Sign in to follow this  

The race of a lifetime?

If you could take your vacaiton and go compete in any one event what would it be? I'm not talking to about going to win, just compete, get the whole experience (as opposed to just watching). My best MX days are long gone, so trying qualify for Lorretta's, or such is out of the question. I'm a pretty versitial rider, and my main goal is just to have fun, and gain the experience of a lifetime. I've been thinking about this most of my life, but you know, careers, houses, kids, have delayed it. After watching my grampa pass recently, I can't quit thinking about lying there someday and thinking; 'god i should have'..... While I have many riding yrs left, its gotta get done!

My thoughts, in no order are:

Boneville: mod up the KTM, or build some sort of speedster bike. Talk my father into driving across country with me, run the bike, and get see the amazing big time speed guys run.

Pikes Peak: I believe they have a supermoto class, and i'm well versed at sliding around flat track style. Just always thought this was a cool race, with many inovative vehicles.

Baja / Desert race: always admired these guys, plus it would help me up my fitness with years worth of prep.

Any other ideas?:excuseme:

Sorry about your grampa bro.Really gets you thinkin Eh? I came close this year {bad brain infection] I havn't been the same since.I think I got a few new toons for Bob Segar lol.I always wanted to do the Baja 500 but after watching the movie "dust to glory"the night riding looks pretty scary! and my night vision sucks..and then there is getting run over by a dune buggy....Nah it I think I would go for the pre-run or go on a tour.I would love to race the mammoth track in Cali it looks sweet.

Just racing again is my current goal but I'd love to race a track like Southwick or maybe a MX1 race. Obviously, the GP is a fantasy and not going to happen but you can dream, right? :excuseme:

Sorry about your grampa bro.Really gets you thinkin Eh? I came close this year {bad brain infection] I havn't been the same since.I think I got a few new toons for Bob Segar lol.I always wanted to do the Baja 500 but after watching the movie "dust to glory"the night riding looks pretty scary! and my night vision sucks..and then there is getting run over by a dune buggy....Nah it I think I would go for the pre-run or go on a tour.I would love to race the mammoth track in Cali it looks sweet.

thanks jason. good to hear your ok, that sounds terrible. you bring up a good point, i can't see worth a darn at night, so racing - probably not good. Going on one of those baja tours might be cool. Mammoth - good thought, that might make me think about putting mx back on the table.

Erzeberg. Romaniacs. Dakar. Hell I would really like to do the Trans American Trail on a dirtbike even though thats not a race.

Dakar!! now your talking :excuseme: but, that might be a little to grand of a plan. but it is fun to dream.

The World Vet Nationals at Glen Helen...

I have done it several times now and there is nothing like it on earth.

Not too many races you can go out and actually race with LEGENDS! Gary Jones, Chuck Sun, Ricky Johnson, Brad Lackey, Joe Melton, Willy Musgrave, Ryan Hughes...the list goes on.

It's been going on for over 25 years and every year they give the Edison Dye award at the event. The several events that I was in attendance at, I was fortunate enough to see Roger Decoster, Bob Hannah and Chuck Sun be honored. The really cool thing about is, you get to just "hang" with these guys in the pits...sooooo cool!

Heck, might as well have a "bucket list" of all the races you want to do! Why limit yourself to just one???

Good luck!

The World Vet Nationals at Glen Helen...

I have done it several times now and there is nothing like it on earth.

Not too many races you can go out and actually race with LEGENDS! Gary Jones, Chuck Sun, Ricky Johnson, Brad Lackey, Joe Melton, Willy Musgrave, Ryan Hughes...the list goes on.

It's been going on for over 25 years and every year they give the Edison Dye award at the event. The several events that I was in attendance at, I was fortunate enough to see Roger Decoster, Bob Hannah and Chuck Sun be honored. The really cool thing about is, you get to just "hang" with these guys in the pits...sooooo cool!

Heck, might as well have a "bucket list" of all the races you want to do! Why limit yourself to just one???

Good luck!

that sounds like the thing to do. that would be cool. can you post a link to that race. me and my brother grew up watching Bob Hannah & Ricky Johnson. it would be nicr to meet them

if Last Man Standing was still going on, it would be that since im so close to where it was held...

otherwise, it would be awesome to just be able to qualify for erzburg or one of the similar enduros like that.

1.Last Man Standing 2.Baja 250 or 500 teamed with my Son 3.Amateur day at Southwick MX.So many races and such little time.Good thread vetrider16.

Dakar!! now your talking :excuseme: but, that might be a little to grand of a plan. but it is fun to dream.

Think HUGE!!!! You may just end up big.

The wife and I used to take a week off and attend and race the amateur day events before the Washougal National. Those were great times, I'm thinking I might try and get in shape and do the same at Hangtown this spring.

Erzberg and Romaniacs would be at the top of the list for me. Too bad Last Man Standing isn't around anymore, I could realistically do that. I do plan on doing some traveling over the next several years to hit some National Enduros and Qualifiers outside of my area.

I also like the idea of riding the Trans America Trail or Al-Can Highway on an adventure bike.

The other one I was thinking about is the Barstow to Vegas desert race. When my dad raced it back in the 70's you only had about a 50/50 chance of finishing it. It defines what desert racing is all about. Out of the 4 times he raced it, he only finished 1 time.

So he was a little below the chances!