phantom throttling

Has anyone ever had this problem? I just picked up a 2004 DR-Z400S and took it out for its first ride yesterday. I rode through some pretty technical areas in 1st gear. From time to time, the engine continued to rev after I had released the throttle. I had to neutral it and rev a few times to get it to come down.

Second issue, which may be related, during normal riding I get spitting from the exhaust when I release the throttle. I say spitting as a mild use of the word backfiring.

Any suggestions?

remove the carb and clean it thoroughly , the pilot jet is blocked .

lube the throttle cables and make sure the throttle closes correctly

A hanging idle is usually a symptom on a lean condition.

I agree with the possible lean condition.

And popping on decel is normal.

If it has been sitting for a while.... The pilot jet is most likely clogged, and needs to be cleaned/replaced....:excuseme::thumbsup:

Erling

Do all of the above and then check for proper jetting for your elevation. This can make a huge difference....

Thanks guys, the bike had been sitting a while. I will bust into it this weekend. Appreciate the feedback!

Thanks guys, the bike had been sitting a while. I will bust into it this weekend. Appreciate the feedback!

Super......Let us know how it goes....:excuseme::thumbsup:

Erling

Another similar issue I have experienced was my throttle cables were "crimped" or constricted with my wiring harness behind the headlight which created extra throttle when my bars were turned to the right, so make sure nothing is restricting its function as well.