Sign in to follow this  

Blaster Engine Hybrid Enduro Machine?

I think this may be the right place for this question? Anyway what I've been thinking about for my winter project: I have a KTM 200 exc frame with a title that could be plated. The wife has a blaster, and when I ride it, it feels that the power delivery would be great for woods riding if it were in a bike? You get the idea by now. Is this a stupid idea? I'm just looking at money spent to fun factor and how reliable this machine would be. Plus I'm thinking it would be very light - maybe under 220? Any comments welcome!

arnt blasters air cooled? sell the blaster get a running bike IMO

I think it would be a cool project. Lots of guys have taken the KDX 200 & 220 engines and put them in more modern/capable chassis. There was even a project on here where a guy took a KTM 200 engine and put it in a YZ125 chassis.

That said, why the Blaster motor for the KTM 200? The Katoom's engine has a lot more potential, is more compact, and probably doen't weigh much/if any more than the Blaster's. A stock KTM 200 should be under 220lb dry weight.

I have asked myself the "why" too. The engine of the 200 exc is SHOT and blasters are cheap. No rads to smash if it was air cooled. Plus I just think it would be a neat project. I've looked at all the kdx hybrid projects but I want something different. Basically the blaster motor is like the old IT motors from what people say. Less maintenance. And the chassis has a MC title so it would be plateable = great for enduros :excuseme:

The blaster has a great motor...it is basically an IT 200. Pipe is obviously different, CDI is probably different too. Those would be the things I'd be after first to turn it into an IT/EXC hybrid. I think this is a great project, have fun with it!:excuseme:

I think the idea sounds fun. Air cooling was never all that bad. For this project, it would rule. I wonder what this chassis feels like without having 10lbs of cooling crap mounted so high?

Take the engine and set it in the frame to get an idea of how much work it would be. I am betting it will be prohibitively difficult.

Good luck, regardless....:excuseme:

I've done a few of these engine swaps in the past. The most important thing is to get the primary drive sprocket as close to the swingarm pivot as you can and lined up vertically to the rear sprocket. You can use a couple of rulers to do this. Most modern engines use the engine as part of the swingarm pivot so that makes it easier. Use a good quality aluminum plate to fabricate the engine mounts. You know the KTM handles well and the Yamaha motor is basically the same as the old IT200 so you should have a fun project. You should check the gear ratios in the transmission. It might have some odd ones installed for quad usage.

I'm sure it would be difficult but atleast it's a steel frame (which I can weld to.) The pipe would maybe be a problem to fit but that's why it would be a "project." I would probably buy a whole mid 90's blaster and use everything that I could from the wheeler and then part the chassis out. I would just put the whole electrical system over on to the bike chassis to eliminate any confusion there. I know it would not be overpowered but for tight woods I rarely feel that I need the power that newer liquid bikes can provide. I just wanted some input from others and I knew that some people would think it's a stupid idea (heck I think it's kinda stupid) but I like to be different and stand out in a crowd. And what better than an air cooled ktm at an event to stand out.

itll be one of the smoothest running bikes if you line everything up right. it has a counterbalancer for the blaster. parts are cheaper and have the most reliable motors. just make sure to get an oil block off kit for the blaster motor so you can run premix. youll have to get the pipe for the ktm and a blaster flange part welded onto it. you can still run it in the 200 under class for hair scrambles too

I have a Blaster, and I think it's a cool idea. The Blaster motors are tough and simple, and there is a surprisingly good aftermarket for them. 30-35 hp is very doable too, should you need more power.

30 - 35 hp? With a cut head and port and polish I guess the list is endless big bore etc. I'm really not concerned with power at all. I feel that you're better off being able to use almost all of the power than to have too much and have to limit yourself.

itll be one of the smoothest running bikes if you line everything up right. it has a counterbalancer for the blaster. parts are cheaper and have the most reliable motors. just make sure to get an oil block off kit for the blaster motor so you can run premix. youll have to get the pipe for the ktm and a blaster flange part welded onto it. you can still run it in the 200 under class for hair scrambles too

I think I'd recommend leaving the injector pump there and running the oil tank. Ease of maintenance, and they were meant to run that way. I don't see a big advantage to bypassing it.

I think I would probably leave the oil injection on as well. A different tank would need to be fitted maybe behind the left side number plate, but then dual sport rides would be easy too. Just fill'er up at the station. My biggest worry on the whole thing is the back of the engine/swingarm pivot. I haven't taken a close look at the width of the bike or the engine.

I think I would probably leave the oil injection on as well. A different tank would need to be fitted maybe behind the left side number plate, but then dual sport rides would be easy too. Just fill'er up at the station. My biggest worry on the whole thing is the back of the engine/swingarm pivot. I haven't taken a close look at the width of the bike or the engine.

The oil injection pump has a plastic worm gear in it that is known to take a dump unexpectedly. Premix is your friend. I removed mine as soon as I got my blaster and have run premix the whole time.

Thanks doc speeder for your input. I have always been told that the injection is a reliable part? It really wouldn't matter much I guess either way. I would just love a reliable smoker again! I got the bike today and degreased and washed every little nook n cranny. Then I almost had my first accident on it - taking the chassis down steps into my basement without bars or brakes was a little tough! I'm still tossing around what to do with it :excuseme:. The motor is in a box and just looking into it gives me a headache plus what it would cost! A blaster setup would definately be alot cheaper than gettin this thing back to where it belongs with a ktm motor! Still just thinking alot, I need something with a lighting coil for running enduros so I'm kinda confined to a small selection of engine choices (blaster, kdx, rmx, old dt and that's about where my list ends)

I need something with a lighting coil for running enduros so I'm kinda confined to a small selection of engine choices (blaster, kdx, rmx, old dt and that's about where my list ends)

Suzuki PE should also make the list. However, why buy an old worn out motor? USE THE BLASTER motor. That bike will ROCK on the bar stop to bar stop single track. :excuseme:

I think my dreams were just crushed - the jug on the 200 that belongs in that bike is like the size of my fist. The blaster jug with the cooling fins is like the size of my head. Don't think it'll fit right with the gas tank or any of the gas tanks that are available for that bike :excuseme:. I guess you'll spend money somewhere! KTM's are so expensive but they come with MC titles and the jap bikes are cheaper but it costs about a grand to plate em. I'll just have to set the blaster motor in the frame to see how it all shapes up I guess