r00t4rd3d

What Did You Do To Your XR Today . . . .

Went and practiced my wheelies with my xr400 on a church road for a little over an hour. I finally learned how to shift in a wheelie and keep it up. I was able to do 1st-2nd-3rd, and 2nd-3rd wheelies pretty good. I finally got a full third gear wheelie too, from 25-55mph until the rev limiter kicked in. I estimated it about 660feet. This is with 16/45 gearing. I wasn't able to get anything up in 4th. I'm still scared about getting the balance point to where I can go a constant speed in a wheelie like on my 400ex.

Rode it hard today for 8 hours. Initial impression of the USD conversion was that they were very harsh but as the day wore on they got a lot better. I changed the fork oil and bushings and this was the first ride on it. Jetting is still a little rich but there is no bog and no fouling of the plug but it is a little dark.

Rode it hard today for 8 hours. Initial impression of the USD conversion was that they were very harsh but as the day wore on they got a lot better. I changed the fork oil and bushings and this was the first ride on it. Jetting is still a little rich but there is no bog and no fouling of the plug but it is a little dark.

was the suspension revalved before you put it on? stock USD forks from CR/R and CRF/R bikes are valved for motocross, not trail riding. They are going to be harsh. Now that being said, even when valved they have very little flex and you get a much more solid feel than stock forks. i personally like the lack of flex, but it did take some getting used to. it made me really loosen up my riding style and helped me get rid of some of my death grip style riding style. i have no regrets with my swap.

No they were not revalved yet. Suspension and motor work is coming this winter. The shock and the forks are both going in for an overhaul for my weight and riding style. Like I said though they seemed to loosen up as the day went.

I think this brings a little more meaning to the term Dual Sport (got the XR ready for a nice dirty ride tomorrow :cheers:):

Step 1-

28479b65.jpg

Step 2 -

50178f7e.jpg

Step 3 -

b66982e7.jpg

Step 4 -

d49a7bdc.jpg

Step 5 -

11970e6b.jpg

these bikes are f-ing awesome, gotta love the XR400 :smirk::smirk::p

time to go get her dirty

Edited by sbsurfer

alright folks, i just put badly needed new wheels and tyres on my 2000 XR4. i haven't ridden this beast in about two years and have been ridding my 2007 CRF250R on all occasions. My question is this; what i would call engine braking on the XR4 seems quite severe compared to my CRF250R. To me this is very alarming, but is it normal? The compression is in spec, and the clutch is completely thrashed and will soon be replaced. I am just curious because i cannot remember how the greatest bike on earth felt to ride. Please forgive me, as i have sinned!

I think this brings a little more meaning to the term Dual Sport (got the XR ready for a nice dirty ride tomorrow :cheers:):

Step 1-

28479b65.jpg

Step 2 -

50178f7e.jpg

Step 3 -

b66982e7.jpg

Step 4 -

d49a7bdc.jpg

Step 5 -

11970e6b.jpg

these bikes are f-ing awesome, gotta love the XR400 :smirk::smirk::p

time to go get her dirty

Are you heading up to divide peak OHV area? Just curious because I was out on the trails (cold spring) yesterday on the MTB. Conditions were excellent. I like the low/dense fog.

I've never checked out divide peak but will get up there when I get the new xr400 setup properly. Have fun.

R

alright folks, i just put badly needed new wheels and tyres on my 2000 XR4. i haven't ridden this beast in about two years and have been ridding my 2007 CRF250R on all occasions. My question is this; what i would call engine braking on the XR4 seems quite severe compared to my CRF250R. To me this is very alarming, but is it normal? The compression is in spec, and the clutch is completely thrashed and will soon be replaced. I am just curious because i cannot remember how the greatest bike on earth felt to ride. Please forgive me, as i have sinned!

Yup. Its an old school 4t, engine braking will seem insane compared to a 250f.

SB, just curious about what final gearing you use for sm and dirt?

in sumo trim i run a 16/42 (might be 16/40...having a hard time remembering)

in dirt i run stock 15/45

Are you heading up to divide peak OHV area? Just curious because I was out on the trails (cold spring) yesterday on the MTB. Conditions were excellent. I like the low/dense fog.

I've never checked out divide peak but will get up there when I get the new xr400 setup properly. Have fun.

R

me and some buddies went and rode upper and lower Oso, it was awesome and only a few other riders were there so not crowded at all.

are you in SB? if you get a xr PM me your number and let's go ride.

also, i'm looking to buy a 1986 Honda Reflex next weekend...i a street legal trials/trails bike. exerience with these little machines. i've seena few pics of some modded ones that look like alotta fun.

a shot from yesterday:

0e7d1f1e.jpg

Edited by sbsurfer

are you in SB? if you get a xr PM me your number and let's go ride.

Live in Pasadena, but visit SB often. When I get the XR ready will send you a PM. I'm looking forward to checking out some of the backcountry stuff up there.

R

yes engine breaking is severe when compared to a mx bike.

A couple of days ago I received the Hot rods I ordered for my bike From USA (I live in Costa Rica) so here a picture of it, I know may not be so useful :excuseme:but I was dieing to see a picture before the purchase so hope it help others It fits XR 250 86-2004

IMG_6243.jpg?t=1288019908

Edited by JohanChaves
Forgot uploading photo

You shortened the two primaries but the Japanese tuners lengthened them almost all the way to the mid-pipe. Hmmmmm