need a quick tire repair

i got a flat the other day. it was from a staple looking thing. theres 3 small holes(one initial hole and 2 smaller holes on the other side of tube from riding home)

what im looking for is a way to patch the tube using something i can find at a store like lowes or other hardware store

i was thinking a glue of some sort similar to what comes with repair kits if they sell anything like it. and then ill use a piece of my other old tube as the patch.

it only needs to last 1 ride this weekend since i have a new one coming but with thanksgiving and all it wont be here till wednesday

if you have any other suggestions let me know

thanks for any help

i could but that would be as much as buying a tube from the bike shop for 10$

i was thinking like super glue gel (if they sell such a thing) for a couple bucks

but ya, im probably gonna end up buying a new tube or patch kit for just this one ride. which i will really hate doing :excuseme:

believe it or not i have patched tubes with duct tape with great results even on little tears and multiple holes. just clean the tube real good than apply a piece of duct tape about 2"x2" over the hole and press on it very hard, then apply at a slightly different angle another layer, i usually use about 8 pieces all layered on top of each other. ive used a duct taped tube for 30 mostly street miles (at 15 psi) without a blow out before i got a new tube. i wouldn't do anything extreme on a tube repaired this way although Ive had patch kits blow off way easier than a good duct tape job. it might hold out long enough to get through your ride, plus its nearly free.

Several months ago I pinched a tube during the install, bought another tube and pinched that one too. Rather than buy yet another tube I went to a bicycle shop and bought a good patch kit. Cost $4 and change. Patched both tubes and I'm still using them to this day.

One of my dads tubs has 4 patches on it. It was a mixture of pinches from install and a big rock. Still works and lasts if you take your time preping the surface, then leting the glue dry. Never use the slime patches there called scabs they suck. Well you could use them if you like to change tires.:excuseme:

thanks for the replies

believe it or not i have patched tubes with duct tape with great results even on little tears and multiple holes. just clean the tube real good than apply a piece of duct tape about 2"x2" over the hole and press on it very hard, then apply at a slightly different angle another layer, i usually use about 8 pieces all layered on top of each other. ive used a duct taped tube for 30 mostly street miles (at 15 psi) without a blow out before i got a new tube. i wouldn't do anything extreme on a tube repaired this way although Ive had patch kits blow off way easier than a good duct tape job. it might hold out long enough to get through your ride, plus its nearly free.

i would never have thought of this. and when you think about it it seems like a really good idea to try. plus its free and quick-ish too :excuseme:

im gonna try this first thanks

why not just buy a tube for $10 if a patch kit is going to cost you $4? So you have one coming keep it as a spare. Just drive to the shop and get one and save yourself some trouble down the road.

well the $10 tubes are pretty bad. they are like no name brands and i tried one with my front when i got a flat. didnt go too well, on the first ride i got 2 3/4inch slits which im assuming are from a pinch (at 14psi). 10 bucks down the drain.

but getting a real patch kit will be a back up after the duct tape idea if it doesnt work.

I think you are improperly changing your tires.

-You must make sure they are clean on the inside.

-I removed the rubber strip and Cover the rime with duct tape. Then I install the rim lock, and put the rubber band around and over the rim lock. make sure the tire and rim are both clean and dry.

-Before you install the tube you must fill it slightly with air to prevent any twisting.

-Then coat it in baby powder to prevent friction.

-Anyhow you could use the crappiest tube and it will still out last a patch etc if installed correct.

i have changed tires before and i did everything you said, except the duct tape part. i couldnt find it at the time so i just have the band

but it sat with that tube for at least a week. and i did go on a short ride(like 20 mins) to make sure everything was good after installing it. no problems

the trails i ride are really rocky. then in the high speed sections theres sharp rocks jutting out in random places. hitting a sharp rock going 45 cant be good so maybe that could have contributed

If you want to save a buck use some really good duct tape. I fixed the rear suspension on my 87 Accord with dict tap once. It got me to the dealership!

Most patch kits have a kind of rubber cement or self vulcanizing cement. It helps hold the patch on and seals the patch against the hole. Self adhesive patches or scabs do not.

This litttle kit from Park tool has everything from Amazon for $1.90, May be too late tho. 517TbRFMnHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I always use Bridgestone HD tubes, every tire change. The tire guy at my dealership (has been doing it 20 years - pretty straight up) always uses them and swears by them. He says they are so tough he has seen them abrade the inside of a tire when no rimlocks were used.

One time when I got my Pirelli scorpions, I use Pirelli tubes and regretted it. I was doing about 50 down the road (I have a dual sport) and both valve stems sheared off - talk about some pucker factor.

BABY powder helps a lot and doesnt leave your tube all greasy when changing. I have also seen a video where a guy uses about 10 straps or zip ties to squeeze the tire down once the tube is in side and partially inflated. slips it onto the rim easily and cuts the wire ties or removes the straps. Keep from gouging your rims up.

If you want to save a buck use some really good duct tape. I fixed the rear suspension on my 87 Accord with dict tap once. It got me to the dealership!

Most patch kits have a kind of rubber cement or self vulcanizing cement. It helps hold the patch on and seals the patch against the hole. Self adhesive patches or scabs do not.

This litttle kit from Park tool has everything from Amazon for $1.90, May be too late tho. 517TbRFMnHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I always use Bridgestone HD tubes, every tire change. The tire guy at my dealership (has been doing it 20 years - pretty straight up) always uses them and swears by them. He says they are so tough he has seen them abrade the inside of a tire when no rimlocks were used.

One time when I got my Pirelli scorpions, I use Pirelli tubes and regretted it. I was doing about 50 down the road (I have a dual sport) and both valve stems sheared off - talk about some pucker factor.

BABY powder helps a lot and doesnt leave your tube all greasy when changing. I have also seen a video where a guy uses about 10 straps or zip ties to squeeze the tire down once the tube is in side and partially inflated. slips it onto the rim easily and cuts the wire ties or removes the straps. Keep from gouging your rims up.

thanks for the info. but ya tou are a little late, i did the duct tape fix. and its holding up great. went on a 2.5 hour ride today with no problems. :banghead:

i will have bridgestone ultra HD tubes in the front and rear when it comes. they are so thick its unbelievable. and i use the baby powder too.

does the zip tie thing really work? ill have to search for that. i already marked my new rims in a couple spots from the tire irons and am pissed haha