08 450R for 06 X

I bought an 08 450R at the beginning of the year bacause I got a geat deal on it, I had been an Off Road guy for the last several years and thought i would try my luck on the track again.. Didnt work out to well, I semi converted the R for a woods weapon and raced Hare scrambles for the rest of the year, I did ok but I feel an X would be better suited for me. I have ridden yamaha WR's (426/450's) for the past several years.. I found an a guy with an 06 X that is willing to trade, the bike looks to be in great shape and well taken care of.. I have never been on an X though. I feel it would be pretty comparable to the WR but i dont know.. Anything i should look for???

I bought an 08 450R at the beginning of the year bacause I got a geat deal on it, I had been an Off Road guy for the last several years and thought i would try my luck on the track again.. Didnt work out to well, I semi converted the R for a woods weapon and raced Hare scrambles for the rest of the year, I did ok but I feel an X would be better suited for me. I have ridden yamaha WR's (426/450's) for the past several years.. I found an a guy with an 06 X that is willing to trade, the bike looks to be in great shape and well taken care of.. I have never been on an X though. I feel it would be pretty comparable to the WR but i dont know.. Anything i should look for???

The X is more of a desert bike than a woods bike. It's taller, wider, and slower turning compared to an R or a WR. It's closer (barely) to an XR I think: an XR with a de-tuned R motor that is.

The WR is fun, but not as refined, fast (not even close) or well built as the X.

The WR needs suspension work to match the X.

The X and the R are not from the same mold, accept for some engine and wheel parts. They really don't even look the same side by side.

By the way, I had an '02 R, an '02 XRR, and have a '05 X and a '03 WR(plated).

Add a 2006 YZ250 for track and a 300XC for woods and you have the perfect stable!

The X is more of a desert bike than a woods bike. It's taller, wider, and slower turning compared to an R or a WR. It's closer (barely) to an XR I think: an XR with a de-tuned R motor that is.

The WR is fun, but not as refined, fast (not even close) or well built as the X.

The WR needs suspension work to match the X.

The X and the R are not from the same mold, accept for some engine and wheel parts. They really don't even look the same side by side.

By the way, I had an '02 R, an '02 XRR, and have a '05 X and a '03 WR(plated).

Add a 2006 YZ250 for track and a 300XC for woods and you have the perfect stable!

That would be great to have the budget for multiple bikes, I have too many other expensive hobbies though..

The X doesnt seem very popular around here,(Western Pa) most of the woods ridin I do is very tight single track, loaded with slick roots, ruts,rocks and mud.. Def dont see many X's at the Hare Scrambles i race either.. Thats why i wanted to get a few opinions.. Unfortunately I need a bike that is going to be able to pull doube duty, run in the woods when i want to do that and be good on a track, although the 450R is hard to beat on the track, it leaves a little to be desired in the woods.. The more i make it a woods bike the worse it gets on the track, Thats the way it goes I guess.

I have made the 450r work for me in the woods, I just feel I would be much more competetive on a bike made for the woods, then i would just have to give up some track time... Thanks for the info Krannie

I have an '07 R and it's rigged mostly for desert but does pretty awesome in technical goat trail type stuff with 14/48 gearing and an 11oz. Steahly FWW. I could see this bike being an excellent tight/technical machine because it is very light and makes huge usable power. It would need a Rekluse Pro (or WR gears which I can't find) and larger rads. That's pretty much it. It'll never be the open desert ride like the 450X but never the less has been reliable and great fun to ride especially if you do any moto. I think the 450X is a slug on tracks but that's probably more rider than bike:lol::bonk::lol::smirk::lol::excuseme:

I would say to keep the new R and forget the trade for the older machine. Only advantage would be the E-start IMHO.I also have mine plated to ride between the trails in Michigan. I ride both single track and MX track with my x and it does decent in both for me but it is heavy and wide compared to the R. I am also not as fast as others either but can hold my own!!! I would keep the faster more nible R and add what is need to make it the way you want. I see you throwing money at the X to make it more like the R in the long run

I race my 'X' at our local tracks and it can be very competitive.Really fast woods riding is where it shines though.Its a great bike.