2- stroke ??s

Hey guys,

I have a friend that wants to trade me his CR for some stuff I have. The bike blew a head gasket and he replaced it but he said it doesn't run like it should now and overheats.

I cannot remember if it is a 125 or 250 but know it is a late 90 early 2000ish model.

What should I be looking for on these bikes potentional problems? I have not owned a 2 stroke since the early 80'ies and it was air cooled so a water pumper is new to me. I would hate to get it and end up with $1000 in repairs.

Any advise you can give will help.

Ray

its a 2stroke and cheap to fix. over heating you need to check whatter pump fan blades make sure they spin when you push kick start down. and make sure it dont spin by hand. grabe it try to turn it. blades should not spin by hand. and its seal. see if it has whatter in the oil. that will tell you if it is the seal. cant be much more then that. hope all gose well.

it would be a plus also if he had the tittle also, maybe you can take some pics also?

I will find out what it is on Sat. As for the title...North Carolina does not issue titles for "Off Road Only" bikes. I would have to register it in another state to get a title. What he wants me to trade I will be getting the better end of the deal. Since he asked for the trade I don't feel so bad about it. I just need a bike to chase my son around. I had to sell my XR and we have not been able to ride because of that.

Worst case I could sell it.

Ray

What is a 'whatter' pump?:bonk:

Good luck, fellow truck driver!:excuseme:

if the little ones in the house. as in kids. want to play on the computer. by typeing wile i tell them words. to type in for me. and they miss spell a word. and for you to pick on anyone for this. regardless of who it was me or them. makes you pretty LAME (also) in the future. if you fill the need to pick on. me or any one for this matter. you send them a pm. insted of screwing up some ones post. that needs help thank you........you all ant pushing my buttens any more Edited by MIKE ANIMAL

Well the bike is on my trailer. It is a 1999 CR125. It cranks first kick and seems to run OK but I have not been able to ride it since I'm at work. What I did notice while riding up onto the trailer is this:

Oil leaking from the head bolts

Coolant coming from the over flow hose about every 30 sec to a minute for a short 1 second spurt

No front brakes.

He stated that is has a larger bore than stock but cannot remember what the guy he got it from said it was.

It has a Pro Circuit expansion chamber and mini silencer.

Reeds are marked "V-Vorce" power reeds

Apears to have a larger front rotor with a Gold colored caliper relocator bracket.

I will post up a pic when I get home tommorrow.

Ray

Well here it is.

IM000481.jpg

First thing is to take the spray paint off the plastics. :cheers: Easy with the paint stripper I have in the garage. :banghead:

Bike will be all white when it is done.

Well it idles well and top end seems good but it boggs bad on take off, like you are starting in 4th gear.

Any ideas guys. I'm clueless on this engine.

Last 2 stroke I worked on was an air cooled Suzuki DS100

Ray

like you said just clean the engine up, take the carb off, clean all the paggages including the main and pilot jet (could be clooged) with a water hose and air compressor. See what jetting specs are in it first, then go from there, not sure if you put fresh gas in it or not bu if you did not, drain the fuel tank, take it off, put a little fuel in there, swish it around, drain that and install the tank and put in fresh fuel.

Well the fuel is fresh. The PO was riding it up until he traded me.

The engine has issues. This is not a fuel issue. as I stated in the previous post it is pushing coolant out the overflow hose and oil from the head bolts. Another rider here said something about a stuck or broken exhaust valve. Until I looked at a parts break down I was calling bull S&%T. I see now it has 2 of them that look like reeds. ***?!?! Anyway he said they will make it not pull off the line. I really need someone to teach me about this thing. Over the years I have been giving advise to people with the XR650L and now I'm the complete noob with this bike.

I will really start working on it after Christmas. I'm just doing little stuff right now between jobs.

Ray