Sign in to follow this  

Supercross in Detroit? Were are hoping!

Well if you have not heard the Pontiac Silverdome was sold for a whopping $580,000 last week in an auction to the highest sealed bidder! A Toronto based company won the bid. The city of Pontiac tried to back out of the sale as they had offers just last year for 20 million but dragged their feet on approval. A judge ruled this week that the $580,000 deal stands. Bad for Pontiac, hopefully good for motorcycle fans! All the past plans to tear down the 25 year old facility are flushed!

IMO this is good news for any motorcycle fan in southeast Michigan! The company from Toronto that won the bid is an entertainment company. I am hoping that they can/will bring the Supercross back! My family started going to Supercross races at the Silverdome in 2001. When they moved the races to Ford Field in Detroit attendance dropped dramatically! Sadly, no one wanted to go to Detroit to watch. After two years of suffering in Detroit the lack of room for pits was given as the reason for pulling the plug on the Supercross in southeast Michigan. We miss it!

Now I am hoping we may actually have a chance to bring racing back to the fans here, I know there are many! April just isn't the same without the Supercross! We have 12-15 friends, family, and riding buddies that make a day of it with lunch before and dinner afterward!

Sorry to be longwinded I am just glad we might have a chance at seeing Supercross back in Michigan anyone feel the same?

Let's hear from you!

I called AMA about this sale as well. They gave me a contact name at Feld Motorsports in Chicago. They would be the group to negotiate something with the new Silverdome Owners. Left a message at Feld MS and they called me back. They are very aware of the sale and are watching it closely. At the time of the announcement, the new owners were anonymous, but since then, they have been identified. Anyway, Feld is genuinely interested and will probably be contacting them sometime in the near future (if not already). The issues that caused SX to pull out of downtown Detroit (parking, access, multiple events at the same time, etc) are acknowledged as non-existent for Pontiac. I will be checking with Feld from time to time as I too would love to see it come back.

I dont see it happening. Dont get me wrong I love Supercross, but I rather travel to Lucas oil Stadium (i go to Indy every year) and see it there than go to the Silverdome. I live an hour away from the Silverdome and the place (Pontiac) is a hole. I have seen races in every decade since 1978 when Bob Hannah won the 250 main event. The silverdome is costly to run, whoever buys it needs capital to hire event staff and do maintenance on the building. I dont see this happening when there are so many out of work in this Godforesaken state.

The silverdome is costly to run, whoever buys it needs capital to hire event staff and do maintenance on the building. I dont see this happening when there are so many out of work in this Godforesaken state.

Obviously the company that bought it thinks they can make it profitable. The Silverdome cost $57 million to build in 1975, $580,000 is the deal of a lifetime! Yes, the city of Pontiac said the cost of maintenence is $1.5 million per year. Good management with solid bookings hopefully can cover that! We are hoping all this falls into place!:excuseme: It's all about proper management!

• Like 1