06+ Suspension on a steel frame 02-04???

Hey everyone, thanks for the forum. I currently have my 2007 YZ450F on ad to trade back into SMOKER HEAVEN and I have been looking at bikes daily. My last 2t was an '03 YZ250 and I LOVED it, and then after it got stolen I went out and got my 4t and the suspension was like WOW... night and day from even the valved '03 stuff. SO I have been pretty much "set" on an 06+ YZ250 for the fact that I want the SSS Fork. But... can I fit the 48mm SSS stuff from the newer bikes on say an '02-03 (46mm) or even and '04? I love the way the steel frames handled, and they are now cheap enough to just buy as opposed to trading, and I have come across the newer forks lately. So for those in the know, please let me know what I need to make it work. Thanks everyone!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1466718016.html

The 06 forks will fit straight in the 04. Anything earlier you will need the triple tree also.

Forks after 06 you will need the triple tree, and axle.

Hope that helps

The 06 forks will fit straight in the 04. Anything earlier you will need the triple tree also.

Forks after 06 you will need the triple tree, and axle.

Hope that helps

Thanks! So the head tube is pretty much the standard size? Ok cool. So now I can really look twice at the ton of steel frame bikes I've been seeing for sale. This will allow me to keep the 450 and slap a WR trans in it and make it my desert queen!

Yes, but you;re first required to send it all to me for a proper test. Should take no more than a year or so.

I think an 02-04 with 06 or newer suspension might be as nice as a yz 250 can get. I remember hearing rumors that Chad Reed liked his 04 better than the alloy 05. Being that he and I ride at similar speeds, I bet it would be good for me too.

Well, our speed in the pits is very similar.

Yes, but you're first required to send it all to me for a proper test. Should take no more than a year or so.

I think an 02-04 with 06 or newer suspension might be as nice as a yz 250 can get. I remember hearing rumors that Chad Reed liked his 04 better than the alloy 05. Being that he and I ride at similar speeds, I bet it would be good for me too.

Well, our speed in the pits is very similar.

Hey I'm in Vegas, if you wanna meet me in say... Panquitch or Brianhead, I'd LOVE to hand it over to you.

I too heard that about Reed.. So yes, I'm determined to come back and show off my KYB SSS equipped 04 YZ250!

I bolted a set of 2007 forks on my 2001 - no problems at all.

I bolted a set of 2007 forks on my 2001 - no problems at all.

Stock Triple clamps too? With just a 2mm difference, I was wondering if it was an issue

Stock Triple clamps too? With just a 2mm difference, I was wondering if it was an issue

The triple clamps would be a must have since the fork diameter became larger.