JPG

Had to do some custom bending to get the aluminum frame to fit nicely against the side panel. It's hardened aluminum, and won't hardly bend with a dead-blow hammer. Used my home-made jig for the bending. Worked a charm.

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6438.JPG

IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6439.JPG

Here's some of the layout pics:

IMG_6432.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6435.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Re-adjusted my valves after consulting with my Baja riding pal afm774  -  I'd done them after Baja for the first time un-assisted. I got sloppy and a bit confused and they were all off a little. Bike seemed to run fine, but a bit noisy.  I went with my motion pro feeler that has 0.004 on one end and 0.005 on the other and that's right were the manual says.  Bike is much quieter now and ran great on my commute to work yesterday. 

I also changed my spark plug. Was running a colder plug for Baja and it looked great. No fouling nice even tan color. Went back to stock plug. 

Bike fired up on first kick too! (It usually isn't more than a few kicks to get going) 

I also noticed that the valve caps are 24mm, and I don't have an open ended wrench that big, but the stock Honda tool in the tool kit for the rear axle is 24mm!  That made it easy.. 

xr400 valve spec.JPG

Edited by cabrito