I wanted better front brakes on my XL600R, so here is what I did...

If the front brakes are the major hang-up for you on the XL600R, its an easily rectifiable situation. I just did it on my XL600. I got a front set-up off an RM250 (a modern one) that uses the same basic Nissin brakes (uses the very same pads as the XR650 L and R, CRFs, TRXs, RMs...countless other bikes) but the caliper and master cylinder is a more up to speed design, as in, its works. The only thing that needs modified is the bracket needs clearanced a tiny bit so the rotor bolts dont hit it. All I did to clearance the bracket was used my el cheapo Harbor Frieght bench grinder and held it against the outside edge. It was almost the same diameter as the rotor bolt pattern. I removed just enough material as needed. I have already rode the bike. Nothing hit (I did check before taking off) and the brakes work great!!!

xl600rebuild016.jpg

xl600rebuild017.jpg

xl600rebuild018.jpg

xl600rebuild023.jpg

xl600rebuild024.jpg

xl600rebuild036.jpg

• Like 1

nice find

what is the difference between older and newer brakes mechanically i.e. hydraulics, materials or size of calipers ???? oh and what years would be considered "newer"

when i did the fork switch on my kdx i had gone to the trouble of securing an rm brake and found my kdx one swapped right over ...

nice find

what is the difference between older and newer brakes mechanically i.e. hydraulics, materials or size of calipers ???? oh and what years would be considered "newer"

when i did the fork switch on my kdx i had gone to the trouble of securing an rm brake and found my kdx one swapped right over ...

Honestly, I dont know. Im guessing that someone engineered the master cylinder and the caliper to work on a higher pressure?? Its got more gripping power and its more progressive.

what year are your rm calipers???

Not sure as this set-up was given to me with the quote 'yours free if you can make it work'

Just start looking and be creative. There are lots a brakes out there from nissin. :excuseme:

I found when I changed out my fluid & got a good bleeding, there was a big improvement.

Thats what I was hoping for to no avail. I bleed them the old fashion way and used a mighty vac (which had never failed to show results-before this). If you like your stock brakes, have at it. Im just trying to illustrate that you arent locked in to the stock set-up. You can go another way. :bonk:

BTW, I was riding around my folks neighborhood this morning and some idiot in a cage was making a left into his driveway while playing with his phone. He damn near hit me (about six inches away). The brakes worked and he got an earful of fun!

I didn't get the results I wanted until I pressed the pistons on the caliper in while bleeding.

Trust me, this wasn't my first rodeo. I did everything I could. No results were satisfactory so I looked elsewhere.

To anyone else that is looking to talk down about my deal...please don't. Been there, done that. I may be new to the forum, but Im not new to bikes or working on them. Thank you anyhow. :excuseme:

I wasn't talking down on you, I was just so impressed by what a difference it made to press in the pistons to get that trapped air out that I want to post it wherever the chance arises to get the word out in the hopes that someone might apply it that might not have otherwise.

and while I'm bending your ear...does that master cylinder have any adjustment where the lever presses the piston? as in a adjustable screw/bolt?

If not, it should be easy to find aftermarket levers that do.

on that note maybe I should ask if anyone knows of any levers that do have a adjustment on them that will fit the XR650L? I would have to assume there are but would like to know what lever I can buy that does and will work?

I have done some looking but came up empty handed so far, no listing for the XR650L specifically.